Donations for the month of February

We have received a total of $100 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
gotribe
gotribe
Chicagoland
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,606
Posts50,992
Members923
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,376
Tom 3,398
chestnutmare 2,902
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,750
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,059
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 21
Tom 21
Ruben 2
cathmg 1
Tina 1
Recent Posts
A study of the Heidelberg Catechism
by gotribe. Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:07 PM
Particular Baptists and the Nicene Creed
by Tom. Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:17 PM
Major update for the forum
by Ruben. Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 AM
Egalitarianism
by Pilgrim. Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:13 AM
Judge Abusing His Office
by Tom. Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:34 PM
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:22 AM The Armor of God - by Paul Bayne (1573-1617) [by Tom]
Has anyone ever read The Armor of God - by Paul Bayne (1573-1617)
http://www.puritanpublications.com/store/products/the-armor-of-god-by-paul-bayne-1573-1617/
If so, is it worth buying?
Tom
0 2 Read More
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 PM Reformed Confessions of Faith and the Traditional Text [by Tom]
I came upon an article titled “Reformed Confessions of Faith and the Traditional Text” and as I read it, I started to realize that although I have studied this subject before and have even participated in a few discussions of this nature on the Highway’s boards. At present some of it is above my present knowledge concerning whether or not the article has its facts straight and even if it does, is it biasing those facts in order to project them towards their faulty presupposition? Although it is a study that one day I would like to go deeper on, at present to attempt such a study would take away from other important priorities. I thought however, it might be helpful to enquire on the Highway to see if the author’s claims are true.
To give an example, the author seems to believe that only the “Greek Textus Receptus (the printed edition of the Greek text at the time) along with the Byzantine manuscripts (the Traditional Text) upon which it was largely based and the Hebrew Masoretic Text” match what Matt. 5:18 says: “For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.”KJV
He goes on to say that this is what the Reformers themselves believed and he quotes some of them to prove his point. One quote he uses seemingly shows how John Owen himself believed the Textus Receptus to be authentic. The author says that John Owen (or the Reformers) would not agree with the conclusions in the modern critical text
By extension (if I understand the author’s point), I think he is probably saying that only Bible versions that have been translated from those texts are consistent with Matt. 5:18.
He also says something that I found interesting and I quote.
When the confession speaks of the original Greek and Hebrew as “being immediately inspired by God” it is often thought today to only be referring to the original autographs which are now lost. However, the confession proceeds to make clear that “immediate inspiration” is not referring merely to the autographs, but the text that came down to us through history for it goes on to states that it was “by his singular care and providence kept pure in all ages, are therefore authentic”.

The main reason I bring this up is because almost without exception, when I listen to Reformed pastors or theologians on this subject, they almost always refer to only the original autographs as inspired and without err. Most see no real problem with this in terms of doctrinal accuracy; they seem to pay more attention to the issue of Formal Equivalence vs. Dynamic Equivalence; at least in Reformed circles.
Another point the author made, in using only certain manuscripts was that the Reformers used them in direct opposition to Roman Catholic claims.
https://www.roberttruelove.com/reformed-confessions-of-faith-and-the-traditional-text/
Tom
8 229 Read More
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:34 PM Judge Abusing His Office [by Tom]
I was just made aware of a broadcast about a minister that was just handed a 30 day suspended sentence. For offending people at Planned Parenthood.
If you listen to this broadcast you will notice the judge actually say that calling someone a sinner is the same or worse than calling them an obsenity.
The 30 day suspended sentence will be served if the minister goes near any Planned Parenthood in the USA.
https://apologiastudios.com/shows/1/episodes/512

Tom
0 122 Read More
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:04 AM Particular Baptists and the Nicene Creed [by Tom]
I was just going through the board archives, because I was looking for information on the subject of the eternal generation of the Son. I came upon The begotten God Heresy - Wed Feb 11 2009 01:48 PM by Anthony

Something was said in that thread that I have never heard before. Basically it was said that "Particular Baptists" believe the Nicene Creed is heresy.
I was a little shocked at this because although I concider myself a Reformed Baptist, others who hold to the LBCF 1689 are more comfortable using the term "Particular Baptist".
This is the first time however I have heard anyone in the Baptist camp say that the Nicene Creed is heresy. In fact, many times I have heard sermons that talk about the Trinity, refer to the Nicene Creed..
Of course the LBCF that was used by Anthony is the 1646/1647 confession, not the 1689. However, what Anthony said is a new one on me. Then again, I have heard some who hold to the 1646/1647 confession make the claim that it supports New Covenant Theology. Yet, I see no evidence that they are correct.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me on this?

I might add, that in calling the Nicene Creed heretical Anthony has essentially called Baptists such as CH Spurgeon heretics. https://www.ccel.org/ccel/spurgeon/sermons13.xxxviii.html

Tom
4 280 Read More
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:44 PM Egalitarianism [by Tom]
Here is a question I was asked recently concerning egalitarianism.
What harm does egalitarianism really do?

It is easy to show from Scripture egalitarianism is unbiblical. So, it should be fairly obvious that those who are egalitarians have interpreted Scripture in light of the society around them; rather than let Scripture interpret itself.
Can you give other major reasons such as the harm it has done to Churches and the home?

Tom
3 267 Read More
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (chestnutmare), 1 guest and 116 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
robertolang, SmallFry, drewk, patrice, Robert1962
923 Registered Users
Shout Box
February
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28
Today's Birthdays
Myshkin
Popular Topics(Views)
703,305 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.056s Queries: 5 (0.024s) Memory: 2.3329 MB (Peak: 2.5995 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-02-22 20:58:55 UTC