Donations for the month of January

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,895
Posts52,057
Members943
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,688
Tom 3,731
chestnutmare 3,003
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,797
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 19
Pilgrim 16
Rick 14
Meta4 1
Recent Posts
Divorce
by Tom. Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:42 PM
Christ is all, in all Col 3:11- A Poem
by Rick. Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:20 PM
What's new in our age?
by Rick. Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:28 PM
And I Will Praise Him For Eternity
by Rick. Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:11 PM
The Depravity of man shows
by Rick. Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:03 PM
Being Born Again- John MacArthur
by Tom. Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:37 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum
25 minutes ago
Let me know if I understand what you said properly.
An elder is to be above reproach; but this means not perfect but respected by his biblical standards (my wording).
Could this mean that despite his biblical standards, he could become disqualified from being an elder, if his wife divorces him?
In the case I was talking about it appears because there ended up being a Church split, that he had lost the respect of the many in the local Church and when he refused to quit his pastoral position it caused a Church split.

Tom
5 32 Read More
Devotional
2 hours ago
Christ Is All, In All

Christ is all, In all
All the sufficiency we need,
He answered His Father's call
To redeem the elect indeed.

Christ alone, our hope and glory
The Rock on which we stand,
Jesus fulfilled redemption's story
The covenant, God's eternal plan.

Christ suffered and bled, in our place
Jesus our substitute, by Divine decree
We're forgiven, by God's amazing grace,
Justified from wrath, yes we are free.

We can approach the eternal throne
By adoption we are welcome there,
'Twas Christ's blood that didst atone
Oh how deeply our God cares.

Yes how great our Father's love
To save wretched sinners like we,
Matchless grace and perfect love
Love divine, how can it be?

'Tis Jesus, who came into the world
A second Adam to save us from the fall,
Infinite ocean, our sins were hurled
Christ is all, in all.

By, Richard D. Bates
0 2 Read More
Open Forum
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
What’s new in our age?
In our day, not similar to the church of the Reformation, or of the Puritans, we have music ministers, choirs, musical instruments, bands, solos, etc. We even find that national holidays have become part of the worship service. We see bands, concerts, special music, interpretive dance, skits and plays flooding the sanctuary. In the extreme, we find healing hours, prophetic ministries, prophesying rooms, barking in the Spirit, laughing in the Spirit, and the anti-Scriptural list goes on and on. In contrast to all this, from the time of the early church, to the recovery of the Gospel under the Reformation, to the second Reformation and the Puritan divines, even through to times surrounding Jonathan Edwards or the Princeton Theologians, there has been a general adherence to what the Bible taught concerning acceptable worship under the Regulative Principle (i.e. God alone determines the manner in which sinners are to approach Him). But what did they believe?
There is a growing need to study the doctrine of the church and the doctrine of worship. Ignorance on this subject is not bliss since God commands the gathering together of His people for the express purpose of worship (Heb. 10:25) according to His will. The Puritans knew the bible’s position on worship very well. Much of their writings were directed to this end. Worship should be reflected in the entire life of the believer as his manner of glorifying God. Without worship, men lose a sense of “Christian self.” That is why the unbeliever continues to to fill the void of his unregenerate heart with various worldly pursuits, activities, and bosom sins, because only true worship to the Creator of the Universe is meant to fill that void. They have a gnawing sense of emptiness when they neglect true worship, something God commands and requires they give, for God is the Sustainer of their being; every one of their sinful breathes testifies to God’s power in keeping them alive. Worship and the church, then, even on that base level alone, is one of the most important, if not the most important doctrine one could study.
The church is also having an identity crisis. Since they do not know their Bibles, they have lost a sense of who they are before God. See my good brother’s article on the Regulative Principle: Worship, Psalm Singing and Grape Juice here. Hopefully some, if not all of these articles, will help the church find her identity again, remembering the old paths that the church has always walked upon. Here, the people of God will remember again how to worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
C. Matthew McMahon, Ph.D., Th.D.
March, 2002
0 11 Read More
Devotional
Yesterday at 08:11 PM
And I Will Praise Him For Eternity

Oh God hath saved me, He alone is God
He wrought new birth deep in my heart,
I'm now on this narrow way that I trod
Jesus advocates for me right from the start.

Jesus my Jesus, suffered, bled and died
Crushed for iniquities, God was pleased,
Christ alone, It was Jesus crucified
God's wrath exhausted, God's wrath appeased.

In terrible hate they spat, lashed and beat
No mercy for Jesus, only mocking and pain,
'Twas pierced hands and pierced feet
Jesus suffered all this for my gain.

Cruel thorns pierced His holy head
Jesus' blood ran freely on that day,
Jesus was punished in my stead
His blood washed my guilty sins away.

Chosen by God, before the world began
In love, God predestinated me,
Through Jesus, God saved this sinful man
And I will praise Him for eternity.

By, Richard D. Bates
0 9 Read More
Open Forum
Yesterday at 08:03 PM
What a debased creature must he be!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Treasury of David")

"O Lord, You preserve both man and animals!" Psalm 36:6

"He supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills.
He provides food for the cattle and for the young ravens when they call." Psalm 147:8-9

"These all look to You to give them their food at the proper time.
When You give it to them, they gather it up;
when You open Your hand, they are satisfied with good things!" Psalm 104:27-28

All the myriads of creatures, rational and irrational, are fed by Jehovah's hand!
The countless animals,
the innumerable birds,
the inconceivable abundance of fish,
the all but infinite armies of insects--
all owe their continuance of life to God's unceasing care and provisions.

What an awesome view of God this presents to us!

What a debased creature must he be, who sees no trace of such a God, and feels no awe of Him!
0 11 Read More
Open Forum
Yesterday at 04:37 PM
Did you have a question related to this sermon?

Tom
1 83 Read More
Devotional
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:33 PM

Drying My Tears, My Child I Welcome You

I'm overwhelmed by God's sovereign love
How come He chose a wretch like me?
To think I'll be up in heaven above
And giving praises to Jesus eternally.

'Twas grace and mercy, so full and free
The Spirit didst open mine eyes,
The sovereign God brought redemption to me
'Twas Jesus on the cross, I am now justified.

Jesus paid the debt, for my great guilt
Oh glorious Savior is He,
He bought redemption, His blood He spilt
The Lamb of God, one day I'll see.

Jesus goes to prepare a place
Wondrous Heaven, 'tis glory and bliss,
Jesus the Lamb, I will behold His face
Oh Lord, I so look forward to this.

So undeserving, I'll bow my knee
With tears, I will say Jesus I thank you,
Outstretched arms, He says come to me
Drying my tears, my child I welcome you.

By, Richard D. Bates
0 27 Read More
Devotional
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:16 PM
Good theological and doctrinally sound hymns and poems touch my soul and help me to worship the Triune God. Rick
1 86 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:57 AM
Thanks Chestnutmare and Pilgrim

I had not noticed the part about NCT and as far as I am concerned, that is enough for not needing to know anything else. By the way, in case you did not know I hold to Baptist Federalism.

Tom
3 210 Read More
Devotional
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:42 PM

In You Alone I Abide

Hush my troubled soul
Come to Thy throne of grace,
Thou art sovereign, complete control
I draw near Jesus, my hiding Place.

Let my fears depart
Nor wrestle anymore,
Lord Jesus is my part
He’s my open door.

An Anchor behind the veil
Jesus is sure and strong,
Fiery darts seek to assail
There’s peace in Christ all day long.

Sins of past, seek to attack
But Thou art my strong tower,
Jesus supplies all I lack
‘Tis His righteousness every hour.

My Father so loves me
I’m completely sure,
Jesus is my surety
Through Him I can endure.

Though prone to fear
Thy Holy Spirit lives inside,
Oh precious Jesus, lovely and dear
In You alone I abide.

By, Richard D. Bates
0 99 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:34 PM
Thank you McKinly for this post. Thomas Boston writings have such a sweet aroma to them and are very experiential to the speaking to the soul.
1 279 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:28 PM
This leads us to consider the duties to be performed preparatory to the right observing of the Lord’s day. Now, we ought, the evening before, to lay aside our care and worldly business, that our thoughts may not be encumbered, diverted, or taken up with unseasonable or unlawful concerns about it. This is a duty very much neglected; and the omission of it is one reason of our unprofitable attendance on the ordinances of God on the Lord’s day. Thus, many keep their shops open till midnight; and by this means make encroachments on part of the morning of the Lord’s day, by indulging in too much sleep,—a practice which occasions drowsiness under the ordinances, as well as their thoughts being filled with worldly concerns and business while attending on them. We may add, that all envyings, contentions, evil surmising against our neighbor, are to be laid aside; since these will tend to defile our souls and deprave our minds, when we ought to be wholly taken up about divine things. Thus the apostle advises those to whom he writes, to ‘lay aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil-speakings, and as new-born babes to desire the sincere milk of the word, that they might grow thereby.’ Moreover, we are, the evening before, to endeavor to bring our souls into a prepared frame for the duties of the Lord’s day, by having our thoughts engaged in those meditations which are suitable to these duties. In particular, we are to consider the many lost sabbaths we have to account for or repent of, as also the wonderful patience of God, who has, notwithstanding, spared us to the approach of another sabbath; and what precautions are necessary to be used, that we may not profane or trifle it away. It would also be expedient for us to meditate on the vanity of worldly things, which we have laid aside all care about, and think how contemptible the gain of them is, if compared with communion with God, which is our great concern. Hence, we are to consider ourselves as having a greater work to transact with God on his own day, and desire to have then no disturbance from the world. To these meditations we ought to join our fervent prayers to God, that the sins committed by us in former sabbaths may be forgiven, that he may not be provoked to withdraw the influences of his Spirit on the approaching day, and that the world, with its cares, may not then be a snare to us, through the temptations of Satan, together with the corruption of our own hearts, whereby our converse with God would be interrupted. We ought to pray also that he would assist his ministers in preparing a seasonable word, which may be blessed to ourselves and others. Thus the apostle exhorts the church, to ‘pray always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and to watch thereunto with all perseverance, and supplication for all saints; and for him, that utterance might be given unto him, that he might open his mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel.’ We ought to be very importunate with God, that he would sanctify and fill our thoughts, from the beginning to the end of the Lord’s day, which he has consecrated for his immediate service and glory.
Ridgley, Thomas. A Body of Divinity. Vol. 2. New York: Robert Carter & Brothers, 1855. Print.
0 83 Read More
Devotional
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:15 PM

And We’ll All Join In The Lamb’s Wedding Feast

‘Twas on the cross at calvary
Jesus, He died so willingly,
To consummate redemption’s plan
God’s chosen ones of sinful man.

For God so loved His only Son
He chose Him a Bride, yes for His Son,
Christ came upon the Earth
Yes, through a holy virgin birth.

Christ would come to be a Man
Through God’s holy sovereign plan,
Beneath the Law He came to be
To obey God’s Law so perfectly.

The Triune God, how can it be
That Christ stepped out of eternity,
Substitution, in the elect’s place
Oh God hath shown such love and grace.

‘Twas time for Christ His day to face
To purchase the elect, the cross the place,
He was whipped and beaten so mercilessly
His visage was marred for the crowd to see.

A crown of thorns they jammed on His head
The horror of agony His blood ran red,
With spikes they nailed Him to the tree
Atoning sacrifice for sinners like me.

Propitiation to God, in darkness of wrath
To appease Christ’s Father, the chosen path,
An earthquake didst tear the veil
For the blood of the Lamb, it did avail.

“ It is finished “ ‘twas what Jesus didst say
Redemption’s plan was accomplished that day,
He gave up the Ghost, with bowed head
He breathed His last and Jesus was dead.

But glory to God, Jesus arose like He said
Conquering sin and conquering death,
Repent and believe on Jesus alone
And Jesus righteousness ‘tis your own.

God’s elect, they’re Jesus’ glorious Bride
One day in heaven the saved will abide,
God saved His chosen, the greatest to the least
And we’ll all join in The Lamb’s Wedding Feast.
By, Richard D. Bates
0 115 Read More
Devotional
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:35 AM
Jump to new posts A Poem [by Rick]
The New Birth Didst Make This All Understood

The man that I was, oh I truly do hate
How full of self so deep down inside,
Would this be my lot, would this be my fate
No! Jesus came with arms open wide.

He showed me my sin, how wretchedly deep
And for punishment of sin He bled and died,
He said, you are in my hands to keep
I was humbled by grace as I bitterly cried.

Surely God would have to punish my sin
I feel I'm more sinful than any other,
Yet He gave me grace that I stand within
Christ's a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

My Father loves me in spite of myself
Christ's righteousness has truly set me free,
And even though I deserve the lowest of hell
God's love is never endingly showered upon me.

Father, I humbly ask for your help each day
There are days when I feel lower than dust,
Please strengthen me for the journey I pray
For Father some days it's so very hard to trust.

Perfect I'm not, yet perfect You are
Jesus, your perfection allows me to stand,
Your righteousness is imputed to this clay jar
Propitiation was made the way God planned.

Jesus died to exhaust God's wrath
Redemption procured through Jesus blood,
Forgiven, I now walk the narrow path
The new birth didst make this all understood.

By, Richard D. Bates
0 74 Read More
Quotes
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:49 PM
Error today is posing as truth whereas truth has been delegated to the back burner and called error. In this post truth, post Christian world, the dictates of the father of lies are blinding " the minds of unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. II Corinthians 4:4 . But alas, even through the deception of lies masquerading as truth, God is Sovereignly unfolding the covenant of redemption, whereas He has chosen the elect, for which Christ was the substitute to make atonement and propitiation to secure the elects redemption. Truth and holiness shall always prevail. I just want to say Annie, this is a good quote from John Brown. I have Hebrews by him whim is a good commentary. I also like Pink. Luther, Calvin and Henry are what I have for Galatians commentaries. This is a great website and nice to meet you.
1 120 Read More
Open Forum
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:47 PM
nope I don't recall the "why" of the dietary laws. There may be something in Scripture that reveals that, but again, I can't recall any. What I do know is that Scripture doesn't forbid any type of food for Christians if consumed in moderation. Personal matters, e.g. allergies, etc. do restrict some from eating particular foods, but that isn't a matter of scruples which is what Paul addressed in 1Cor and Romans. Make careful note that the "weaker brother" has scruples based upon a misunderstanding of the Scriptures in regard to "liberty" in Christ. Those who have scruples based upon other matters are not included, e.g., it is wrong to eat anything that is not "organically grown", etc. etc. So, the "stronger brother" who rejoices in that liberty will refrain from eating or drinking of certain items when a weaker brother is in his midst so as to not offend him or worse yet to convince that brother to eat something to which he believes is biblically forbidden. This does NOT mean that the stronger brother should not take opportunities to open the Bible and show that "all things (food and drink) are good and given by God to be enjoyed. And lastly, the Church should NEVER take the position of a weaker brother, which would be a regression to bondage. grin
3 275 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:33 AM
Happy 24th Anniversary to The Highway!

This is our 24th year online. May the Lord glorify His holy Name and use The Highway for the upbuilding and strengthening of His saints.

And a highway shall be there; and a road, And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, But it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road, although a fool, Shall not go astray
. (Isaiah 35:8)
0 102 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:05 AM
Thanks for the part about the Hebrew translation.
It seems like when people can’t argue using the English text itself. They pull out something like that hoping the person can’t argue.

Tom
7 622 Read More
Quotes
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:46 AM
But how then may the Lord’s guidance be expected?... In general, He guides and directs His people, by affording them, in answer to prayer, the light of His Holy Spirit, which enables them to understand and to love the Scriptures. The Word of God is not to be used as a lottery, nor is it designed to instruct us by shreds and scraps, which, detached from their proper places, have no determinate import; but it is to furnish us with just principles, right apprehensions to regulate our judgments and affections, and thereby influence and direct our conduct.

~ John Murray
0 89 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:02 AM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
yep I agree that pursuing the subject with this particular individual would more than likely be an exercise in futility. [Linked Image]

Exactly my thoughts. One of my faults when it comes to these kind of disputes, is that I often spend too much time on them.
11 1,061 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:33 AM
From whatever perspective I consider this holy solemnity that we observe today, the picture of what happened long ago at the reestablishment of the temple of Jerusalem comes to mind: two very different experiences. On the one hand there was peace and blessing, and on the other mourning and contrition, sadness and joy, affliction and consolation, weeping and triumphant singing mixed together. Indeed, if I consider the reason we have come together, it is on the one hand to give thanks to God for so many favors that his paternal hands have shed on these blessed Provinces [of the Netherlands]. Who doubts that this is not reason for great joy? But we are also gathered together no less in order to lament the sad ravages that one of the most important sections of our mystical Zion3 has suffered and continues to suffer. Who could not see that here is the victim of the most raw and profound suffering that anyone can imagine? If then I lift my eyes on the people who make up this assembly I find both: some in good circumstances and some in bad circumstances, some in prosperity and some in calamity. And what is even more remarkable, is that I find people in these situations not separated out as were the darkness and the light when they divided the camp of the Israelites and that of the Egyptians, but I find them thrown together and mixed with each other through the admirable effect of our mutual love. “The love of Jesus Christ constrains us,” says Saint Paul. That is to say, that it ties us together, bonds us together and unites one with another. This is a wise saying of which you and I are today the living proof.

No silly "Prosperity Gospel" here! No "God loves everyone and if you will only let Jesus into your heart your life will be filled with your every wish..."! nope Jean Claude, who lived in the 17th century, and who knew very well about adversity, suffering and sorrow but who was given to know God and to rest upon all that He had revealed in Holy Writ, writes about the reality of life which God has ordained for all. As is typical of the "Doctors of the Soul" (Puritans), of which Rev. Claude was one of the first, he wasn't given to superficiality and theatrical antics, but rather he loved his congregations and delivered to them what was necessary for their spiritual life (cf. Acts 20:26-29). Thus, to start off this new year I thought it best by the Spirit's prompting to provide words of spiritual wisdom which is food indeed for those who strive after that prize awaiting them at the end of life. May this sermon supply in some measure the means for you all be conformed to the image of Christ and rejoice in God in ALL things knowing:

Romans 8:28-31 (KJV) "28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. 31 What shall we then say to these things? If God [be] for us, who [can be] against us?"

You can read this wonderful sermon now by clicking here: A Sermon by Jean Claude on Ecclesiastes 7:14.

And, for later reading, this article and all previous articles can be accessed by going to The Article of the Month archive.

In His service and grace,
0 259 Read More
Devotional
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:45 AM
One of the most obvious reflections suggested by the close of one year and the commencement of another, arises from the familiar figure by which life is compared to a journey, and the different years of life to successive stages in our course; for just as a traveller is reminded, by looking on a mile-stone, that he has left another stage behind him, and that he has one fewer before, so the commencement of another year should awaken the thoughtful reflection, how large a portion of life is already past, and how much less remains for us before we reach our final destination.

Were life bounded by a limit which, besides being fixed and certain in itself, was also ascertainable by each of us – could we all count securely on the full tale of three-score years and ten – even on that supposition we might be expected to be seriously impressed by the succession of one year after another, each vanishing away, and leaving a smaller number before us; for the youth might say: Twenty years are gone – twenty stages have been passed over – how short they seem in the retrospect! yet fifty more, and my race is run! And the man of mature age might say: More than the half of my allotted time is expired, and in less time than I have already spent I shall be in eternity. Thus, as one stage after another was completed, it were natural to count how many mile-stones have been passed, and to compute how few remain before us; but how much more natural, and how deeply solemn the thought in the actual circumstances of our case, that we have reached another distinct landmark in our course – we, who “know not what a day may bring forth,” and who are passing on with the assurance that beyond a certain limit, we cannot live; but at the same time in the constant hazard of an early and unexpected death!

The maximum of life is known – the minimum of life no man call tell. It is a journey which may extend to seventy stages, or may terminate in one. It is a voyage on a flowing stream, whose utmost reach may carry a few onward for threescore years and ten; but a stream which has many divergent channels opening at every point into the great ocean of eternity. Might not the close of one year and the commencement of another be expected, in such circumstances, to suggest the thought, that we have really no certainty except in regard to the years that are past and gone? We know of them that they are gone for ever, and can never return; but of the future we know only this, that our years are drawing fast to an end, and that possibly this may be our last. We know what stages have been passed over, but at any coming stage we may drop down and die; and the commencement of a new year is only a proof that we are nearer, by one long interval, to the end of our journey – nearer, by so much time, to heaven or hell.

Oh! if the last step – the step by which we pass from time to eternity – be so awful that the very thought of it harrows up our feelings, and makes our flesh creep and our blood run cold, should not every step we take in advance towards it be solemn, and should not every year, which brings us nearer to death, leave us more ready to die?

‘For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.’ ~ John 3:1

~ Dr. James Buchanan
0 136 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 88 guests, and 145 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ROB, Rick, Teofil, Lamb, Zishan Ladha
943 Registered Users
Shout Box
January
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
1,036,421 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.039s Queries: 6 (0.004s) Memory: 2.5123 MB (Peak: 2.7289 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2020-01-19 04:07:59 UTC