Donations for the month of December

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
li0scc0
li0scc0
South Dakota
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,872
Posts52,000
Members940
Most Online506
Dec 8th, 2019
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,674
Tom 3,715
chestnutmare 2,998
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,797
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 13
Tom 9
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Total Inability
by Mckinley. Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:11 PM
Galilean history
by chestnutmare. Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:37 AM
2nd Commandment and Christmas
by Pilgrim. Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:20 AM
Lordship Salvation Why So Controversial?
by Pilgrim. Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:50 AM
Heidelberg
by Mckinley. Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:29 AM
What is Lent?
by Mckinley. Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:25 PM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Devotional
Yesterday at 07:11 PM
Hearken then, O unregenerate man, and be convinced that as you are in a most miserable state by nature, so you are utterly unable to recover yourself any way. You are ruined; and what way will you go to work to recover yourself? Which of the two ways will you choose? Will you try it alone, or will you make use of help? Will you fall on the way of works, or on the way of the Gospel? I know very well that you will not so much as try the way of the Gospel, till once you have found the recovery impracticable in the way of the law. Therefore, we shall begin where corrupt nature teaches men to begin, namely, at the way of the law of works... Thomas Boston
0 10 Read More
Open Forum
Yesterday at 01:37 PM
And don't forget foodstamps (EPT cards), subsidized housing, driver's licenses, voting privileges, etc. rofl
2 56 Read More
Quotes
Yesterday at 01:34 PM
The Scriptures are the word of God. What title can there be of greater value? What may be said of them to make them of greater authority, than to say, “The Lord hath spoken by them? that they came not by the will of men, but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost?” (II Peter 1:21) At the word of proclamation of an earthly prince we stand up and vail our bonnets, and give good heed to it; we are bound so to do, it is our duty: such honour belongeth to the powers that are placed to rule over us; for they are ordained of God. And whosoever resisteth them, resisteth the ordinance of God.

~ John Jewel
http://the-highway.com/scripture_Jewel.html
0 3 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Yesterday at 12:20 PM
Unfortunately, your "logic" doesn't follow as a means of discrediting the long-standing understanding of the Second Commandment in Reformed denominations/churches and by myriad capable biblical scholars. We believe that given the CONTEXT of the commandment and a plethora of biblical examples of prohibitions and severe punishments against idolatry, with or without physical idols, there are two parts to be understood and observed. 1) no fabrication of an alleged physical representation of any/all of the three persons of the Trinity for any reason whatsoever, which should be more than 'logical', nor even a mental fabrication of any of the three Persons of the Godhead, and 2) no false worship of the one true God using any fabricated means, nor imaginary means not specifically commanded in Scripture or by good and necessary inference/example.

Art, in and of itself is most certainly not forbidden.

- The Westminster Larger Catechism Q&A 109
- The Heidelberg Catechism LD 35 Q&A 96-98
- Ursinus' Commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism
- Calvinism and the Reformed Faith > Ecclesiology > Worship (several salient articles on the Second Commandment, Worship and Visual Arts.
4 251 Read More
Yesterday at 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by li0scc0
The problem with Lordship salvation is that it completely undermines the concept of salvation by grace through faith. It adds works as a condition of salvation. It is basically telling Calvin and Luther ‘nice try but we like our works’.

Can you give one or more examples from whatever literature you have read where you think this denial of grace through faith is substantiated?
6 1,353 Read More
Quotes
Yesterday at 11:32 AM
Get humble and abasing thoughts of yourself. The humble is ever the patient man. Pride is the source of irregular and sinful passions. A lofty, will be an unyielding and peevish spirit. When we over-rate ourselves, we think that we are treated unworthily, that our trials are too severe: thus we cavil and repine. Christian, you should have such thoughts of yourself as would put a stop to these murmurings. You should have lower and more humiliating views of yourself than any other one can have of you. Get humility, and you will have peace whatever be your trial.

~ John Flavel
0 6 Read More
Quotes
Yesterday at 11:31 AM
Rise mightily against the first actings of your distemper, its first conceptions; suffer it not to get the least ground. Do not say, “Thus far it shall go, and no farther.” If it have allowance for one step, it will take another. It is impossible to fix bounds to sin. It is like water in a channel—if it once break out, it will have its course. Its not acting is easier to be compassed than its bounding. Therefore does James give that gradation and process of lust (1:14-15), that we may stop at the entrance. Do you find your corruption to begin to entangle your thoughts? Rise up with all your strength against it, with no less indignation than if it had fully accomplished what it aims at. Consider what an unclean thought would have; it would have you roll yourself in folly and filth. Ask envy what it would have—murder and destruction is at the end of it. Set yourself against it with no less vigor than if it had utterly debased you to wickedness. Without this course you will not prevail. As sin gets ground in the affections to delight in, it gets also upon the understanding to slight it.

~ John Owen
0 6 Read More
Quotes
Yesterday at 02:40 AM
Be careful to keep a humbled soul that does not think too highly of itself, for humility is patient and does not exaggerate injuries.

A proud man considers things as heinous or intolerable that are said or done against him. He that thinks lowly of himself sees things done or said against him as of little significance. He that magnifies himself sees offences against him also magnified. Pride is a very impatient sin: There is no pleasing a proud person, without a great deal of wit, care, and diligence. You must take as much care around him as you do around straw or gunpowder when you are holding a candle [Proverbs 13:10; 28:25; 21:24; Psalm 21:24]. Humility, meekness, and patience live and die together!

~ Richard Baxter
0 8 Read More
Quotes
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:09 PM
Some may not fear death but may dread the way they might die. Long illness, great pain, or some form of violence could be the means of bringing our earthly life to an end. We shall be wise if we are always ready for any experience which God may allow us to pass through. Is it not right that He should do what He will with His own? Is not His will infinitely holy, wise, just and good in all things? Does He not know what is best for us and what will bring most glory to Himself? Very many people have found they have been able to endure the things they have dreaded most because much more strength and peace of mind have been given them than they could ever have expected.
~ John Owen.
0 27 Read More
Devotional
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:29 AM
On the same subject:

[T]here is but one object in which this true comfort can be sought and found: the all-sufficient God and His blessed communion. This is the only and highest good, and apart from this good there is none other in which a wretched sinner could find this true and essential comfort for his poor soul. The soul has miseries, needs, and desires that are infinite in dimension, and everything apart from God is finite and deficient.

Theodorus VanderGroe, The Christian's Only Comfort in Life and Death: An Exposition of the Heidelberg Catechism, trans. Bartel Elshout, ed. Joel R. Beeke (2 vols, Grand Rapids MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 2016), 1: 5.
1 70 Read More
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 PM
Thank you for the clarity, when I said a ‘’false link of study’’, the podcast guest basically said if you hold to the Reformed Faith it should not be a question that we should not participate in the event of Lent, being that its not found in the Bible, thus making a holiday from tradition not scripture.
3 155 Read More
ExCharisma
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:25 PM
Thoughts? I would argue they are very inconsistent. It is an incorrect position. It is surprising to me that any could have said position....
HOWEVER....many of us, myself included, have positions OTHERS would consider inconsistent. This i NOT a post to say 'anything goes'...far from it! But when we notice what we deem an inconsistency...we should explore it further, to ensure it IS so.
3 7,263 Read More
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:18 PM
I actually thought it was a somewhat weak position. If TULIP is important (and it is), I've never understood why Reformed Churches wouldn't only allow communion for members and/or members in churches with 'similar enough' theological tenets (e.g. PRCA, RCUS, OPC, etc.).
2 792 Read More
Devotional
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:14 PM
Thank you. Always an aficionado of Hoeksema! Even if I don't agree with this 100%, his words are to be studied.
1 87 Read More
Devotional
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:40 AM
"He that slandereth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his companion, nor raiseth up a calumnious report against his neighbor." Psalm 15:3

David, after having briefly set forth the virtues with which all who desire to have a place in the Church ought to be endued, now enumerates certain vices from which they ought to be free. In the first place, he tells them that they must not be slanderers or detractors; secondly, that they must restrain themselves from doing any thing mischievous and injurious to their neighbors; and, thirdly, that they must not aid in giving currency to calumnies and false reports.

Other vices, from which the righteous are free, we shall meet with as we proceed. David, then, sets down calumny and detraction as the first point of injustice by which our neighbors are injured. If a good name is a treasure, more precious than all the riches of the world, (Proverbs 22:1,) no greater injury can be inflicted upon men than to wound their reputation. It is not, however, every injurious word which is here condemned; but the disease and lust of detraction, which stirs up malicious persons to spread abroad calumnies. At the same time, it cannot be doubted that the design of the Holy Spirit is to condemn all false and wicked accusations. In the clause which immediately follows, the doctrine that the children of God ought to be far removed from all injustice, is stated more generally: Nor doeth evil to his companion.

By the words companion and neighbor, the Psalmist means not only those with whom we enjoy familiar intercourse, and live on terms of intimate friendship, but all men, to whom we are bound by the ties of humanity and a common nature.

He employs these terms to show more clearly the odiousness of what he condemns, and that the saints may have the greater abhorrence of all wrong dealing, since every man who hurts his neighbor violates the fundamental law of human society. With respect to the meaning of the last clause, interpreters are not agreed. Some take the phrase, to raise up a calumnious report, for to invent, because malicious persons raise up calumnies from nothing; and thus it would be a repetition of the statement contained in the first clause of the verse, namely, that good men should not allow themselves to indulge in detraction.

But I think there is also here rebuked the vice of undue credulity, which, when any evil reports are spread against our neighbors, leads us either eagerly to listen to them, or at least to receive them without sufficient reason; whereas we ought rather to use all means to suppress and trample them under foot. [295] When any one is the bearer of invented falsehoods, those who reject them leave them, as it were, to fall to the ground; while, on the contrary, those who propagate and publish them from one person to another are, by an expressive form of speech, said to raise them up.

~ John Calvin, Psalms commentary
0 29 Read More
Quotes
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:00 AM
It is very apparent from the Word of God that He often tries the faith and patience of His people when they are crying to Him for some great and important mercy, by withholding the mercy sought for a season; and not only so, but at first He may cause an increase of dark appearances. And yet He, without fail, at last prospers those who continue urgently in prayer with all perseverance and "will not let him go except He blesses.

~ Jonathan Edwards.
0 23 Read More
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tom
(My words not theirs, from my understanding of their argument. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding them.)

The fact that Jesus is 100% human and 100% God, makes it impossible for Jesus to sin even in His humanity. To say otherwise we divide the two natures as though they are two separate persons.

I don’t quite follow their logic; but that is my understanding.

That's because it is not logical. rolleyes2

Again, I and those who believe in the peccability of Christ do NOT believe there are two separate persons... but two indivisible and separate natures. The Scripture is replete with passages which reveal the two separate natures of Christ. God does not thirst, hunger, feel pain, grow in knowledge, submit in obedience to any human, die, etc., etc. All these things+ are applicable to man. Again, the Chalcedonian Creed makes clear that you cannot separate the two natures but you cannot intermix the two natures thus changing their respective qualities and attributes.

Therefore, following the holy fathers, we all with one accord teach men to acknowledge one and the same Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, at once complete in Godhead and complete in manhood, truly God and truly man, consisting also of a reasonable soul and body; of one substance with the Father as regards his Godhead, and at the same time of one substance with us as regards his manhood; like us in all respects, apart from sin; as regards his Godhead, begotten of the Father before the ages, but yet as regards his manhood begotten, for us men and for our salvation, of Mary the Virgin, the God-bearer; one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, recognized in two natures, without confusion, without change, without division, without separation; the distinction of natures being in no way annulled by the union, but rather the characteristics of each nature being preserved and coming together to form one person and subsistence, not as parted or separated into two persons, but one and the same Son and Only-begotten God the Word, Lord Jesus Christ; even as the prophets from earliest times spoke of him, and our Lord Jesus Christ himself taught us, and the creed of the fathers has handed down to us.
10 670 Read More
Devotional
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:09 AM
Remember that if you are a child of God, you will never be happy in sin. You are spoiled for the world, the flesh, and the devil. When you were regenerated there was put into you a vital principle, which can never be content to dwell in the dead world. You will have to come back, if indeed you belong to the family.

C.H. Spurgeon
0 74 Read More
Devotional
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 PM
Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it. - Isaiah 46:9
0 82 Read More
Devotional
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:32 PM
Divisions and separations are most objectionable in religion. They weaken the cause of true Christianity...But before we blame people for them, we must be careful that we lay the blame where it is deserved. False doctrine and heresy are even worse than schism. If people separate themselves from teaching that is positively false and unscriptural, they ought to be praised rather than reproved. In such cases separation is a virtue and not a sin.- JC Ryle, Warnings To The Churches
0 75 Read More
Quotes
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 PM
Afflictions cannot injure when we blend them with submission.

Ice on trees will bend many a branch to the point of breaking. Similarly, I see a great many people bowed down and crushed by their afflictions. Yet every now and then I meet someone who sings in affliction, and then I thank God for my own circumstances as well as his. There is never a song more beautiful than that which is sung in the night. You may remember the story of a woman who, when her own child died, looked toward heaven as with the face of an angel and said, "I give you joy, my sweet child." That solitary, simple sentence has stayed with me for many years, often energizing and comforting me.

~ Henry Ward Beecher.
0 62 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:29 AM
“Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.”—Mark 5:19

Charles Haddon Spurgeon preached a Christmas sermon on this text on December 21, 1856. Instead of preaching on the Incarnation of the eternal Son of God, Spurgeon chose to preach to his congregation and now us who read that sermon, of the effects of that glorious day and all that followed the Lord's 3-year ministry. Let the world have its pagan ways but don't let it destroy the biblical and glorious announcement of the coming of God in the flesh to save His people from their sins and grant them eternal life in Him.

You can read the 'Prince of Preachers' sermon now by clicking here: Going Home - A Christmas Story.

OR

You can always find it for later reading on The Highway website by clicking on the "Article of the Month" logo.

In His service and grace,
0 247 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:48 PM
Comfort for Christians Without a Sound Church

Perhaps you have found that sadly there is no good church to attend in your area, that is, one that preaches the true Gospel, administers the sacraments properly, and exercises Biblical discipline. Perhaps you also have decided, Biblically and prayerfully, that the only course you feel at liberty to pursue is to meet separately without a pastor/elders. I want to give you, my brethren, first a word of comfort and secondly a couple of directions/cautions that God may bless to your benefit.

C. H. Spurgeon wrote this in his Cheque Book of the Bank of Faith for July 18th:

'I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her' (Hosea 2:14)

The goodness of God sees us allured by sin, and it resolves to try upon us the more powerful allurements of love. Do we not remember when the Lover of our souls first cast a spell upon us and charmed us away from the fascinations of the world? He will do this again and again whenever He sees us likely to be ensnared by evil.

He promises to draw us apart, for there He can best deal with us, and this separated place is not to be a Paradise, but a wilderness, since in such a place there will be nothing to take off our attention from our God. In the deserts of affliction the presence of the Lord becomes everything to us, and we prize His company beyond any value which we set upon it when we sat under our own vine and fig tree in the society of our fellows. Solitude and affliction bring more to themselves and to their heavenly Father than any other means.

When thus allured and secluded the Lord has choice things to say to us for our comfort. He 'speaks to our heart,' as the original has it. Oh that at this time we may have this promise explained in our experience! Allured by love, separated by trial and comforted by the Spirit of truth, may we know the Lord and sing for joy!

I would further apply this passage and these thoughts to your situation of being "churchless". In many ways God has drawn you aside from what may have been a joyful experience in a once sound church into a seeming wilderness. Take comfort that Christ has commanded this providence for your benefit! He has brought you to a place calculated to make room for HIM. Being in this wilderness "devoid of the normal supports and comforts" is like the situation of the disciples in the boat on the sea in the great storm (John 6:15-21). In this "wilderness" of great trouble and affliction of soul Christ heightened their appetite for HIM: "But He saith unto them, 'It is I, be not afraid.' Then they WILLINGLY RECEIVED HIM INTO THE SHIP" (verses 20-21a). What better comfortable words can the Savior speak to humble souls than "It is I, be not afraid"? May God bless all of you in such a condition of not having a sound church, with His Words of comfort.

I also need to give a few brotherly directions and cautions to you. Please remember that though you are the Church even if you only have two or three Christians gathered in the name of Christ. That is, you constitute a real assembly of Christ, yet you are not to suppose that you are in the most beneficial existence for a church. What I mean is this: More than one Christian gathered in the name of Christ to learn his doctrine and worship his person is in essence a church, a place where Jesus has assured us of his presence! In this condition you are essentially a church. However, you do not have a minister, elders, deacons or the sacraments. Thus you do not exist as beneficially as you have a right to. Christ gave to His church these officers for "the perfecting of the saints" (Eph. 4:11-15). There will be a "lack" in not having a minister and the other offices of the church of Christ. This then is a lawful but not ideal situation for you, my brothers and sisters.

Two things I would speak to you:

First, pray for a good, organized church to be raised up in your area and give of yourselves to help in it.

Second, pray for a humble heart to be able to sit under a faithful but imperfect ministry when God sends one. This is important, for the temptation is in listening to preachers on Sermon Audio, etc., or in reading the great old preachers' sermons (Calvin, Spurgeon, etc.), to think that unless they preach as good as they did or are seemingly as 'perfect' as they were, you cannot learn from or submit to them.

May the Lord use these thoughts from his Word to comfort and direct you in your walk with Him.

Pastor Joel Pankratz
0 315 Read More
Devotional
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:32 AM
We declare, upon Scriptural authority, that the human will is so desperately set on mischief, so depraved, and so inclined to everything that is evil, and so disinclined to everything that is good, that without the powerful, supernatural, irresistible influence of the Holy Spirit, no human will ever be constrained towards Christ.

Reference: Sermon on John 6:44.

Author: C.H. Spurgeon
0 130 Read More
Quotes
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:14 PM
Truth by its very nature divides. Where you have appeal to unity at the expense of truth all you can produce is uniformity.

~ William Webster
0 107 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 31 guests, and 119 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lamb, Zishan Ladha, Luke, Sonshine, CNAPS
940 Registered Users
Shout Box
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
1,022,590 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.044s Queries: 6 (0.004s) Memory: 2.5497 MB (Peak: 2.8175 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2019-12-13 15:13:13 UTC