Donations for the month of September

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,077
Posts52,528
Members949
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,814
Tom 3,849
chestnutmare 3,042
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,800
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 6
Recent Posts
Think of the Cross ~ Albert Barnes
by Rick Bates. Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:09 PM
Think of the Cross ~ Albert Barnes
by Rick Bates. Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:05 PM
Evangelism
by Tom. Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:07 PM
Article 17 of the Canons of Dordt
by Pilgrim. Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:35 PM
"Growth in Grace" by Archibald Alexander
by Pilgrim. Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:03 AM
Why did Christ came into this world?
by Pilgrim. Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:59 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:09 PM

Think of the cross, the nails, the open wounds, the anguish of His soul

(Albert Barnes, 1798-1870)

"For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God." 1 Peter 3:18

I entreat you to devote one solemn hour of thought to a crucified Savior--a Savior expiring in the bitterest agony.

Think of the cross, the nails, the open wounds, the anguish of His soul.

Think how the Son of God became a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, that you might live in Heaven forever.

Think as you lie down upon your bed to rest, how your Savior was lifted up from the earth to die.

Think amid your plans and anticipations of future gaiety, what the redemption of your soul has cost, and how the dying Savior would wish you to act. His wounds plead that you will live for better things.

"He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness" 1 Peter 2:24
0 55 Read More
Devotional
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:05 PM

Think of the cross, the nails, the open wounds, the anguish of His soul

(Albert Barnes, 1798-1870)

"For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God." 1 Peter 3:18

I entreat you to devote one solemn hour of thought to a crucified Savior--a Savior expiring in the bitterest agony.

Think of the cross, the nails, the open wounds, the anguish of His soul.

Think how the Son of God became a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, that you might live in Heaven forever.

Think as you lie down upon your bed to rest, how your Savior was lifted up from the earth to die.

Think amid your plans and anticipations of future gaiety, what the redemption of your soul has cost, and how the dying Savior would wish you to act. His wounds plead that you will live for better things.

"He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness" 1 Peter 2:24
0 55 Read More
Quotes
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:06 AM
“Hence that dread and amazement with which as Scripture uniformly relates holy men were struck and overwhelmed whenever they beheld the presence of God. Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance until they have.” - John Calvin
0 56 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:07 PM
Pilgrim
1. Reformed Presbyterians?? Please expand on this term. Are you referring to Reformed Presbyterians as a denomination? If so, which one?

Actually my mistake, because Presbyterians are supposed to be Reformed. Perhaps what I am trying to say is Presbyterians who claim to have a high view of Scripture. I.e, are not part of the PCA, who have given into liberalism. Hope, that helps?

2. This is not something new. I remember it being expressed nearly 50 years ago by some. The view is based upon such passages as Acts 21:8; Matt 28:18,19, Eph 4:12, and 2Tim 4:5. True, there are specific people who are gifted and recognized as such who are commissioned to do evangelistic work, e.g., missionaries. But the typical Christian can and should make known the Gospel when given the opportunity... as a Disciple of Christ. Admittedly, the average Christian is quite limited since in our day, they are woefully untrained and ignorant of even the great and fundamental doctrines of Scripture. Are you doubtful of this? Just ask someone who professes to be a follower of Christ to explain the doctrine of justification in simple terms. I am not suggesting an answer such as the once popular ditty; "Just as if I'd never sinned" as an acceptable response. Or, how about explaining the Fall of mankind and its results? Catch my drift... snowbank? So, for the average professing Christian to faithfully present the biblical Gospel is typically a rare thing, I say with much consternation and sorrow. But again, may (permission) vs. can (ability) a Christian 'share the Gospel' to the world; Yes, for I see no prohibition or restriction on who may speak the truth in love to all as God provides the occasion to do so, whether at length or in part.

It should not surprise me that this is not new; but the funny thing is, even when I was an Arminian I was taught that we should as Christians spread the Gospel. I can remember when I first believed, how anxious I was to tell people about what the Lord had done for me. I really had no fear of man at the time and sometimes the Lord even in my naivety used that. For example, I remember back when I was about 20, sitting around a camp fire, late at night talking with a guy I have never met before. We were discussing life and that conversation sort of naturally went to the Lord. Some of the people sitting around the camp fire left and if I remember correctly they may have done so because they wanted no part of the conversation, lol.
Yet the person seemed to be drinking everything I said in. I had only been a Christian for a few months, but I literally loved reading and studying the Bible and much of what I said flowed from that. In the end, I remember the young man thanking me for the conversation and added that he was brought up in the Church, but had walked away. Yet, because of me, might just go back.
I could tell you a few other stories like that, however the point is. The Lord used me, simply because I was a willing vessel and I wanted to show my gratefulness to the Lord for what He had done for me. Nobody told me not to evangelize and if they had, I would have been shocked.
Some of my theology was a bit off back then, but I was sure hungry for His Word.
In some ways, I miss my zeal that came with my new found faith.

You asked if I doubt that the average Christian is woefully ignorant and untrained. Sigh, I don’t doubt this at all, I have had enough conversations with Christians to know this is true.
This is one of the reasons I am a big fan of Reformed catechism, which are a great tool in teaching doctrine.
To quote CH Spurgeon:
I am persuaded that the use of a good Catechism in all our families will be a great safeguard against the increasing errors of the times, and therefore I have compiled this little manual from the Westminster Assembly's and Baptist Catechisms, for the use of my own church and congregation. Those who use it in their families or classes must labour to explain the sense; but the words should be carefully learned by heart, for they will be understood better as years pass.
http://www.reformedreader.org/ccc/puritan_catechism.htm
2 247 Read More
Open Forum
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:35 AM
Indeed you do understand what the Canons are teaching in Article 17 correctly. This is a classic statement of the infamous "Presumptive Regeneration". As I have so often stated here and elsewhere... I categorically reject this one article of the Canons of Dordt to which I have a great respect and love. I find not one shred of evidence in Scripture to support that view. And interesting enough, the authors of the Canons don't supply even one single passage to support this article. It is more often than not that 1Samuel 12:14-31 is referenced, and particularly verse 23 to give proof that David's son Chilead, aka: Daniel whose life was taken as an infant by God for David's sin of being guilty in the death of Uriah, was saved. But if one reads this verse carefully and without a presuppositional bias, David is simply saying that he (David) would eventually die and be as his dead son. And if one wishes the text to mean that David would actually see his son after his death, there is absolutely no warrant to make this a universal doctrine of salvation of infants of believing parents who die in infancy are infallibly saved. The Westminster Confession, Chapter 10 - Article 3 I believe states the truth in this matter as does the Savoy Declaration:

III. Elect infants, dying in infancy, are regenerated, and saved by Christ, through the Spirit, who works when, and where, and how He pleases: so also are all other elect persons who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.

Peter, in his Pentecostal sermon makes it even more clear with these words:

Acts 2:37-39 (ASV) 37 Now when they heard [this,] they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and the rest of the apostles, Brethren, what shall we do? 38 And Peter [said] unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins; and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For to you is the promise, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call unto him.

The bolded part of the text is speaking of the "effectual calling" of God to whom the promise of the Holy Spirit is given, which is ONLY applicable to the elect (cf. Rom 8:29,30).

What can be incontrovertibly presumed based on the infallible Word of God is that ALL without exception are born dead in sin and under the just wrath of God for they own the punishment of their father Adam, i.e., Original Sin; imputed guilt and corruption of nature. (Eph 2:1-5; Rom 5:12; 1Cor 15:21,22). Being born to one or more believing parents has no inherent guarantee of salvation to the children, whether they die in infancy or grey haired.
1 194 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:03 AM
It is a biblical axiom that those who profess to have been united to the LORD Christ by a living faith with possess and live by a lively faith. Their lives will be a constant putting off the 'old man' and a putting on the 'new man'; being transformed into the image of Christ himself (Eph 2:10; 4:23-24; Col 3:10; 1Pet 1:14-15).

Archibald Alexander (1772-1851), the first president of the newly established Princeton Seminary, is the author of this month's Article of the Month. His subject is the Christian's "Growth in Grace". He careful sets out "We shall here present some practical directions how to grow in grace and make progress in piety." And then he deals with those things which can and often do impede growth in grace and thus make the necessary changes in our life to get back on the track of progressing in our sanctification, all of which depends upon the work of the Spirit in us (Phil 2:12,13). So, if you have a perfect Christian life then this article will be of no use to you. But if you are like most who have been delivered from darkness and brought to the light of Christ Jesus through the regeneration of your corrupt and spiritually dead soul, this article will be of great value to you in your progression in grace and holiness.

Read this month's article now by clicking here: Growth in Grace.

And, as always, you can read it later at your leisure by visiting The Highway homepage and clicking on the "Article of the Month" logo where you will see this month's article and all past articles.

In His service and grace,
0 131 Read More
Quotes
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:58 PM
"I hate pride and arrogance!"
Proverbs 8:13

"God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
1 Peter 5:5

Humility may be defined as consisting in:
1. a profound self-abasement before God, arising from a deep sense of our sinfulness;
2. and in a low estimation of ourselves, as we stand related to our fellow creatures, whatever is the extent of our attainments, or the importance of the station we occupy.

Upon this subject, too much stress cannot be laid--for without humility, true religion cannot possibly exist. A proud Christian is a contradiction in terms. We might as well speak of a wise fool, of a wicked saint, of a sober drunkard, or of a chaste harlot--as of a proud Christian! We may as soon expect delicate flowers to flourish in the frozen and barren regions of Siberia—as that true piety should grow in the heart that is proud and haughty. A vine might as well thrive when a worm is gnawing at its root—as that the soul should prosper and be in health, when its arrogance and pride are not subdued.

One of the Fathers of the Church, when asked which was the first principle in religion, replied, Humility. When asked which was the second, he said, Humility. And when asked which was the third, he again answered, Humility. So important was this grace in his estimation, that he regarded it as the beginning, the middle, and the end of true godliness. And we may truly say that where humility is absent, everything else in religion, is in vain. A person may possess the most splendid talents—he may have the gift of miracles, and the knowledge of all mysteries—but without true humility he is, in the sight of God, nothing but sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.

~ John MacDuff, The Footsteps of Jesus, 1856
0 92 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:59 AM
Originally Posted by godrulez
The way is narrow that leads to life and FEW are those who find it. The road is wide that leads to destruction and MANY are those who enter through it.

Dr. Paul Elliott did a series on the subject of "FEW", i.e., the biblical teaching concerning the reality of the "Remnant" who are marked for salvation in Christ. I found part two to be especially 'on the mark', perhaps since I have held to this truth for decades and found that it is more than unpopular among professing Christians. Today, of course, such a view would be defined as being 'Zenophobic' by the world and near heresy by the visible church. TRUTH MATTERS! grin And it is in that truth that God's people are sanctified and who are being conformed to the image of Christ. (Jh 17:17; Rom 8:29)

Oh yeh, I almost forgot. Here's a link to Part 2 of Paul Elliott's article: God Deals in Remnants: A Minority Within A Minority
5 1,195 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:53 PM
Anthony,

I was able to access the article of Chris Hedges before you removed the link. evilgrin When you write, "Their foundation is utterly faulty....", you are guilty of gross understatement. To me, it nothing short of blatant blaspheme and a total rejection of the divinely inspired written Word of God; as God purposed in both its content and use, i.e., to bring helpless, hopeless God-hating sinful men to redemption and reconciliation to Himself. But neither in Cone, Reinhold Niebuhr, Karl Barth, nor I dare say not one single professor who taught at the institutions he matriculated at knew anything about biblical Christianity. Cone simply swallowed hook, line and sinker of Liberal Theology and then regurgitated his own eisogetical fantasies to what he hated most, either real or imagined.

So, after suffering the laborious chore of reading through that tripe I wondered why you thought it would be of some value to have me/us read it? giggle If nothing else, at least to this old man, what Cone, Martin Luther King, Jr. et al of the same ilk were lost in philosophically and religiously, what we see being loudly proclaimed in today's denunciation of straight white people and nearly everyone who is not a minority of some kind which is being used to justify mass destruction of property, looting and even murder is their mindless musings come to fruition. Is this what the Lord Christ taught and intended for His disciples? Is this the fruit of true regeneration of the soul and newness of life? igiveup
3 614 Read More
Devotional
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:27 AM
From the pen of the Holy Spirit through the Apostle Paul to all who have ears to hear.

1 Corinthians 1:26-31 (ASV) 26 For behold your calling, brethren, that not many wise after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]: 27 but God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put to shame them that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong; 28 and the base things of the world, and the things that are despised, did God choose, [yea] and the things that are not, that he might bring to nought the things that are: 29 that no flesh should glory before God. 30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who was made unto us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption: 31 that, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
0 146 Read More
Quotes
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:58 PM

"Let me now go to the field—and glean ears of grain." Ruth 2:2

Downcast and troubled Christian, come and glean today in the broad field of promise. Here are an abundance of precious promises, which exactly meet your needs. Take this one,

"He will not break the bruised reed—nor quench the smoldering wick." Does not that suit your case? A reed—helpless, insignificant, and weak; a bruised reed, out of which no music can come; weaker than weakness itself. A reed, and that reed bruised—yet, He will not break you; but on the contrary, will restore and strengthen you. You are like the smoldering wick—no light, no warmth, can come from you; but He will not quench you; He will blow with His sweet breath of mercy, until He fans you to a flame.

Would you glean another ear? "Come unto Me all who labor and are heavy laden—and I will give you rest." What soft words! Your heart is tender, and the Master knows it, and therefore He speaks so gently to you. Will you not obey Him, and come to Him even now?

Take another ear of corn, "Fear not, O worm Jacob—I will help you, says the Lord and your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel." How can you fear with such a wonderful assurance as this?

You may gather ten thousand such golden ears as these! "I have blotted out your sins like a cloud, and like a thick cloud your transgressions." Or this, "Though your sins be as scarlet—they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson—they shall be as wool." Or this, "The Spirit and the Bride say, Come, and let him who is athirst come, and whoever will—let him take the water of life freely."

Our Master's field is very rich; behold the handfuls. See, there they lie before you, poor timid believer! Gather them up, make them your own, for Jesus bids you take them. Do not be afraid, only believe! Grasp these sweet promises, thresh them out by meditation and feed on them with joy!
By, Charles Spurgeon
0 136 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:48 PM
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.

Tom
6 690 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulOR, godrulez, Wood, David Clarke, CharlieFry
949 Registered Users
Shout Box
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
1,129,820 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.037s Queries: 6 (0.003s) Memory: 2.4595 MB (Peak: 2.6613 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2020-09-18 22:58:29 UTC