Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of $0 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,764
Posts51,699
Members933
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,582
Tom 3,619
chestnutmare 2,950
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,779
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 14
Pilgrim 12
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Soteriology Question
by Pilgrim. Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:47 PM
Matthew 12:40
by Tom. Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:26 PM
The Resurrection Of The Lord Jesus Christ
by chestnutmare. Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:19 AM
Vacation in Cuba?
by Tom. Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:38 PM
Flat Earthers
by Tom. Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:17 PM
History of Calvinism
by Pilgrim. Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:13 PM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum
4 hours ago

Tom,
re: "I think that has been answered sufficiently..."

I wonder if you might point out the post which provides examples? I haven't seen any.
72 103,201 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Yesterday at 10:47 PM
1. What is this person's "witness test" to determine someone has been regenerated by the Holy Spirit without the Word? Hundreds of thousands throughout the world claim to be Christians but who are still dead in sin and don't have a clue what the fruit of the Spirit is after regeneration, etc.

2. It makes no difference what someone's experience has allegedly been. God is the ONLY source of true truth and that truth has been recorded for us by divine inspiration through men moved by the Holy Spirit which God ordained for that very task. How does one repent of their sins and believe upon Christ of whom they have absolutely no knowledge? scratch1

3. Even in the infallible Word, God has acted upon and used various individuals to accomplish His will yet were never regenerated, e.g., Cyrus and even a donkey. But those examples are NOT to be understood as 'normative' nor 'prescriptive'. Christians are responsible to do what God has commanded by law, precept and/or principle. And it is abundantly clear that faith comes by hearing/reading the Word of God for it is the power of God unto salvation. The NT is rife with examples and propositional statements that those whom God has called to faith in the Lord Christ did so through the Gospel. There is no other way to be found in Scripture. So, who do you want to believe???... some individual who claims to have had a vision or some 'gut feeling' about God and consequently must be regarded as regenerate... Or, what God has revealed about salvation in His inspired, infallible and inerrant Word? scratchchin
4 58 Read More
Quotes
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:40 PM
The essence of man's sin, the sum of his moral depravity, is to love himself supremely; to seek himself finally and exclusively; to make self, in one shape or another, the center to which all his busy thoughts, anxious cares and diligent pursuits, constantly tend. Self-love is the most active and reigning principle in fallen nature! SELF is the great idol which mankind is naturally disposed to worship... "Love is not self-seeking" (1 Cor. 13:5).
~ John Angell James
0 6 Read More
Devotional
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:19 PM
The Resurrection Of The Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:1-10)

"So then, let us realize the unity that we have with our Lord Jesus Christ, that is, He is willing to have a common life with us, and that what He has may be ours, even that He wishes to dwell in us, not in imagination, but in fact; not in an earthly, but in a spiritual manner; and in any case, that He so works by the power of His Holy Spirit that we are united to Him more than are the members of a body. And just as the root of a tree sends its substance and its power through all the branches, so we draw substance and life from our Lord Jesus Christ. And that is also why St. Paul says that our Paschal Lamb has been crucified and sacrificed, so nothing more now remains but that we keep the feast and that we take part in the sacrifice. And as in old time in the Law when the sacrifice was offered they ate, now also we must come and take our meat and spiritual food in the sacrifice which has been offered for our redemption. It is true that we do not devour Jesus Christ in His flesh, he does not enter us under our teeth, as the papist have imagined, but we receive bread as a sure and infallible token that our Lord Jesus feeds us spiritually with His body; we receive a drop of wine to show that we are spiritually sustained by the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. But let us observe well what St. Paul adds, that just as under the figures of the Law it was not permitted to eat bread that was leavened and of which the dough was bitter, now that we are no longer under such shadows, we must put away the leaven of malice, of wickedness, and of all our corruptions, and have bread or cake (says he) which has no bitterness in it. And how? In purity and sincerity. When, then, we come to approach this Holy Table, by which the Son of God shows us that He is our meat, that He gives Himself to us as our full and entire nourishment, and He wishes that now we participate in the sacrifice which He has once for all offered for our salvation, we must see to it that we do not bring to it our corruptions and pollutions to be mixed with it but that we renounce them, and seek only to be fully purified, so that our Lord Jesus may own us as members of His body, and that by this means also we may be partakers of His life. That is how today we must make use of this Holy Supper which is prepared for us. That is, that it may lead us to the death and passion of our Lord Jesus Christ, and then to His resurrection, and that we may be so assured of life and salvation, as by the victory which He has obtained in rising from the dead righteousness is given to us, and the gate of paradise has been opened to us, so that we may boldly approach our God, and offer ourselves before Him, knowing that always He will receive us as His children."

~ John Calvin, ~Delivered Easter Day
0 17 Read More
Quotes
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:53 PM
So if women are thus permitted to have their heads uncovered and to show their hair, they will eventually be allowed to expose their entire breasts, and they will come to make their exhibitions as if it were a tavern show; they will become so brazen that modesty and shame will be no more; in short they will forget the duty of nature...Further, we know that the world takes everything to its own advantage. So, if one has liberty in lesser things, why not do the same with this the same way as with that? And in making such comparisons they will make such a mess that there will be utter chaos. So, when it is permissible for the women to uncover their heads, one will say, ‘Well, what harm in uncovering the stomach also?’ And then after that one will plead [for] something else; ‘Now if the women go bareheaded, why not also [bare] this and [bare] that?’ Then the men, for their part, will break loose too. In short, there will be no decency left, unless people contain themselves and respect what is proper and fitting, so as not to go headlong overboard

~ John Calvin (Sermon on 1 Cor 11:2-3 in Men, Women and Order in the Church, trans Seth Skolnitsky, Presbyterian Heritage Publications, pp. 12-13)
0 10 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:38 PM
Thanks!
2 107 Read More
Open Forum
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:17 PM
Totally agree, the basic answer to why they believe this is important is because they say Scripture supports it.
They believe we must interpret Scrioture in the same way we come up with a YE.
They also say that Calvin himself was a Flat Earther. I have not seen proof of this, but I did see a quote from Calvin showing he believed it is rediculous to believe the earth rotates around the Sun. He said the earth is stationary and the Sun moves around the Earth.

Tom
11 397 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:13 PM
I ain't got the time nor inclination to fish through my set of the Ante-Nicene Fathers just to counter a bunch of heretics who believe in the non-biblical idea of "free-will". That there were those who lived before Augustine and held such a fallacious view is certain, for even during the time of the Apostles, there were heretics entering the Church, which the Apostles wrote about, e.g., Paul and Peter. Those who have held to the truth and those even today who believe "the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints." (Jude 1:3) have always been no more than a remnant. wink
1 330 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:02 PM
scratchchin grin
1 235 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:59 AM
Francis Schaeffer was an influential Christian philosopher and apologist particularly in the 1970's and 80's. And, he is probably best known for his study center in Switzerland called L'Abri in 1955. His books were widely received and read throughout the world and his two films, "How Should We Then Live?" (1976) and "Whatever Happened to the Human Race?" (1979) are still popular today in many conservative Christian circles. There are several articles written by Schaeffer on The Highway which have been taken from some of his writings which many enjoy reading.

The author of this month's article, Will Graham, having taken an interest in some of Francis Schaeffer's books years earlier decided to list 10 items which were a concern to Schaeffer during his lifetime, many of which have come to pass to one degree or another in our present day. I concur with Schaeffer's concerns when I see these things coming to fruition, both in the world and in the visible church. Perhaps after you read these 10 things, you will be as concerned? grin

You can read this month's Article of the Month here: 10 Concerns Francis Schaeffer Took to the Grave.

Or, you can always find this article and all past Article of the Month articles on The Highway Website and clicking on the "Article of the Month" logo.

In His service and grace,
0 201 Read More
Devotional
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:45 PM
[The Sovereignty of God]
5. IT AFFORDS A SENSE OF ABSOLUTE SECURITY

God is infinite in power, and therefore it is impossible to withstand His will or resist the outworking of His decrees. Such a statement as that is well calculated to fill the sinner with alarm, but from the saint it evokes naught but praise. Let us add a word and see what a difference it makes: - My God is infinite in power! then “I will not fear what man can do unto me.” My God is infinite in power, then “what time I am afraid I will trust in Thee.” My God is infinite in power, then “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety” (Ps. 4:8). Right down the ages this has been the source of the saints’ confidence. Was not this the assurance of Moses when, in his parting words to Israel, he said – “There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun (Israel), who rideth upon the heaven in thy help, and in His excellency on the sky. The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms” (Deut. 33:26, 27)? Was it not this sense of security that caused the Psalmist, moved by the Holy Spirit, to write – “He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God: in Him will I trust. Surely He shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou trust: His truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand, but it shall not come nigh thee… Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the Most High thy habitation; there shall no evil befall thee (instead, all things will work together for good), neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling” (Ps. 91)?

“Plagues and deaths around me fly;
Till He bids, I cannot die;
Not a single shaft can hit,
Till the God of love sees fit.”
~ John Ryland

O the preciousness of this truth! Here am I, a poor, helpless, senseless “sheep,” yet am I secure in the hand of Christ. And why am I secure there? None can pluck me thence because the hand that holds me is that of the Son of God, and all power in heaven and earth is His! Again; I have no strength of my own: the world, the flesh, and the Devil, are arrayed against me, so I commit myself into the care and keeping of the Lord and say with the apostle, “I know Whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day” (2 Timothy 1:12). And what is the ground of my confidence? How do I know that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him? I know it because God is almighty, the King of kings and Lord of lords.
0 143 Read More
Devotional
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:36 PM
[The Sovereignty of God]
7. IT BEGETS A SPIRIT OF SWEET RESIGNATION.

To bow before the sovereign will of God is one of the great secrets of peace and happiness. There can be no real submission, with contentment, until we are broken in spirit, that is, until we are willing and glad for the Lord to have His way with us. Not that we are insisting upon a spirit of fatalistic acquiescence; far from it. The saints are exhorted to “prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God (Rom. 12:2).

We touched upon this subject of resignation to God’s will in the previous chapter, and there, in addition to the supreme Pattern, we cited the example of Eli and Job: we would now supplement their cases with further examples. What a word is that in Lev. 10:3 – “And Aaron held his peace.” Look at the circumstances: “And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therin, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which He commanded them not. And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord…. And Aaron held his peace.” Two of the high priest’s sons were slain, slain by a visitation of Divine judgment, and they were probably intoxicated at the time; moreover, this trial came upon Aaron suddenly, without anything to prepare him for it; yet he “held his peace.” Precious exemplification of the power of God’s all-sufficient grace!

Consider now an utterance which fell from the lips of David: “And the king said unto Zadok, Carry back the ark of God into the city: if I shall find favour in the eyes of the Lord, He will bring me again, and shew me both it, and His habitation. But if He thus say, I have no delight in thee; behold, here am I, let Him do to me as seemeth good unto Him” (2 Sam. 15:25, 26). Here, too, the circumstances which confronted the speaker were exceedingly trying to the human heart. David was sore pressed with sorrow. His own son was driving him from the throne, and seeking his very life. Whether he would ever see Jerusalem and the Tabernacle again he knew not. But he was so yielded up to God, he was so fully assured that His will was best, that even though it meant the loss of the throne and the loss of his life, he was content for Him to have His way – “let Him do to me as seemeth good unto Him.”

There is no need to multiply examples, but a reflection upon the last case will be in place. If amid the shadows of the Old Testament dispensation, David was content for the Lord to have His way, now that the heart of God has been fully revealed at the Cross, how much more ought we to delight in the execution of His will! Surely we shall have no hesitation is saying –

“Ill that He blesses is our good,
And unblest good is ill,
And all is right that seems most wrong,
If it be His sweet will.”

~ AW Pink [The Sovereignty of God]
0 141 Read More
Devotional
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:29 PM
6. It Supplies Comfort in Sorrow

The doctrine of God’s sovereignty is one that is full of consolation and imparts great peace to the Christian. The sovereignty of God is a foundation that nothing can shake and is more firm than the heavens and earth. How blessed to know there is no corner of the universe that is out of His reach! as said the Psalmist, “Whither shall I go from Thy Spirit? Or whither shall I flee from Thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, Thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, Thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea: even there shall Thy hand lead me, and Thy right hand shall hold me. If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. Yea, the darkness hideth not from Thee: but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to Thee” (Ps. 139:7-12). How blessed it is to know that God’s strong hand is upon every one and every thing! How blessed to know that not a sparrow fall to the ground without His notice! How blessed to know that our very afflictions come not by chance, nor from the Devil, but are ordained and ordered by God: - “That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto” (1 Thess. 3:3)!

But our God is not only infinite in power, He is infinite in wisdom and goodness too. And herein is the preciousness of this truth. God wills only that which is good, and His will is irreversible and irresistible! God is too wise to err and too loving to cause His child a needless tear. Therefore, if God be perfect wisdom and perfect goodness, how blessed is the assurance that everything is in His hand, and moulded by His will according to His eternal purpose! “Behold, he taketh away, who can hinder Him? Who will say unto Him what doest Thou?” (Job 9:12). Yet, how comforting to learn that it is “He,” and not the Devil, who “taketh away” our loved ones! Ah! What peace for our poor frail hearts to be told that the number of our days is with Him (Job 7:1; 14:5); that disease and death are his messengers, and always march under His orders; that it is the Lord who gives and the Lord who takes away!

~ A.W. Pink [Sovereignty of God]
0 127 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AlexM, Ronald Bargebo, mottley, SnydersSoapbox, Susan
933 Registered Users
Shout Box
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
925,491 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.037s Queries: 6 (0.002s) Memory: 2.4573 MB (Peak: 2.6531 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2019-04-24 15:49:34 UTC