Donations for the month of July

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,046
Posts52,459
Members947
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,789
Tom 3,832
chestnutmare 3,036
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,799
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 1
Recent Posts
Image of God
by ATulipNotADaisy. Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:00 PM
Looking for quote
by Tom. Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:03 AM
"Growth" by J.C. Ryle
by Pilgrim. Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:09 AM
Consider Jesus ~ Octavious Winslow
by Rick Bates. Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:04 PM
My Soul, In Grateful Strains Record ~ Thomas Reade
by Rick Bates. Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:53 PM
Jesus, True And Living Vine ~ Thomas Reade
by Rick Bates. Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:48 PM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Theology Discussion Forum
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:00 PM
Thank you, Pilgrim. I have avoided as you mentioned. I am now trying to clear up and understand the correct doctrine as opposed to the error I had previously been exposed to. It is my hope that by doing so I can correctly inform people with whom I come in contact and that by putting my questions on this forum it may help it’s readers.
4 96 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:03 AM
Agree 100%
A little while ago I read the following: https://www.ligonier.org/blog/your-testimony-not-gospel/ it reminded me of what you said.

Tom
5 777 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:09 AM
The article for this month was authored by J.C. Ryle, of whom I hope many if not all of you are familiar with. The title of the article is "Growth", i.e., growth in holiness and the biblical text he used as a foundation for what he wrote is: “Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.” - 2 Peter iii. 18.

The subject of the text which heads this page is one which I dare not omit in this volume about Holiness. It is one that ought to be deeply interesting to every true Christian. It naturally raises the questions, Do we grow in grace? Do we get on in our religion? Do we make progress?

To a mere formal Christian I cannot expect the inquiry to seem worth attention. The man who has nothing more than a kind of Sunday religion - whose Christianity is like his Sunday clothes, put on once a week, and then laid aside - such a man cannot, of course, be expected to care about “growth in grace.” He knows nothing about such matters. “They are foolishness to him.” (1 Cor. ii. 14.) But to every one who is in downright earnest about his soul, and hungers and thirsts after spiritual life, the question ought to come home with searching power. Do we make progress in our religion? Do we grow?

I remember vividly, which is a rare thing for me lately giggle a phrase that a radio personality used to say at the end of every broadcast years ago which he obviously coined from this same text (2Peter 3:18)... "Grow in grace or groan in disgrace!" BigThumbUp

Enjoy!

You can go directly to this month's Article of the Month by clicking here: Growth.

OR

You can always find this article and all past articles of the month by visiting The Highway website, scrolling down the main page and click on the logo for the "Article of the Month".

In His service and grace,
0 54 Read More
Devotional
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:04 AM

His Atoning Blood

"The blood of Jesus, His Son, cleanses us from every sin." 1 John 1:7

The blood of Jesus is everything. It is the central doctrine of our faith, the present and eternal life of our souls. There is no pardon, no salvation, no heaven but by blood--the blood of the Lord Jesus. Were we to relinquish every other revealed truth, and concentrate upon this one our supreme and lasting study, resolving all our knowledge of the Bible into an 'experimental and personal acquaintance' with ATONING BLOOD--as, like a purple thread, it runs from Genesis to Revelation, it would not be a too exaggerated view of this vital and momentous subject. The blood is everything to us--it is everything to God. He provided it, is satisfied with it, beholds it, and when He sees it on the soul, that soul becomes a living and a lovely soul in His sight. May our meditation on atoning blood exalt our views of its dignity, increase in us its power, and endear to our hearts the preciousness of Him who shed it!

The blood of Jesus is DIVINE. It is the blood of God's Son, the God-man Christ Jesus. In this consists its sovereign virtue. The Divine nature of Christ rendered His obedience and death an offering and a sacrifice to God of a sweet-smelling savor.

The blood of Jesus is ATONING. It was shed for sin, it has made to Divine justice a full satisfaction for sin, it puts away sin. Is sin your burden, O my soul? Is it for your sins you do moan and weep, and are cast down? Behold, the sin-atoning blood of Jesus; believe, and weep no more. Here is that before which not a sin can stand.

The blood of Jesus is CLEANSING. It "cleanses us." Oh, this is what you do so deeply need, my soul! Sin-forgiving, guilt-removing, heart-cleansing, conscience-purifying blood. All this is the blood of Jesus to you. Wash in it, and you shall be whiter than snow. "He that is washed is clean, every whit." And mark the tense of the wonderful words on which this meditation is based--it is the present tense. The blood "cleanses." It has cleansed, it will cleanse, but, as touching our daily walk as believers in Jesus, we have to do with its present cleansing. In our Christian travel through a sinful world the feet are apt to slide, prone to wander, and are constantly contracting fresh defilement, needing the daily washing in the blood. What a sweet thought, O my soul! that the fountain is open, and the blood cleanses, even now cleanses us, from all sin.

The blood of Jesus SPEAKS. "The blood of Christ that speaks." Oh, what a voice has the blood of Jesus! What sweetness and majesty, what gentleness and power! It speaks, and the troubled conscience is at rest; it speaks, and the broken heart is healed; it speaks, and the tormenting doubt is hushed; it speaks, and the trembling fear is quelled. It speaks, also, within the veil. The voice of Jesus' blood is heard in glory, sweeter and louder than the voices of all the minstrels round about the throne. My soul, the voice of Jesus' blood pleads louder for you in heaven, than all your sins can plead against you on earth.

It is sprinkled blood--that is, APPLIED blood. Therefore it is called, "the blood of sprinkling." The blood of Jesus practically will not avail us unless applied to the conscience, just as the blood of the Paschal lamb had availed nothing to the Israelite, when the first-born of Egypt was slain, had it not been sprinkled upon his house. And so God said, "When I SEE the BLOOD, I will pass over you." O my soul! look well to this. Why is it that you are so doubting and fearful? Why are you not walking in a full sense of your pardon and acceptance in JESUS–basking in the sunshine of a present and assured salvation? Is it not because you are stopping short of the applied blood? Oh, come to the blood, the blood of sprinkling! Keep no guilt upon your conscience, no anguish for uncleansed sin in your heart; but wash daily in the precious blood of Christ, which cleanses from ALL sin.
0 213 Read More
Devotional
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:53 PM

My soul, in grateful strains record
The love of your redeeming Lord;
To all around his praises tell,
Who snatched you from the verge of hell.
Why should Jehovah condescend
To call himself the sinner's friend?
Or why in terms so sweet proclaim
His mercy in a Father's name?
Blessed Savior, in your work I see
Why God is merciful to me;
How he a rebel can receive;
How he can all my sins forgive.
'Tis faith in your atoning blood
Averts of wrath the angry flood;
'Tis faith in righteousness divine
Makes all your saving merits mine.
Descend, blessed Spirit, from above,
In all the energy of love;
To me your heavenly gifts impart,
And seal salvation to my heart.
Then, in those sweet abodes of peace,
Where grateful accents never cease,
A living monument of grace,
I'll strive to sing your loudest praise.
0 246 Read More
Devotional
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 PM

Jesus, true and living vine,
Unite my soul to thee;
Oh! let my barren, withered heart,
A fruitful scion be.
Too long, alas! my guilty soul
A fruitless branch has been;
Fit fuel for the eternal fire,
The slave of lust and sin.
Oh! may I now, through sovereign grace,
This blessed union know,
From where all peace and pardon too,
And endless glories grow.
Grafted by faith, my joyful heart
Shall be forever thine;
While clustering fruits of heavenly growth
Will prove the work divine.
Come, Holy Spirit, you Lord of life,
Make all these blessings mine;
Make me a fruitful living branch
In Christ, the living vine.
0 229 Read More
Devotional
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:34 PM

Solitude Sweetened

by James Meikle, 1730-1799

Are believers in the valley of tears? Is their dwelling place Bochim and Baca? Well, God's mercy outstretches all their misery! Promises of grace dispel the mental gloom, and bear away the ponderous loads of grief! The soft handkerchief of love wipes off the furrowing tear! An inspired penman begins the glorious sentence with an unanswerable question. "If God spared not his own Son, but delivered him up to the death for us all, how shall he not also with him give us all things?" (Romans 8:32) Comfort, then; you sons of sorrow; comfort, my soul! There is more in this verse than can be comprehended! And there is more love in the heart of God, than any language, or idiom of speech, can convey to finite creatures!

If, for my sake, he has given his Son, what will he withhold in all the creation? Is his creation—the breath of his mouth—better to him than his eternal, co-eternal Son? Is the work of his hands dearer to him than his well-beloved bosom Son? And has he given him to the die for you—and then will he deny you any necessity? No! He who feeds the soul with heavenly manna—will support the body with daily bread! He who gives drink out of the wells of salvation—will not fail to afford a cup of cold water! He who has provided a robe of righteousness, to cover the shame of my sin—will also give wool in the cold season. He who furnishes my inner man with all the armor of God, will put a covering on my head in the day of battle and war. (At this time the Author had a view of entering into the navy, being time of war, as he did some time after.) He who, in the counsel of peace, from eternity, secured my peace, will also shine upon my path, and decree what shall come to pass. He who has written my name among the living in Jerusalem, will also preserve, (this my faith pleads and expects,) my character, that I shall not shame what I profess in the world. He who has destroyed spiritual death, will also for me unsting natural death, and spoil the grave of its victory!

Again, how can it be possible that God should give his Son, himself, his all—and yet deny me any good thing? Will not he who is to crown me with glory above—strengthen me with grace below? Will he not bless me with peace of mind—who is to be my peace forever? Triumph, O my faith! all things are Christ's, and Christ is God's! And God, Christ, and all things, are yours! Time is his, and in it I have my years numbered! The air is his, and in it I breathe! The world is his—and on it I dwell; its fullness is his—and I am fed! Grace is his—and in it I stand! Faith is his gift—and by it I overcome the world! Tribulations are from him—and in them I glory! Perfection is his—and towards it I press! Death is his—and by it I arrive at home! Heaven is his—and there is my mansion! Eternity is his, and there is my treasure and glory forevermore!
0 219 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:40 PM
yep That is true when dealing with new believers and many who have long been in the faith but who are not prone to reading theological works, or any good solid literature. And if one does recommend something of value written by an author who is of the hyper-Calvinistic came or anyone who holds to some serious error, it is prudent to make it clear that the recommendation is for that particular thing and should not be taken as a carte blanche or even a general recommendation of the person's/group's writings. Wisdom is certainly called for. grin
17 2,661 Read More
Open Forum
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:00 PM
Excellent post, Rick. Humbleness and meekness is antithetical to confrontation/ correction lacking compassion. There is an old saying, “You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.” May we always speak the Truth with a spirit of honey.
1 553 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 54 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Wood, David Clarke, CharlieFry, Michaelpatrick, ROB
947 Registered Users
Shout Box
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
Ruth
Popular Topics(Views)
1,100,768 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.037s Queries: 6 (0.003s) Memory: 2.4325 MB (Peak: 2.6333 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2020-07-06 16:43:50 UTC