Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of $100 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Anthony C.
Anthony C.
NJ/PA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,620
Posts51,090
Members925
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,411
Tom 3,426
chestnutmare 2,910
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,754
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 18
Tom 10
cathmg 5
Tina 3
John_C 3
Kaylin 1
Recent Posts
What exactly is a confessional church
by Pilgrim. Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:33 AM
Dispensationalism
by Tom. Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:55 PM
James White Article
by Pilgrim. Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:10 PM
Importance of dating the destruction of the Temple
by Pilgrim. Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 PM
A study of the Heidelberg Catechism
by cathmg. Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 PM
"The Reformed View of Sanctification" - Sinclair Ferguson
by Pilgrim. Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:04 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum
Yesterday at 10:33 AM
We must be constantly reminded that as good as most of the Reformed confessions and catechisms are, they are uninspired, fallible and of only secondary authority. The Church's sole and final authority, the basis of all truth is the Bible and the Bible alone. In too many instances where the main authoritative body in a denomination, e.g., a General Assembly or Synod is forced to examine and judge in matters of doctrine and/or life, but particularly on doctrinal matters, the ruling comes down on the basis if the doctrine in question is "in accord with the Standards" vs. "is the doctrine taught in the Word of God." The #1 reason why the nation of the United States, in fact the entire Western Hemisphere, is under the just wrath and judgment of God is because the visible church has forsaken the Bible and assimilated with the philosophies and practices of the world. Idolatry predominates in the vast majority of churches. Worldliness has been deliberately brought into the church's worship. Sin has not only gone undisciplined but actually taught to be acceptable and encouraged. "There is no fear of God before their eyes." (Rom 3:18)

Isaiah 5:20-21 (ASV) "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!"

Isaiah 30:8-13 (ASV) "Now go, write it before them on a tablet, and inscribe it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever. For it is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of Jehovah; that say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits, get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us. Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and rely thereon; therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly in an instant."

Jeremiah 6:13-19 (ASV) "For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely. They have healed also the hurt of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace. Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore they shall fall among them that fall; at the time that I visit them they shall be cast down, saith Jehovah. Thus saith Jehovah, Stand ye in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way; and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls: but they said, We will not walk [therein]. And I set watchmen over you, [saying], Hearken to the sound of the trumpet; but they said, We will not hearken. Therefore hear, ye nations, and know, O congregation, what is among them. Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words; and as for my law, they have rejected it."

And further, Scripture even provides the counsel and wisdom needed to discern the current times:

Isaiah 8:18-22 (KJV) "Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me [are] for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion. And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them. And they shall pass through it, hardly bestead and hungry: and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse their king and their God, and look upward. And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and [they shall be] driven to darkness."
3 82 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Yesterday at 01:55 AM
Pilgrim
Shhhhhh, a Dispi might see your post lol .
I have always wondered why those who do not believe in the Amii position, do not use the fact that the Roman Catholic Church believes in the Amil position against us A-mils.
I know some Dispi's that do not even believe in the Apostles Creed, because in their words it is a "Roman Catholic document." They even question the fact that the Protestant Reformation was effected by the writings of Roman Catholic Augustine. They say Augustine was a heretic.

Tom
7 178 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:10 PM
The link is the search results on Google which isn't helpful. giggle
10 514 Read More
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 AM
Admittedly, it has been years since I came across this subject. But from what I read from others and from things which Dr. Sproul wrote himself, it was obvious that he embraced "Partial Preterism", NOT to be confused with "hyper-Preterism". Those who hold to the "partial" type of Preterism prefer to use the term "Orthodox Preterism". grin

Dating is one of those hotly debated and contentious subjects among those who are most interested in eschatological matters. It is natural to want to know, "What comes first; the dates or the interpretation of particular texts?" If one begins with the presupposition (an odious term to those of the Classical Apologetics school) giggle that AD 70 is the key to understanding the matter, then one will have to change the dates of when the Epistles were written, etc., etc. And that, of course, will influence how one interprets the Epistles themselves and the events referred to in them. It's like a snowball rolling down a steep slope. It gathers more and more snow resulting in a monstrosity of a snowball and most difficult to slow down, never mind stop. Personally, I do not agree with the "Orthodox Preterist" view, albeit everyone would agree on some of its particulars which are based upon sound exegesis. And, I would not judge it to be heresy and perhaps not even heterodoxy. It is, however, a peculiar view. As to what specifically I would disagree with I cannot say since I basically cannot remember much of what it teaches due to the time that I researched it and my failing memory due to getting old. [Linked Image]
1 98 Read More
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:58 AM
Pilgrim you said "What possibly could be more comforting to know than from all eternity, the sovereign God had set His love upon us to be recipients of His mercy and grace in Christ Jesus and to give us a place in His kingdom... both now on this earth and on the new earth which is to come".

Since coming to learn the doctrines of Grace this has been much on my mind. To know that God has chosen us in Christ Jesus, elected us, purchased and redeemed us with His own blood, has justified us and is sanctifying us, preserves us and will glorify us as well... is more than I can really comprehend. It takes salvation totally out of man's hands, and makes God the true author and finisher of our faith, rather than man thinking that he actually has made "quite" a contribution to it. That has set me free and given me such security that no matter what happens I know that I am in His Hands and He will complete that which He has begun. We as His redeemed belong to Him because He has purchased us with His own blood. There is great comfort in that!! and my words cannot express how I love Him and His beautiful Gospel!
20 4,203 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:04 AM
Reformed theology owes a special debt to the principles of biblical exposition recovered for the church at the time of the Reformation. It is particularly associated with the work of John Calvin, but was later developed by such seventeenth-century Puritans as John Owen and Thomas Goodwin (in England), and Thomas Hooker and John Cotton (in New England). Many later Christians have owed a special debt to the Reformed theological tradition. They include preachers like George Whitefield, C. H. Spurgeon and D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones; and theologians such as Jonathan Edwards, Charles Hodge, Abraham Kuyper and B. B. Warfield; as well as such influential twentieth-century Christian leaders as J Gresham Machen and Francis Schaeffer. From one point of view, most evangelical theology in the English-speaking world can be seen as an exposition of, deviation from or reaction to Reformed theology.

A cursory glance at the biographies or writings of these men underlines the fact that Reformed theology has always placed special emphasis on the subject of sanctification. Few axioms are more central to Reformed teaching than that theology and practice, doctrine and lifestyle are partners joined together by God. They ought never to be separated. Nor is this relationship merely a “marriage of convenience.”

The doctrine(s) of the Reformation were disturbingly unique to the people of that day, particularly to the Roman State Church. One of their characteristics was the source of those doctrines... The Scriptures alone. They remain unique even to this day for the same reason yet those who are disturbed and opposed to them are not restricted to the Rome but rather the vast majority of the visible church is at odds with Reformed Theology, even some who consider themselves to be "Reformed". Among the doctrines which are uniquely Reformed stands justification and sanctification. And these two unique doctrines are invariably provocative when they are held to be inseparable; two sides of the same coin, if I may use that old description. It is the latter, sanctification, which Sinclair Ferguson's article focuses upon and sets forth that it is clearly taught in Scripture but he also shows its many facets, how it is related to faith and justification, its progressive nature, how it effects believers, the role of the Spirit in the believer, etc. I was impressed by how much the author was able to accomplish in such a short article. This is not to say that there aren't some magnificent books, even volumes of books that have been written which say much more, yet come short in being called 'exhaustive', and are certainly worth reading. Nevertheless, Dr. Ferguson's article is still a "gem" in my estimation and worthy of applause. BigThumbUp

You can read this article now by clicking here: The Reformed View of Sanctification.

For later reading, visit The Highway website and click on the "Article of the Month" logo.

As always, we encourage those who read these articles to discuss them, ask questions, etc. in the appropriate forums.

In His service and grace,
0 431 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:52 PM
...and I agree with the article....

Hey, if it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.... Trust me, I know!
2 502 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 PM
I thought I would include something from a Canadian jouraliat named Rex Murphy who is a political columnist. I do not always agree with him, but rarely is he boring. He definately is not politely correct and often I am left laughing.
https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalp...nd-other-decrees-from-bishop-trudeau/amp

Tom
4 2,021 Read More
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (chestnutmare), 17 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dutch Michael, Ray, robertolang, SmallFry, drewk
925 Registered Users
Shout Box
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
736,079 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.035s Queries: 6 (0.002s) Memory: 2.4220 MB (Peak: 2.6216 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-04-21 11:29:52 UTC