Robin
Thanks for replying, you are exactly right. As someone like yourself who came out of the Charismatic movement, I know a little about what you are talking about.
There is a huge difference between joy and happiness. If I could recommend one more thing, that is what is often referred to as "the epistle of joy", the book of Philippians.
I will add that when I am living to glorify God as He instructs in His Word, I find myself not only joyful, but also happy.
However, as long as I know I am trying to glorify God, happiness is not as important.

Questions and Answers (with proofs)

Q. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man's chief end is to glorify God (1 Cor. 10:31), and to enjoy him for ever (Ps. 73:25-26).

Q. What rule has God given to direct us how we may glorify him?
A. The Word of God which is contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments (Eph. 2:20; 2 Tim. 3:16) is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify God and enjoy him (1 Jn. 1:3).

Q. What do the Scriptures principally teach?
A. The Scriptures principally teach what man is to believe concerning God, and what duty God requires of man (2 Tim. 1:13; Eccl. 12:13).

Q. What is God?
A. God is Spirit (Jn. 4:24), infinite (Job 11:7), eternal (Ps. 90:2; 1 Tim. 1:17), and unchangeable (Jas. 1:17) in his being (Exod. 3:14), wisdom, power (Ps. 147:5), holiness (Rev. 4:8), justice, goodness and truth (Exod. 34:6-7).
http://www.spurgeon.org/catechis.php#Q1

Last edited by Tom; Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:46 AM.