Pilgrim,
You make a great point in your reply. I find in my studying, there seems to be two camps that though they seek to make a clear delineation of the " truth ", one side seems to lean more towards a hard line explanation of God's word, while the other side leans more towards a more grace seasoned explanation of God's word. For example, you have mentioned that J.C. Philpot leans hard towards hypercalvinism, to which I agree, while I find men like Octavious Winslow, Thomas Boston, etc, lean more towards a grace seasoned message. When I feel despondent with guilt I read writings by more devotional and experiential preachers, which helps to refocus my standing in Christ. The section of scripture you quoted from Romans 8 is so encouraging. I read that John Owen had a major struggle with acceptance of God's forgiveness for quite a time. Martin Luther struggled the same way. Thank you for sharing a reply. " Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. " Jude 24, 25 ( ESV )