Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#53518 Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:03 PM
OP Offline
I'm seeing a lot of news regarding a new book that I just downloaded to my Kindle entitled ''The Benedict Option'' authored by Rod Dreher ,.. there is so much being shared and talked about from an interview with Dreher and Albert Mohler regarding the contents, to James White on his program the ''Dividing Line'',.. I was wondering if anyone on the Highway had the chance to read this book, or have any thoughts on the direction he is suggesting we go as the culture is moving aggressively against Orthodox Christianity by pushing so many ungodly and unbiblical practices today... Here is the link to the interview done by Albert Mohler,.. http://4ff414ae5107de3a9e18-43dbab4...l/Podcast/ThinkingInPublic_RodDreyer.mp3 and a video link by James White, the beginning segment is regarding the book the rest of the show is on other topics,..

Last edited by Mckinley; Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:07 PM.

"A man may be theologically knowing and spiritually ignorant." STEPHEN CHARNOCK
Mckinley #53526 Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:51 PM
Thank you for the link to the interview with Al Mohler. I've listened to it twice and I am impressed with the insight and discernment of both men. I am unable to read Kindle documents on my old Kobo eReader, so I'll wait until the public library gets a copy of The Benedict Option and check it out. From what I glean from the interview, Rob Dreher understands the times. It's curious that he is Eastern Orthodox because he sounds very much like a traditional Reformed Protestant.

I would not have been aware of this book without your post, so thanks for sharing it.

Mckinley #53528 Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:41 AM
Addict
Addict
Corporations and Lobbyists.... Mostly secular social activists.... are leading the direction of this country... BO seems a bit contrived....with the lack of sound Christian voices in the public sphere you can argue that we've been grossly separate and silent for well over a century now

Shall we flea? We retreated a long time ago....

http://www.americanclarion.com/2016/11/24/in-god-we-trust-46943/

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:47 AM.
Mckinley #53530 Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:18 AM
The Boy Wonder
The Boy Wonder
In one sense the "come out from among them and be separate" thing is in play, but "retreat" is a whole 'nother thing. We are in the world to call sinners out of the world and into the kingdom of His dear Son. Coming out from the world and into Him doesn't mean retreat from the culture and find a nice little comfy "safe space" in which to sing Kum-Ba-Yah among ourselves. We are to engage and confront the culture, not remove ourselves from it.

Robin #53531 Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:52 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Well said. But don't you find it rather ironic that when someone, like myself, advocates the putting away of worldly things which have been openly received into the Church it is the church at large which becomes the adversary? The modern church has openly adopted the world to such an extent that is sometimes difficult to distinguish between the two. "I am become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some." (1Cor 9:22) has been violently ripped out of context so as to justify bringing the world into the church and especially in the area of worship. Retreat isn't an option for the Church and nowhere is retreat to be found in Scripture. Elijah tried that and was confronted by God for doing so. Christ will build His Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it. Persecution by the world is what God has ordained for the true Church. In fact, Paul taught that this is true for every one who has been called of God out of this world or darkness into the glorious light of the Lord Christ. 2 Timothy 3:12 (ASV) "Yea, and ALL that would live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." (cf. Gal 6:12). Bringing worldliness into the church and/or into one's own life only serves to reveal one's spiritual state. The visible church will be purged of the tares and the wheat will be revealed and preserved by the mercy and power of God. Let's not ignore what our Lord said about the future of His Church:

Mark 13:14-22 (ASV) "But when ye see the abomination of desolation standing where he ought not (let him that readeth understand), then let them that are in Judaea flee unto the mountains: and let him that is on the housetop not go down, nor enter in, to take anything out his house: and let him that is in the field not return back to take his cloak. But woe unto them that are with child and to them that give suck in those days! And pray ye that it be not in the winter. For those days shall be tribulation, such as there hath not been the like from the beginning of the creation which God created until now, and never shall be. And except the Lord had shortened the days, no flesh would have been saved; but for the elect's sake, whom he chose, he shortened the days. And then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is the Christ; or, Lo, there; believe [it] not: for there shall arise false Christs and false prophets, and shall show signs and wonders, that they may lead astray, if possible, the elect."
Flee? to where, may I ask? "We are the world... We shall assimilate you... Resistance is futile!" igiveup

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Mckinley #53533 Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:27 AM
Addict
Addict
The Churches are the problem, not the antidote, because they are not properly revealing our condition and offering the remedy-Christ

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:12 PM.
Mckinley #53534 Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:58 PM
Addict
Addict
I still struggle with worldliness..... I continuously stumble across and engage things, especially in the entertainment realm - comedy, music, etc. - where I will justify because there is some loose 'Christian' association..... Thankfully, it's not entered the church I attend.... But it's a constant threat for Christian and church alike.... Not sure I'm on the right side of this struggle sometimes

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:19 PM.
Anthony C. #53538 Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:58 AM
Addict
Addict
Think that we as Christians are called upon to redeem in some sense the entertainment of the culture, as the Internet, TV, Movies, Music are not bad in and of themselves, but that we need to use those as tools for the Kingdom and to lift up Chrristian morals and guidelines!

Mckinley #53568 Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:32 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
No, we must not flee.

We are at war with the world. Jonathan Edwards' sermon method points us to the correct way to engage the world—the use of Scripture and reason to ruthlessly take down the enemy's position. Of course, Scripture is the mainstay in a church setting, but in a secular public forum, raw reason is the weapon of choice.

When we interact with the world, we need to take a defensive AND offensive stance. Prayer, meditation on the Word, deliberately eschewing exposure to temptation (yes, it takes effort to walk right!) are our defenses. However, in this age of glorified feelings and emotions, it is the offensive stance that we often fail to cultivate and practice.

Let's face it: soft words and fear of hurting feelings do not work with hardened, aggressive sinners. We should not cast pearls before swine.

If we are observant, we will quickly discern the degree of animosity of an aggressive person in a public setting. Some cases are lost causes, and it may be better to just walk away. Sometimes, the aggressor has already been dealt with by someone else. But if it is expedient, every excuse, inconsistency, contradiction, lie and slander must be politely but firmly exposed and dismantled. The hardened worldling will double down on his innate hatred of God and subtly project his character flaws on those who speak the truth. We must wipe out his defenses and disarm him. If that hardens him, remember that collateral damage in war is often unavoidable; if we have removed his credibility, we prevent him from inflicting further damage and poisoning the minds of the innocent. If he has been humbled, he may actually rethink his position and behavior.

We often overestimate our powers of persuasion. Persuasion has two elements: informing the mind, and turning the heart. Our first priority is informing the mind. Turning the heart is difficult without first building a relationship, and in a public setting (real or virtual) this is often not possible. But, thanks be to God, HE has the power to turn the heart, and, if He chooses, can take out the heart of stone and confer the heart of flesh. We are merely messengers of God. And with that, we need to remember that the world enjoys shooting the messenger. War is Hell.

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth