Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,788
Posts54,920
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,529
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 13
Pilgrim 10
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#53714 Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Can a non-denominational, independent Reformed Baptist church be confessional? They may have their own confessional beliefs, but they can change any confessions within the local church without having the approval of a larger body. When we say a confessional church what do we mean?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
Can a non-denominational, independent Reformed Baptist church be confessional?
Sure, why not? It can either choose to be consistent with the name, "Reformed" by adopting one of the historic Reformed Confessions, or they can choose to be consistent with the name "Baptist" by adopting any confession that emphasizes credo baptism, or they can choose to be consistent with the entire title "Reformed Baptist" by adopting the LBCF or perhaps one of the earlier Calvinistic Baptist confessions..... OR, even if they reject any historic confession, they can do what most do today which is to write their own confession. Even if a local church chooses to do none of the above, and they teach any doctrine consistently and upon that teaching either accept, reject or discipline anyone who is of a different view than that which they teach, then they are 'confessional'.

They may have their own confessional beliefs, but they can change any confessions within the local church without having the approval of a larger body.
Independent churches are certainly free to do that. Those who would deny the right of a local church to change their OWN confession also deny the independence of the local church, e.g., those who hold to Presbyterianism and the Dutch version of it would deny this. I am one who hasn't found Scripture to teach denominationalism. But, at the same time, I think it is the height of arrogance for a local church to think that it is more qualified to write a confession that is superior to the historic Reformed Confessions, e.g., The WCF, LBCF, Savoy. I believe in the independence of every local church, but I do not believe the local church is independent of the visible Church that God has preserved throughout history.

When we say a confessional church what do we mean?
That all depends on who you ask. Generally speaking, as expressed above, every local church is 'confessional' since they have a body of statements to which they believe, whether written or unwritten. Specifically speaking, confessional can mean an adherence to an existing formal confession.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
I'm hearing 'we are a confessional church' thrown around a lot these days in discussing denominational debates. By Pilgrim's definition, even the very liberal PCUSA is a confessional church. I was just thinking there was more to it

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I'm hearing 'we are a confessional church' thrown around a lot these days in discussing denominational debates. By Pilgrim's definition, even the very liberal PCUSA is a confessional church. I was just thinking there was more to it
Again, it all depends on what a person means by "confessional". I think I would be safe to say that in your statement above, "confessional" is referring to a local church or denomination which has adopted one of the historic Reformed confessions; WCF, Belgic, Savoy, LBCF, etc.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Addict
Addict
Doesn't that normally refer to churches that use Confessions such as the WCF/LBCF, bit could they also take on lessor known ones such as the 1925 Baptist faith and doctines, or maybe the New Hampshire one?

I'm very happy in a two fold way, my church body is confessional and independent,.. its a blessing to hold to the historical confession known as the Westminster Standards, and the 3 forms of Unity,.. I pray that those who are holding to the past works of godly men who penned the confession, pray that their church continue with the rich tradition as we stay linked to the universal body of the past.

"A man may be theologically knowing and spiritually ignorant." STEPHEN CHARNOCK
Addict
Addict
I think that normally that refers to those churches that use a Confession of Faith such as the WCF/LBCF!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 75 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,512,694 Gospel truth