Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#53696 Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 PM
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
I was recently made aware of a movie based on Lee Strobal's book 'A Case For Christ'.
The Christian's at work are raving about it.
Looking at reviews, it is the story of Lee Strobal who wrote for a big news paper doing a law column. His wife had become a Christian and he was hostile to Christianity, being an atheist.
He sets out with his law mind to prove his wife's faith wrong.
In the end he ends up embracing Christianity.

I am a Presuppositionist, but was wondering if anyone here has either read the book, or seen the movie.
What are your thoughts?
I may be going to see this movie.

Tom

Tom #53697 Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 PM
Addict
Addict
As long as you understand that it is not from the Calvinist viewpoint, it is a very good book and movie , as it explores the various reasons why jesus is who he claimed that he was, based upon the historical evidences in and outside the scriptures!

Tom #53698 Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 PM
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley
13 years ago, we had a discussion about the book The Case for Christ

The Chestnut Mare
chestnutmare #53703 Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 AM
Addict
Addict
His books on the case for Christ and faith have been staples at our church, and many have come to know Jesus and to know reasons to believe to give unto others thru them!

JesusFan #53728 Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:24 AM
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
JesusFan I would be curious if you have gone to the thread that was provided on this topic 13 years ago.
If so, after going through that thread, what are your thoughts?

By the way, though I am sold on presuppositions apologetics. I do know of people over the years who have been convinced by evidential apologetics. Yet, even so I do not believe there are any who have come to faith because of evidence.
That might sound like a contradiction, but let me explain.
Evidence might show someone truth, yet because we are dead in tresspasses and sins, only the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit through the power of the Gospel saves. This is mainly why I am convinced of presuppositional apologetics.
It depends on God through the whole process. Without faith it is impossible to please God.
Tom

Tom #53729 Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:07 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
That's why Van Til's little tract Why I Believe in God is so unique vs. most everything else one can find. It is not only his personal testimony, but it is a true example of what Presuppositional Apologetics is and what it 'looks like' in an evangelistic setting.

You are 100% correct Tom. No one would give up all they have, declare that they are a most odious wretch, that they have never had a decent thought, spoken a good word or done a good deed since they day of their conception and are in dire need of God to save them in Christ if they found Noah's Ark or any other relic or proved scientifically that creationism is infallibly true and evolution totally false. Scripture makes that truth indisputable:

Luke 16:19-31 (KJV) There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that [would come] from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
Many things could be said about this passage, but there are two items which stand out most prominently,

1. Even in hell, a sinner continues to refuse God's way of salvation in Christ and rejects the divine authority of God's written Word.
2. Salvation is not to be found in the things which are made nor in anything that occurs on this earth, even if one personally witnesses a person rising from the dead.

Only in God's TRUE GOSPEL is salvation possible when attended by the powerful work of the Holy Spirit regenerating a sinner's dead soul. Miracles, sound arguments, appealing music, peer pressure, or whatever else one can dream of as being most desirable have no power to convince a DEAD sinner of their need of Christ, remission of sins and reconciliation with God.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #53730 Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:35 AM
Addict
Addict
I would see that Christianity as faith that is based upon verifiable historical evidence for a part of it, and you are true, the facts that are presented still must have the Holy Spirit open the persons heart and mind su that they will accept and receive Jesus!

Pilgrim #53731 Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 AM
Addict
Addict
The Holy Spirit though can and does takes the historical facts about Jesus and his death/resuurection, and opens the sinner to receive the good news of Jesus now also!

JesusFan #53734 Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:26 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by JesusFan
I would see that Christianity as faith that is based upon verifiable historical evidence for a part of it
Please supply some biblical examples where sinners were saved "based upon verifiable historical evidence" vs. the Gospel.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #53735 Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:58 PM
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
He can't though he might try to use the book 'A Case for Christ' to do it.
However, in actuality though the book is Lee Strobel's testimony. In actuality if Strobel is a true believer, it is the Gospel that did it.
If it is true (and it is) that man is dead in their tresspasses and sins and no one seeks after God. Then no evidence no matter how persuasive it may be will make a person come to faith.
I need to admit here, that I need to fight against autonomous thought. For there is still part of me that thinks maybe if I can show proof of such and such. Then just maybe the person I care about will come to faith in Christ. Yet, based on my knowledge of God's Word, is that consistent?
How about you JesusFan, is automous thinking consistent with Scripture?

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:10 PM.
Tom #53736 Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:20 PM
Addict
Addict
I am just suggesting that Christianity is based upon verifiable history facts, not just making a leap of faith alone!

Pilgrim #53737 Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:21 PM
Addict
Addict
How about CS Lewis?

JesusFan #53738 Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:26 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
How about CS Lewis?
I can't seem to find "CS Lewis" in my Bible. shrug

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
JesusFan #53739 Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:45 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I am just suggesting that Christianity is based upon verifiable history facts, not just making a leap of faith alone!
And for all these years I thought Christianity was based upon Scripture. scratchchin And, what is "a leap of faith alone"? Have you ever seen the Lord Christ face-to-face? The only people who wrote of Him from personal experience were His contemporaries who were inspired to write selected things as they were "carried along/guided" by the Spirit of God. So, where is the indisputable and "verifiable history facts" concerning the Lord Christ? Scripture alone is the "sole and final authority in all matters of faith and practice". It appears that what you believe is that faith is possible without the Gospel when "verifiable history facts" are presented to a sinner. Is that your view? How does any "verifiable history fact" bring about regeneration, conviction of sin, saving faith, love for God and His holy law as a way of life? The natural revelation of God has no ability to bring anyone to salvation. In fact, Paul says that natural revelation only brings the wrath of God upon ALL men since when they see the natural revelation and they being made in the very image of God which testifies to God's power and eternal Godhead, they reject that truth and substitute it with a lie. So once again, I must tell you the truth that the Holy Spirit DOES NOT work through falsehood nor the natural revelation to bring God's elect children to salvation in Christ. He ONLY works through the one true Gospel. (Rom 10:12-17)

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #53740 Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 PM
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
How about CS Lewis?
I can't seem to find "CS Lewis" in my Bible. shrug

JesusFan
What in particular about CS Lewis are you referring to?
Also, in case the meaning of how Pilgrim responded to you was lost on you. Why do you think he answered you that way?

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:15 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth