Donations for the month of September

We have received a total of $130 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,504
Posts50,605
Members918
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,263
Tom 3,257
chestnutmare 2,852
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,742
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,057
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 26
Pilgrim 20
John_C 3
Recent Posts
KJO Propaganda?
by Pilgrim. Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:03 PM
Exultant with joy and at the same time sorrowful
by chestnutmare. Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:19 AM
By our fall in Adam
by chestnutmare. Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 PM
Request from my Pastor
by Tom. Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:55 PM
Jubilee
by John_C. Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:09 PM
Antifa thugs in Florida
by Pilgrim. Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:48 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#54070 - Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:20 PM Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC  
chestnutmare Offline
Annie Oakley
chestnutmare  Offline
Annie Oakley

NH
Here is a look at what goes on at Tim Keller's Church. Offertory Dance

Last edited by Pilgrim; Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:34 PM.

The Chestnut Mare
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
- - - -JRR Tolkien "Lord of the Rings"
#54076 - Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:43 AM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: chestnutmare]  
AJ Castellitto Offline
AJ Castellitto  Offline

NJ/PA
I watched the first 10 seconds..... doah

#54079 - Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:19 PM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: chestnutmare]  
goldenoldie Offline
Journeyman
goldenoldie  Offline
Journeyman

Masschusetts, USA
rofl

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
#54116 - Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:36 AM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: chestnutmare]  
ATulipNotADaisy Offline
Journeyman
ATulipNotADaisy  Offline
Journeyman

FL
I don't understand how anyone could think this is Biblical worship.

#54117 - Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:51 AM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: ATulipNotADaisy]  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
Originally Posted by ATulipNotADaisy

I'm confident you do understand how this could happen. grin All that needs to occur is for one to discard the biblical truth that GOD determines how He is to be worshipped by His creation and substitute their own imaginative ideas. One's doctrine of Scripture and thus of God will determine and be expressed in how they 'worship'.

"All men become like the objects of their worship. Our inward character is being silently moulded by our view of God and our conception of him. Christian character is the fruit of Christian worship; pagan character the fruit of pagan religion; semi-Christian character the fruit of a half-true understanding of God. The principle holds good for us all: we become like what we worship ­ for worse or for better. 'They that make them are like unto them' (Psa. 115:8)." — Maurice Roberts

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#54118 - Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:46 PM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: chestnutmare]  
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline
Needs to get a Life

Kelowna, British Columbia, Can...
I can tell you that it was not until God started showing me Reformed thought I was not aware that there was anything wrong with things like dance, drama etc., during a worship service.
A person can have a love for God and His Word and because of the influence of pastors and teachers they can believe how they are worshipping on a given Sunday is perfectly legit.
Yet, when one starts to understand biblical Reformed thought, their whole way of thinking slowly changes.
In my case, having been a former Charismatic that change was very gradual. In some ways, there are times when I am talking to friends and family members that are still caught up in that system, I can hardly relate to them. Yet, thinking back how they think is no different than the way I used to think on the matter.
So, there are times I want to learn how to relate to them in a manner that might communicate the truth I know now. Yet I am finding that although I have had some success at this, many of them almost look at me as backslidden.

Tom

#54119 - Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:00 PM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: chestnutmare]  
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline
Needs to get a Life

I thought I would give an example of what I am talking about, that demonstrates the thought from a "Charismatic perspective". My brother posted something written by his pastor today that I think is representative of how I used to think as a Pentecostal that coloured my thought.
A Note from Pastor Owen…
I have never heard a good excuse at how the modern Church has lost touch with the Holy Spirit. The early Church understood the whole matter and so prayed with those who were baptized in water to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The initiation process had three elements…exorcism from evil spirits…baptism in water and baptism in the Holy Spirit. Each Gospel and the book of Acts refer to both baptisms. The Church baptises with water and Jesus baptises with the Holy Spirit. (See Matt. 3:11; Mark 1:18; Luke 3:16; John 1:33; Acts 1:5 and 11:16.) Have you been baptised in the Spirit? Don’t delay receiving this important experience. This is the power that blesses the Church. All over the world people are being baptised in the Holy Spirit. It is foundational to powerful Church life that the members all have their own Pentecost experience.

In Charismatic thought (although there are exceptions); unlike us who believe that if one does not have the Holy Spirit, one is not saved. They believe the baptism of the Holy Spirit is a “second blessing’ after water baptism.
What does this have to do with the subject at hand?
Although it is true that things like dance are not just in Charismatic worship services. Never the less, it is part and parcel to how one views the issues related to worship. For the most part, even in non-Charismatic Churches today, maybe even without knowing it they have incorporated their style of worship. This includes the subjective gifts such as dance, singing, etc… as instruments of worship. Rather than worshipping God in the objective way He prescribes in His Word; otherwise known as “The Regulative Principle of Worship.” I might add that Charismatic worship goes a lot further than the ‘Normative Principle of Worship’, that many who do not follow the RPW supposedly believe in.

Last edited by Tom; Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:02 PM.
#54120 - Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:50 PM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: Tom]  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
"subjective gifts such as dance, singing, etc.... as instruments of worship." drop

Are those "gifts" found in Scripture, e.g., 4th Corinthians 32:8 from the Devised Standard Version? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#54121 - Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:57 AM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: Pilgrim]  
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline
Needs to get a Life

I see you caught my meaning. I used the term "instruments" mainly because I could not think of a better word. I could have used the word "part".

Tom

#54122 - Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:14 AM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: Tom]  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
Originally Posted by Tom
I see you caught my meaning. I used the term "instruments" mainly because I could not think of a better word. I could have used the word "part".

I see you didn't catch my meaning because I couldn't care less about "instruments" but rather I was amused over the mention of GIFTS, which charismatics and pentecostals make such a big deal over. And secondarily, I chuckled over the use of SUBJECTIVE gifts, as if there are objective gifts. dizzy

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#54123 - Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 AM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: Pilgrim]  
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline
Needs to get a Life

The reason they include these things is basically because they believe that if God has given someone a gift such as the ability to sing or dance well. We therefore should use that gift to worship Him. In other words they believe not just what is in Scripture, but that which He has gifted people with.
Tom

#54132 - Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:23 PM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: Pilgrim]  
ATulipNotADaisy Offline
Journeyman
ATulipNotADaisy  Offline
Journeyman

FL
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Originally Posted by ATulipNotADaisy

I'm confident you do understand how this could happen. grin All that needs to occur is for one to discard the biblical truth that GOD determines how He is to be worshipped by His creation and substitute their own imaginative ideas. One's doctrine of Scripture and thus of God will determine and be expressed in how they 'worship'.

"All men become like the objects of their worship. Our inward character is being silently moulded by our view of God and our conception of him. Christian character is the fruit of Christian worship; pagan character the fruit of pagan religion; semi-Christian character the fruit of a half-true understanding of God. The principle holds good for us all: we become like what we worship ­ for worse or for better. 'They that make them are like unto them' (Psa. 115:8)." — Maurice Roberts

#54133 - Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:33 PM Re: Offertory Dance at Church of the Redeemer, NYC [Re: chestnutmare]  
ATulipNotADaisy Offline
Journeyman
ATulipNotADaisy  Offline
Journeyman

FL
Yes, I do understand how this could happen, I didn't communicate what I meant very well. I don't see how Christians who are earnestly seeking to worship God could condone this and maybe they don't. Maybe they have already left this church after failing to achieve the return to RPW. I also question how the pastor, who is held to a higher standard, could condone this. One would have to be seriously backslidden, in which case they would have discarded Biblical Truth as you said, or yikes no regeneration has ever taken place. Only God knows for sure.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 131 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ron, billmcginnis, Bucer, Petey Bad, Derwood
918 Registered Users
Shout Box
September
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30