This month's Article of the Month has a long title, which is typical of many of the older writers, which is "God Makes Men Sensible of Their Misery Before He Reveals His Mercy and Love". The author, who is one of my personal favorites has been considered to be the greatest theologian in America, and I heartily agree. I am referring, of course, to Jonathan Edwards. What we have for this month is another antidote against the pernicious error of the modern so-called 'gospel', which it is not and what the Apostle Paul wrote that those who bring "another gospel" are pronounced to be "anathema", i.e., curse/damned (Gal 1:7-9). What is noticeable missing in the modern "gospel", among other things, e.g., truth itself, is the foundational truth of man's fallen condition, man's depraved sinful state which puts him under the wrath and just judgment of God from birth. What should be evident is that what Edwards wrote against in this 'tri-sermon' reveals that he too faced similar errors in the 1700s. It has been often said that the errors that creep into the Church need to be addressed by every generation.

The topic Edwards addresses is how God through the Spirit brings a sinner to salvation by first revealing his own misery, i.e., his sinfulness and his being under God's judgment due to it. In the modern "gospel", the subject of man's sinfulness, depravity, hatred of God, helplessness and hopelessness is rarely if every mentioned. Sin is externalized and diminished in its seriousness and ugliness to the point that it is nothing more than a person not being as good as they should be, or in many cases, sin is said to be nothing more than not loving God as one should. But this is most certainly not how the Bible describes fallen mankind nor how God Who cannot even look upon sin (Hab 1:13) looks upon sinners. It is Edwards' contention that before the mercy, love and grace should be...... no CAN BE apprehended by a sinner, his actual and natural spiritual state must first be revealed, not only intellectually, but wholly in his very being. This deep heart-felt conviction of sin always precedes and drives a sinner to repentance of His sinfulness and sins and then to faith in the LORD Christ Who came to redeem Him from his sin and thus be reconciled to God.

You can read this important article now by clicking here: God Makes Men Sensible of Their Misery Before He Reveals His Mercy and Love.

And for later reading and to see all of past Articles of the Month, go to The Highway homepage and click on the "Article of the Month" logo.

In His service and grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]