Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
I found this podcast interesting.... The guest makes the point that guys like Owen were so good in making the case for God's sovereignty that it opened up a need for greater pastoral counsel especially when affliction took hold of a believer.... Any thoughts?

How do we cope when we are afflicted without resorting to compounding the problem by beating ourselves up over 'deserved punishments'? Should we be more grateful for times of peace & prosperity?

http://www.alliancenet.org/mos/podcast/43207

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 PM.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I listened to the podcast for about 10 minutes and gave up because the subject was on an entirely different subject. giggle However, I am rather perplexed that the person you heard suggested that preaching on the sovereignty of God "opened up a need for greater pastoral counsel especially when affliction took hold of a believer." scratch1 The doctrine of God's sovereignty, rightly preached/taught and understood is the greatest source of comfort any true believer could possibly have (cf. Rom 8:25-39). And it is likewise interesting that the Puritans were the greatest preachers in the history of the Church who addressed the life of true believers in great depth; their joy, temptations, sufferings, sorrow, despair, depression, war against sin from within and without, hope, privilege, etc., etc. They preached and taught on the Christian Life (praxis) more than any others have before or after them. What a treasury God has provided to us through those whom He raised up in those days.

What true believer would not quickly confess without reservation that any affliction that he encounters is most assuredly "deserved"? Remember that we are "justified" in Christ but not "purified" in ourselves, i.e., actually morally perfected. Yes, we are being sanctified, being made ready for heaven, but there is a remnant of our sinful nature that remains and thus we war against the flesh all the days of our lives. One error which is not uncommon is to associate suffering with some specific sin. This is a major error which the disciples of Christ made in regard to the man born blind (cf. Jh 9:1-3). Again, it is true that all suffering, even death comes upon all men because we are by nature sinners. But not all suffering comes upon believers due to a sin committed.

How do we cope? Here are a few texts which answer the question:

James 1:2-4 (ASV) "Count it all joy, my brethren, when ye fall into manifold temptations; Knowing that the proving of your faith worketh patience. And let patience have [its] perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, lacking in nothing."

James 5:10-11 (ASV) "Take, brethren, for an example of suffering and of patience, the prophets who spake in the name of the Lord. Behold, we call them blessed that endured: ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord, how that the Lord is full of pity, and merciful."

Hebrews 12:1-13 (ASV) "Therefore let us also, seeing we are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and perfecter of [our] faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising shame, and hath sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that hath endured such gainsaying of sinners against himself, that ye wax not weary, fainting in your souls. Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin: and ye have forgotten the exhortation which reasoneth with you as with sons, My son, regard not lightly the chastening of the Lord, Nor faint when thou art reproved of him; For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, And scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. It is for chastening that ye endure; God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is there whom [his] father chasteneth not? But if ye are without chastening, whereof all have been made partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore, we had the fathers of our flesh to chasten us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they indeed for a few days chastened [us] as seemed good to them; but he for [our] profit, that [we] may be partakers of his holiness. All chastening seemeth for the present to be not joyous but grievous; yet afterward it yieldeth peaceable fruit unto them that have been exercised thereby, [even the fruit] of righteousness. Wherefore lift up the hands that hang down, and the palsied knees; and make straight paths for your feet, that that which is lame be not turned out of the way, but rather be healed."

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
Although I have not listened to the broadcast myself. When you said you were perplexed at those things, I was happy to see that I was not the only one who was perplexed.
God's Sovereignty to the Christian should be a great source of encouragement to them.
My pastor is doing a series on God's attributes and this morning he preached on God's wisdom.
Though it is very convicting, in that in my case it brought to mind areas that still need growth in my life. Never the less, it was very comforting knowing that there is not even one rogue molecule in the whole universe. God is sovereign over the whole creation. That should comfort the believer and terrify the unbeliever.
Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 78 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,125 Gospel truth