Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,776
Posts54,866
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,445
Tom 4,513
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,864
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 2
John_C 1
Recent Posts
The When and How of Justification
by Pilgrim - Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:06 AM
Why a New Covenant Theology
by DiscipleEddie - Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:01 PM
Revisionist History vs. Conspiracy History by Gary North
by Anthony C. - Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:40 AM
the New Covenant
by Tom - Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:31 AM
"The Necessity of the Atonement" - Jonathan Edwards
by Pilgrim - Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:46 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Tom #54689 Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 AM
Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by Tom
Anthony, I hear you and agree. I think it is only fair to say that not all Christians who believe in an Old Earth believe in evolution; many of them believe in a literal Adam and Eve. I believe they are sincerely wrong, but....
I will also state that years ago I bought into an Old Earth as a fairly young believer out of ignorance. Mainly because a scientist from NASA came to our Church and preached on Genesis. He did not say anything definite, but he seemed to believe that the six days of creation were compatible with 'big bangs". I thought God could very well have used big bangs to create. Back then, I was not mature enough to understand some of the ramifications of this view. Similarly to how at that time I was a Dispensationalist simply because that was the only view I heard about.

Tom
You may be mistaken..... I think many old earthers are TE.....so if they believe in literal Adam & Eve, they don't believe they were necessarily the first humans or non-products of natural (inconceivable bash) molecules-to-man evolution.... Not sure why (or how) they would believe in old earth, big bang AND creation.....????

I just believe in Creation and the global flood....not their stupid dating methods that presuppose too much

Last edited by Anthony C.; Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:38 AM.
Tom #54690 Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 AM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Anthony, I did not say that there are not Older Earthers that also believed in evolution. I said that many Old Earthers believe in a literal Adam and Eve. The pastor that I had back then certainly believed in a literal Adam and Eve and I did as well. What I am saying is, I (and I believe is the case with my old pastor) I was not consistent in my hermeneutics. Even today, I still run into Reformed Christians who are otherwise orthodox, believe in either the 'Framework view" or the Old Earth view. In fact, some of them have been members of The-Highway years ago. As for the big bang, although I at one time believed in it; the more I studied the issue, the more I thought it was kind of silly. For one thing, with each big bang, would not it destroy what was created during the last big bang? Funny how a NASA scientist can make things seem correct to many.
Tom

Tom #54691 Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:22 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Tom
I think it is only fair to say that not all Christians who believe in an Old Earth believe in evolution; many of them believe in a literal Adam and Eve.
Could you please explain how someone can believe in an "Old Earth" theory but not evolution? Do they believe that God created everything up until Adam and Eve over a period of millions or billions or trillions of years, if true, what exactly was God doing during that time period, i.e., what kind of creation would that be? And, thus after all that time when the universe and the earth finally was made as God intended it to be, He created Adam and Eve as mature adults... would that be what these "Old Earth but no evolution" alleged Christians believe? If not, again, please explain what appears to me to be an untenable/antithetical view. scratchchin

I'm assuming that you can give a brief explanation of this view since you stated you once embraced it. grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #54692 Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:14 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
Surely after all these years you know there are many who believe in an Old Earth, yet do not believe in evolution.
In my case, I believed that because I was taught that and did not understand the ramifications of it.
Similarly to the reason why I at one time was a Dispensationalist, because that is the only position I was taught at the time.
How can someone rationalize an Old Earth without believing in evolution?
I actually don't know, because when I started rationalizing the issue; I came to believe in a YE.
I believe if you search the archives you will find a few discussions of people who believe in an Old earth but not evolution.

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 PM.
Tom #54693 Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:44 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
All I asked, since you used to hold to an Old Earth but not any form of evolutionary theory, is to give me a brief explanation of the basics of such a view. I'm sure there are lots of others here who would really like to read an answer to that question as well. Thanks! grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #54694 Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 PM
Addict
Addict
Tom, let me help you.... This guy fits the profile.....
Hugh Ross is known for establishing his own ministry in 1986, called Reasons to Believe that promotes progressive and day-age forms of old Earth creationism. Ross accepts the scientific age of the earth and the scientific age of the universe, however he rejects unguided evolution and abiogenesis as explanations for the history and origin of life

Pilgrim #54695 Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:21 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Sorry Pilgrim
In my case, I can't remember anything that would help you understand their position.
Tom

Tom #54696 Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Thanks, that may very well be how a lot of Old Earth advocates view things.
Unfortunate (or perhaps fortunately?) my views were not formed enough back then to give a defence of that view.
Like I said, when I actually started to look into the matter deeper; fairly quickly I embraced the YE view.
At least that is my recollection.

Tom

Tom #54699 Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:17 AM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
I found the information from the person who talked about Paul being mistaken that I mentioned in my opening post.
Unfortunately, I was mistaken concerning one thing. It had to do with a literal Adam and Eve. Dr. Peter Enns, stated that Paul believed in a literal Adam and Eve; but Paul was mistaken in that belief. It was not about Paul believing in a young earth. You can read more at: https://peteenns.com/did-the-apostle-paul-or-god-believe-in-a-literal-adam/
I understand that not too long ago Dr. Peter Enns was involved in a controversy when he was a Professor at Westminster Theological Seminary and was suspended. The problem seemed to be centered around the inspiration and the inerrancy of Scripture. Enns claims to believe in both the inspiration and the inerrancy of Scripture. Yet he does not believe in the traditional view of the doctrines. Instead he says there are errors in Scripture; yet they we put there by God Himself. He does not believe it is necessary to reconcile the errors in Scripture, because God placed them there by design. Enns

Thinking about this; I think it explains why he could make such an outlandish statement such as Paul was mistaken about Adam and Eve being literal historic people. He seems to believe that this does not in any way destroy either the inspiration, or the inerrancy of Scripture. He believes that the traditional understanding of inspiration and inerrancy displays bias that Scripture does not teach.
Apparently there was debated between GK Beale and Peter Enns.
http://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PDFs/49/49-2/JETS_49-2_287-312_Beale.pdf

Apparently Enns responded to this and Beale surrejoindered Enns. (Just in case this interests anyone)
I have chosen to include some relevant things written by Beale.
Once he moves into his review of Enns' book Beale finds many a fault and points them out in painstaking detail. The 8 major points are:
1. Enns finds myth in the narratives in Genesis (creation; flood) that doesn't correspond to actual historical events. 2. Enns assumes the biblical writers were not objective in narrating history and recorded events in ways that lack correspondence to modern writers would record them. 3. Enns never details his understanding of Jesus' incarnation which is his model analogy for his understanding of Scripture. 4. Enns objects to using modern definitions of truth and error to evaluate Scripture without defining ancient understandings of truth and error. 5. Enns doesn't take his own advice to evaluate others' ideas with humility, love, and patience. 6. Enns' book is ambiguous at important junctures of his discussion. 7. Enns doesn't present and discuss viewpoints other than his own. 8. Enns caricatures evangelical scholarship by presenting fundamentalist arguments and making no distinction
From: https://rdtwot.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/book-review_beale2.pdf This is a review of Beale's book 'The Erosion Inerrancy Evangelicalism.'
By the way, the link above concerning these points that Beale makes concerning Enns; the links author says Beale seriously misreads Enns
Tom

Last edited by Tom; Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:55 AM.
Tom #54700 Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:40 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Heretics like Peter Enns are in many ways similar to the modern "Main Street Media", those infamous purveyors of Fake News......no, VERY Fake News. They both are looking for that "something new" which would bring them notoriety, first and foremost (cf. Acts 17:21) and then to discredit someone else. The way they do this is to fabricate whatever it is they want to be "new", which is typically false, i.e., it is antithetical to facts, illogical, or even irrational. Enns uses the same old trick of redefining terms which are meant to give credibility to his musings which are nothing less than a denial of established facts and truth... in this case, the doctrine of the divine inspiration, innerancy and infallibility of Scripture. Doing so is a deliberate plan for his modus operandi which opens the door for him to believe whatever he wants to believe which otherwise would be a direct contradiction to what God has written and preserved for all mankind and by which He shall judge the quick and the dead. Peter Enns isn't worth the time to mention his name and it is my advice that most people should avoid him and his writings and ideas at all cost. I suppose those in the academia have some obligation to criticize such heretics and expose them for who they are. Yet, I wonder just how much positive effect their efforts have. And in Peter Enns case, is he even worth dealing with. I mean, when someone comes along and suggests that Paul was mistaken, or that Adam and Eve weren't real historical individuals, etc., etc., ad nauseam do such people even deserve other's time to show him to be wrong and think he is some kind of scholar who should at least be given a hearing? igiveup

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #54701 Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:38 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim, you do have a great point about whether or not heretics like Enns is even worth dealing with. Unfortunately, he has had influence on a lot of people. I certainly wouldn't want to become guilty of making people aware of him; so they would think there is merit in what he is saying.

Tom

Tom #54702 Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:23 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Matthew 15:12-14 (ASV) "Then came the disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, when they heard this saying? But he answered and said, Every plant which my heavenly Father planted not, shall be rooted up. Let them alone: they are blind guides. And if the blind guide the blind, both shall fall into a pit."

1 Corinthians 11:19 (KJV) "For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you."

2 Peter 2:1-3 (ASV) "But there arose false prophets also among the people, as among you also there shall be false teachers, who shall privily bring in destructive heresies, denying even the Master that bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their lascivious doings; by reason of whom the way of the truth shall be evil spoken of. And in covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose sentence now from of old lingereth not, and their destruction slumbereth not."

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 48 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,505,619 Gospel truth