Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of $182 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
gotribe
gotribe
Chicagoland
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,621
Posts51,094
Members925
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,413
Tom 3,428
chestnutmare 2,911
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,754
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 18
Tom 10
cathmg 4
John_C 3
Tina 3
Kaylin 1
Recent Posts
A study of the Heidelberg Catechism
by chestnutmare. Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 AM
What exactly is a confessional church
by Pilgrim. Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:50 AM
California State Assembly Bill 2943
by Tom. Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 AM
Dispensationalism
by Tom. Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:55 PM
James White Article
by Pilgrim. Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:10 PM
Importance of dating the destruction of the Temple
by Pilgrim. Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A study of the Heidelberg Catechism [Re: chestnutmare] #54856
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:22 AM
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:22 AM
British Columbia, Canada
cathmg Offline
Plebeian
cathmg  Offline
Plebeian
British Columbia, Canada
I am relatively new to the confessions so I appreciate anything I can learn about them. Thank you Pilgrim.

On Christ the solid rock I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.
Re: A study of the Heidelberg Catechism [Re: chestnutmare] #54858
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:51 AM
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:51 AM
British Columbia, Canada
cathmg Offline
Plebeian
cathmg  Offline
Plebeian
British Columbia, Canada
In response to Chestnutmare's suggested reading...The Christian’s Only Comfort In Life and Death LORD’S DAY 1 is truly a beautiful and comforting description of what has been provided for us through and in Christ. I need to read it several times to be able to drink in all that it says. I am so thankful to the Lord for His mercy and His grace and for providing such assurance and comfort for His children.

Re: A study of the Heidelberg Catechism [Re: chestnutmare] #54863
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:04 AM
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:04 AM
NH
chestnutmare Offline OP
Annie Oakley
chestnutmare  Offline OP
Annie Oakley
NH
So, the catechism is directed to the believer as only the believer can respond as such, in the first person. saying “That I…”

Now let's look at what it is that is being addressed: why do you suppose that the author would begin such a study with a question about comfort? What does he mean by comfort for the believer and why is this of paramount importance? Can you define what he means by comfort?

Again here is the question and answer from our study:

Question 1. What is thy only comfort in life and death?

Answer. That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ, who, with his precious blood, hath fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that, without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation: and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready henceforth to live unto him.

The Chestnut Mare
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
- - - -JRR Tolkien "Lord of the Rings"
Re: A study of the Heidelberg Catechism [Re: chestnutmare] #54864
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:21 AM
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:21 AM
NH, USA
Pilgrim Offline

Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho
NH, USA
Originally Posted by chestnutmare
Now let's look at what it is that is being addressed: why do you suppose that the author would begin such a study with a question about comfort? What does he mean by comfort for the believer and why is this of paramount importance? Can you define what he means by comfort?

1. Because of the fact that we all live in a world that is corrupted and that we are all born with a corruption of nature, life is fraught with all manner of woes, ills, tragedy, sorrow, suffering and death. Thus comfort is that balm which consoles the soul and affords hope of relief and better things to come.

2. The reason and ground of that comfort is not to be found within oneself nor from the things or others of this world, for all these things have been subjected to God's wrath due to the Fall. The comfort man needs and which the believer only can own comes from without; the Lord Jesus Christ.

3. And, the Catechism is very precise in stating that the comfort that is found only in Jesus Christ is because " am not my own but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ." It does not say that Jesus Christ belongs to me, i.e., the Lord Christ was made mine because I did such and such, e.g., exercising my own will to allow Him to be my Savior, or went forward at some crusade or revival meeting, or read a little prayer on the back of a card, or decided to become a Christian for whatever reason, etc., etc. NO, the comfort owned by a true Christian is because the Lord Christ owns him/her. Believers have been bought with a price. They have been redeemed by the precious blood of Christ. They have been reconciled to God through His own sacrifice. They are no longer under the just wrath of God and subject to condemnation but rather, they have been justified and adopted as beloved children of God. It was Christ's Spirit Who worked in them, regenerating their spiritually dead souls giving them a heart of flesh that was smitten with guilt due their sinfulness and wanted to be cured and cleansed of their filth. It was by the Spirit that the Lord Christ became altogether lovely and the one and only hope to be reconciled to God. Believers were "made willing" by the power of God (Ps 110:3).

4. Everything imaginable and even that which is unimaginable which is for our good, both for this life and eternity, is not only promised but given without measure in God's perfect time from the day we were drawn by the Spirit, made alive through the Word, and united to Christ through repentance of sins and faith in Christ Jesus our LORD. NOTHING can separate us from the love of God in life or death, for ALL THINGS work together for good to those who love God and who are the called according to HIS purpose.

What possibily could be more comforting to know than from all eternity, the sovereign God had set His love upon us to be recipients of His mercy and grace in Christ Jesus and to give us a place in His kingdom... both now on this earth and on the new earth which is to come. BigThumbUp

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Re: A study of the Heidelberg Catechism [Re: chestnutmare] #54867
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 PM
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 PM
United Kingdom
Tina Offline
Plebeian
Tina  Offline
Plebeian
United Kingdom
How can I define comfort?

As Pilgrim rightly states, we live in such a corrupt world so many evils and tragedies. Without knowing the comfort of God one could be overwhelmed and despair of such atrocities.

Comfort is knowing that nothing is out of His control. The promise that He preserves me in such a way that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head. To be able to trust Him in and through all things, this brings me great comfort along with the wonderful promise, I now have eternal life.

I love the answers to question 1.

Re: A study of the Heidelberg Catechism [Re: chestnutmare] #54871
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 PM
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 PM
British Columbia, Canada
cathmg Offline
Plebeian
cathmg  Offline
Plebeian
British Columbia, Canada
Pilgrim you said "What possibly could be more comforting to know than from all eternity, the sovereign God had set His love upon us to be recipients of His mercy and grace in Christ Jesus and to give us a place in His kingdom... both now on this earth and on the new earth which is to come".

Since coming to learn the doctrines of Grace this has been much on my mind. To know that God has chosen us in Christ Jesus, elected us, purchased and redeemed us with His own blood, has justified us and is sanctifying us, preserves us and will glorify us as well... is more than I can really comprehend. It takes salvation totally out of man's hands, and makes God the true author and finisher of our faith, rather than man thinking that he actually has made "quite" a contribution to it. That has set me free and given me such security that no matter what happens I know that I am in His Hands and He will complete that which He has begun. We as His redeemed belong to Him because He has purchased us with His own blood. There is great comfort in that!! and my words cannot express how I love Him and His beautiful Gospel!

Re: A study of the Heidelberg Catechism [Re: chestnutmare] #54896
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 AM
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 AM
NH
chestnutmare Offline OP
Annie Oakley
chestnutmare  Offline OP
Annie Oakley
NH
Question 2. How many things are necessary for thee to know, that thou, enjoying this comfort, mayest live and die happy?

Answer. Three; the first, how great my sins and miseries are; the second, how I may be delivered from all my sins and miseries; the third, how I shall express my gratitude to God for such deliverance.

The Chestnut Mare
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
- - - -JRR Tolkien "Lord of the Rings"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 20 guests, and 111 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dutch Michael, Ray, robertolang, SmallFry, drewk
925 Registered Users
Shout Box
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Today's Birthdays
Young Catholic
Popular Topics(Views)
737,837 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.054s Queries: 16 (0.006s) Memory: 2.8979 MB (Peak: 3.1858 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-04-26 15:04:33 UTC