Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#54886 Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:28 PM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Does it mean that a church ascribes to a confession of faith, or can it mean that a church ascribes to a statement of faith with might entail 5-10 points? Or, maybe there is really not a specific meaning, but one that is thrown around a lot?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
Does it mean that a church ascribes to a confession of faith, or can it mean that a church ascribes to a statement of faith with might entail 5-10 points? Or, maybe there is really not a specific meaning, but one that is thrown around a lot?
1. Historically, a "confessional church" is a body that ascribes to a denominational standard, e.g., Helvetic, Belgic, LBCF, Westminster, Savoy, etc. These churches confess that the Bible is the sole and final authority in all matters of faith (doctrine) and practice... and that the Standard/Confession is their secondary authority in all that it says which is consistent with biblical teaching.

2. In more modern times, it can mean that a denomination or individual church ascribes to a confession/standard which they have written themselves. Typically, these type of confessions are very simple and pale in comparison to the historical confessions which came about after the Protestant Reformation as were all those mentioned above. Precision isn't one of their attributes and most are contrary to the doctrines of the reformational confessions.

3. Lastly, EVERY church is confessional in the sense that the individual church has a set of beliefs, whether written or unwritten to which members are required to acknowledge as truth and voluntarily agree to submit to and be disciplined if broken. You will see these written 'confessions' on most church websites, usually designated as "What We Believe", or something similar.

#1 is, or was, the understood meaning of a "Confessional Church".

One more thing I feel I would be reticent if not mentioned. A denomination/church can claim to be confessional but that does not guarantee that they accept their Standard(s) as a binding secondary authority, or consistently teach and live by them, e.g., the PCUSA retains the Westminster Standards as part of their denomination but openly disagrees with most of what those Standards teach. They are valuable as part of history and not much more. There are other confessional denominations who haven't gone as far as the PCUSA in denying the majority of the teachings of their respective Standard(s), but they are slowly going in that direction. This is not unusual historically. Many, if not most of the major Reformed denominations are in our day are traveling down that road to one degree or another and will eventually become just another "used to be confessional" church. Out of them will be those who sooner or later recognize the seriousness of what is happening, leave and start a new denomination/church. Revelation chapters 2&3 is an accurate description of where the visible church is today. The majority have gone astray in various ways but a few have remained faithful. The question that needs to be asked is, "Where is MY church/denomination among those described in Revelation?" Most people play ostrich and refuse to take seriously the signs of impending apostasy around them. And that is one of the major contributions to the demise of their church/denomination. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
That is an excellent summary of the issue.
I couldn't agree with you more concerning the last section of your post. As someone who has needed to change Churches in the last 10 years several times. I can attest that a confession of faith can be quite solid; yet in actuality in practice the Church does not follow it. In my case, out of concern, I have met with the pastor with my concerns (after doing my homework). I was told in no uncertain terms that I was wrong and what they teach is completely in keeping with their confession. One example was the Church supported 'The Hour of Power', which is a ministry of Crystal Cathedral (founded by Robert Schuller).

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 PM.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
We must be constantly reminded that as good as most of the Reformed confessions and catechisms are, they are uninspired, fallible and of only secondary authority. The Church's sole and final authority, the basis of all truth is the Bible and the Bible alone. In too many instances where the main authoritative body in a denomination, e.g., a General Assembly or Synod is forced to examine and judge in matters of doctrine and/or life, but particularly on doctrinal matters, the ruling comes down on the basis if the doctrine in question is "in accord with the Standards" vs. "is the doctrine taught in the Word of God." The #1 reason why the nation of the United States, in fact the entire Western Hemisphere, is under the just wrath and judgment of God is because the visible church has forsaken the Bible and assimilated with the philosophies and practices of the world. Idolatry predominates in the vast majority of churches. Worldliness has been deliberately brought into the church's worship. Sin has not only gone undisciplined but actually taught to be acceptable and encouraged. "There is no fear of God before their eyes." (Rom 3:18)

Isaiah 5:20-21 (ASV) "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!"

Isaiah 30:8-13 (ASV) "Now go, write it before them on a tablet, and inscribe it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever. For it is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of Jehovah; that say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits, get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us. Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and rely thereon; therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly in an instant."

Jeremiah 6:13-19 (ASV) "For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely. They have healed also the hurt of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace. Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore they shall fall among them that fall; at the time that I visit them they shall be cast down, saith Jehovah. Thus saith Jehovah, Stand ye in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way; and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls: but they said, We will not walk [therein]. And I set watchmen over you, [saying], Hearken to the sound of the trumpet; but they said, We will not hearken. Therefore hear, ye nations, and know, O congregation, what is among them. Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words; and as for my law, they have rejected it."

And further, Scripture even provides the counsel and wisdom needed to discern the current times:

Isaiah 8:18-22 (KJV) "Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me [are] for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion. And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them. And they shall pass through it, hardly bestead and hungry: and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse their king and their God, and look upward. And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and [they shall be] driven to darkness."

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Is it not also true, that a good confession is one that lifts up the inspired infallible Scriptures themselves? They were written to safeguard and point the Church away from false doctrine that was entering the Church; to what the Scriptures actually teach; not because they were inspired themselves.

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:13 PM.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Yes, one could say there were 2 main reasons the confessions were written:

1. To guard the church from error, both from without and from within. [NOTE: most heresy originates from within the church and by professors/teachers/pastors/elders].

2. To instruct members of the church in the truth of Scripture.

The Westminster Confession, for example, points from itself and even the visible church to the Bible as its sole and final authority:

CHAPTER I
"OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURE"

I. Although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men unexcusable;[1] yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God, and of His will, which is necessary unto salvation.[2] Therefore it pleased the Lord, at sundry times, and in divers manners, to reveal Himself, and to declare that His will unto His Church;[3] and afterwards for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the Church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing;[4] which makes the Holy Scripture to be most necessary;[5] those former ways of God's revealing His will unto His people being now ceased.[6]

IV. The authority of the Holy Scripture, for which it ought to be believed, and obeyed, depends not upon the testimony of any man, or Church; but wholly upon God (who is truth itself) the author thereof: and therefore it is to be received, because it is the Word of God.[9]

V. We may be moved and induced by the testimony of the Church to an high and reverent esteem of the Holy Scripture.[10] And the heavenliness of the matter, the efficacy of the doctrine, the majesty of the style, the consent of all the parts, the scope of the whole (which is, to give all glory to God), the full discovery it makes of the only way of man's salvation, the many other incomparable excellencies, and the entire perfection thereof, are arguments whereby it does abundantly evidence itself to be the Word of God: yet notwithstanding, our full persuasion and assurance of the infallible truth and divine authority thereof, is from the inward work of the Holy Spirit bearing witness by and with the Word in our hearts.[11]

X. The supreme judge by which all controversies of religion are to be determined, and all decrees of councils, opinions of ancient writers, doctrines of men, and private spirits, are to be examined, and in whose sentence we are to rest, can be no other but the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scripture.[24]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Meta4), 96 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,510,764 Gospel truth