Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Tom #55127 Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:09 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrin
I in no way was trying to even hint that my personal experience is necessarily true of all Reformed Christians. Forgive me if it seemed like I was saying that.
Nevertheless I have been in Reformed circles for quite some time now and I don't remember anyone believing that common grace is related to effectual saving grace.
Again, that does not mean that my personal experience covers the whole gammit of those who concider themselves Reformed. I believe people like RC Sproul used it in a non-salvific sense.
Concerning John Murrays and Ned Stonehouse's booklet. I don't recall it; but then again that doesn't mean I have never come accross it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Tom

Tom #55128 Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:23 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I quote your above reply:
Originally Posted by Tom
I personally don't know anyone who associates the terms with salvation.
I noticed in your reply above, you switched horses in the middle of the stream and you wrote:

Originally Posted by Tom
...I don't remember anyone believing that common grace is related to effectual saving grace.
As I tried to point out, the popular teaching of "common grace" has and continues to influence the content of the Gospel, which is a serious corruption of the biblical Gospel and thus no gospel at all. For those embracing this doctrine constantly insist that God loves everyone without exception and sincerely desires (wills) that all without exception should be saved. They are not teaching that common grace is "effectual" nor "saving". However, as I have already written more than once, it is most certainly related to salvation because it negatively changes the Gospel "which is the power of God unto salvation".

There is no such thing as "common" grace!! God's grace is never common but discriminatory; reserved for the elect, those whom the Father gave to the Lord Christ to redeem and whom the Spirit effectually calls unto Christ through repentance and faith. Beneficence, God's philanthropy toward all men is not to be conflated with GRACE. In fact, all the general goodness of God which he showers upon all men as He determines are without question good things. And it is because they are good and come from God, they will be used as evidence against men at the judgment for they are without thankfulness to God for them, even life itself.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #55129 Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:29 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Beneficence, God's philanthropy toward all men is not to be conflated with GRACE. In fact, all the general goodness of God which he showers upon all men as He determines are without question good things. And it is because they are good and come from God, they will be used as evidence against men at the judgment for they are without thankfulness to God for them, even life itself.
Personally speaking, although I will be nitpicky if people use the term ‘common grace’ to refer to anything other than “Beneficence, God's philanthropy toward all men.” I will not make a big deal about the issue otherwise.
In a way (not perfectly), this reminds me of some Reformed people I have run into that protest against the term “Calvinism”. They state that the term is too misleading and therefore should never be used. There is of course some truth in this, because in this day and age even some 4 pointers call themselves “Calvinists”. However, they protest too loudly.

Tom

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 60 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,484 Gospel truth