Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
I just found out something that surprised me (maybe I shouldn’t be?) that there are some Reformed Christians who believe that because both Roman Catholics and Orthodox practice Trinitarian baptism that they should be considered Christians. They also believe that this is what both the Westminster Larger and Shorter Catechism teaches. They go onto say that they are disciples of Christ, they participate in the New Covenant, irrespective of saving faith, and even if they later claim atheism.
The reason this surprises me, is both the Larger/Shorter Catechisms came out of the Protestant Reformation and this view of them seems (unless I am missing something), to contradict the Reformers themselves.
Thoughts?
Tom

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
You certainly have a history of running into some of the weirdest people that hold to amazingly ridiculous views. dizzy giggle

Now, in the past and I have no doubt it continues, there are some Reformed individuals, e.g., Charles Hodge who held that RC baptism was legitimate, i.e., if a "former" Roman Catholic desires to become a member of a Reformed Church, their baptism is recognized as valid. There is no requirement to be re-baptized. I disagree with that view. evilgrin It is true, that an individual who denies the doctrine of the Trinity is unregenerate and cannot be admitted to membership in any church. Membership in a true church although it INCLUDES the necessity of having at least a rudimentary understanding and embracing of orthodox, biblical doctrine, is mainly based upon a credible profession of faith (the definition of which today has become so open that it has lost any real meaning). If you recall, I have myriad times written on this board that one is not saved on the basis of professing true doctrine, BUT one cannot be saved without holding to true doctrine, especially the doctrine of soteriology (the doctrine of salvation), which is the biblical Gospel (which also has been so distorted and dumbed down today that it is basically unrecognizable when compared to biblical teaching).

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
You are right, I do run into some people with rediculous views. What is strange about this particular one, is that these particular people on that particular Reformed Facebook board seemed quite sound; until they revealed that. I didn't even know that was a view of the Larger/shorter catechism. Could this have something to do with the Federal Vision controversy?

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:20 PM.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Tom
Pilgrim
I didn't even know that was a view of the Larger/shorter catechism. Could this have something to do with the Federal Vision controversy?
You need have them provide the alleged sections in the Westminster LC & SC that teach,

They also believe that this is what both the Westminster Larger and Shorter Catechism teaches. They go onto say that they are disciples of Christ, they participate in the New Covenant, irrespective of saving faith, and even if they later claim atheism.
I can tell you assuredly, that neither document even hints at such a spurious view. Professing that God is triune; one God in three persons does NOT automatically make one a Christian, never mind a 'disciple of Christ'.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 78 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,125 Gospel truth