Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#55516 Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
The Reformed Doctrine of Election
As probably most of you are aware; when the discussion of the Reformed Doctrine of Election is brought up. Many non-Calvinists stoop to really low level to try to disprove it.
I just had one of those silly conversations. He told me that in order for the Reformed view of election to be correct, the Bible would need to tell us explicitly why God elects some and not others.
He went onto say that seeing how the Bible does not tell us. It must be arbitrary, like a lottery.
I then spent a fair amount of time showing him exactly what we believe and how that is not "arbitrary".
He then told me Webster's definition of arbitrary and he said it obviously described what we believed seeing we don't know what the reason is.
To be quite frank; I started to be embarrassed for him.
I bow out of the conversation leaving him in his silliness.
To make matters worse, he claimed he was a Calvinist for many years; before he abandoned it.

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Deut 29:29 "The secret things belong unto Jehovah our God; but the things that are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law."

Isaiah 46:9-11 "9 Remember the former things of old: [a]for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me; 10 declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done; saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure; 11 calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country; yea, I have spoken, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed, I will also do it."

Rom 9:14-26 "What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, [h]I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that hath mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, [i]For this very purpose did I raise thee up, that I might show in thee my power, and that my name might be published abroad in all the earth. 18 So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will he hardeneth.

19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he still find fault? For who withstandeth his will? 20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus? 21 Or hath not the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor? 22 What if God, [j]willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering vessels of wrath fitted unto destruction: 23 [k]and that he might make known the riches of his glory upon vessels of mercy, which he afore prepared unto glory, 24 even us, whom he also called, not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles? 25 As he saith also in Hosea,

[l]I will call that my people, which was not my people;
And her beloved, that was not beloved.
26 [m]And it shall be, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people,
There shall they be called sons of the living God."

Ephesians 1:3-12 "3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ: 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blemish before [c]him in love: 5 having foreordained us unto adoption as sons through Jesus Christ unto himself, [b]according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 to the praise of the glory of his grace, [d]which he freely bestowed on us in the Beloved: 7 in whom we have our redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 making known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he purposed in him 10 unto a dispensation of the fulness of the [f]times, to sum up all things in Christ, the things [g]in the heavens, and the things upon the earth; in him, I say, 11 in whom also we were made a heritage, having been foreordained according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his will; 12 to the end that we should be unto the praise of his glory, we who [h]had before hoped in Christ:"

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Journeyman
Journeyman
[Job 21:30 (NKJ)] “For the wicked are reserved for the day of doom; They shall be brought out on the day of wrath.”

[Prov. 16:4 (NKJ)] The Lord has made all for Himself, Yes, even the wicked for the day of doom.

[Is. 45:9 (RSV/NASB)] “Woe to him who strives with his Maker, an earthen vessel with the potter! Will the clay say to him who fashions it, ‘What are you making?’ Or the thing you are making say, ‘He has no hands’?”

Meta4

There is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. - C.H. Spurgeon

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,484 Gospel truth