Donations for the month of September

We have received a total of "$30.51" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,819
Posts51,853
Members939
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,635
Tom 3,673
chestnutmare 2,975
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,788
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 14
Tom 11
John_C 4
Meta4 1
Recent Posts
Pawns on a Chess Board
by Pilgrim. Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:29 PM
Working on Sunday
by Pilgrim. Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 AM
Lordship Salvation Why So Controversial?
by Tom. Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:49 AM
Unregenerate Christians?
by Tom. Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:50 AM
Evangelism and Apologetics by Dr. Greg Bahnsen
by Pilgrim. Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:27 AM
Plato vs Aristotle
by Tom. Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:01 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Baltimore: A City's Decay as a Metaphor of the Church #55628
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:09 AM
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:09 AM
NH, USA
Pilgrim Offline OP

Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline OP

Head Honcho
NH, USA
Dr. Paul Elliott has recently posted the first article in an upcoming series on the decay of the Church (visible). I was personally amused, in a good way, to read through this short introductory article for it echoes what I have been suggesting... okay, insisting for years that there is an uncanny and sad similarity between modern government and the modern visible church, both of which are corrupt and are barely recognizable when compared to their respective beginnings. I'm thinking particularly, as might be expected, of the United States of America and to a lesser degree Canada as well.

Anyway, here's a link to the first article in this new series which I am looking forward to reading, D.v. Perhaps you will find it as potentially provocative but a needed breath of fresh air as well. shrug grin

Clicky here: Baltimore: A City's Decay as a Metaphor of the Church.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Re: Baltimore: A City's Decay as a Metaphor of the Church [Re: Pilgrim] #55629
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:25 AM
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:25 AM
NH, USA
Pilgrim Offline OP

Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline OP

Head Honcho
NH, USA
Here are the next two installments of this series by Paul Elliott which arrived today:

- The Post-Scriptural Church
I can personally testify to many of the items Dr. Elliott mentions in this article. These things were happening and being taught in one of the most highly respected "conservative" seminaries back in the late '70s and early '80s when I was a student at the OPC's "Westminster Theological Seminary" in Philadelphia. "Westminster West" in Escondido, California started out corrupted from the beginning and has continued to decline in orthodoxy as has the Philadelphia branch. That is NOT to say that every professor at either of these institutions is heretical. But what is true is that there is much heresy being taught and embraced in them. [Linked Image]

- The Church Must Bow to the True Nature of Scripture

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Re: Baltimore: A City's Decay as a Metaphor of the Church [Re: Pilgrim] #55630
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:58 PM
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:58 PM
Canada
Meta4 Online content
Journeyman
Meta4  Online Content
Journeyman
Canada
Pilgrim, thanks for linking these interesting, important, helpful articles. I do hope you will continue to add the links to the remainder of the series, as they become available. The articles correspond with my experience of "churches" in my own city. So much so, that I can honestly say that I doubt that there is a true Christian church left here. If future articles delve into specific practices, such as forms of "worship" (deafening bands, etc.), I'm sure they will jive with what goes on here.

But there is another reason that I am taken with Paul Elliott's articles, and that is his style of writing. It is incredibly refreshing to read an article written in proper, non-politically-correct English (Why be politically correct, when you can be right? giggle ). I am referring specifically to his correct usage of masculine singular pronouns ("he", etc.) to refer to individuals, vs. the "gender-neutral" plural pronouns ("they", et al.), that are the stock-in-trade of the feminist/political agenda that has seemingly brain-washed the entire population. Yes, I am looking right at many posters on this very forum. But more importantly, I am referring to almost every preacher today, including true Christian ministers. I truly cannot remember the last time I heard a preacher speak in this fashion!

</rant>

Meta4

There is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. - C.H. Spurgeon
Re: Baltimore: A City's Decay as a Metaphor of the Church [Re: Pilgrim] #55631
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:54 AM
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:54 AM
Mississippi Gulf Coast
John_C Offline

Permanent Resident
John_C  Offline

Permanent Resident
Mississippi Gulf Coast
In what ways are the two Westminsters promoting or not dealing with heresies? Just curious.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Re: Baltimore: A City's Decay as a Metaphor of the Church [Re: John_C] #55632
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:39 PM
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:39 PM
NH, USA
Pilgrim Offline OP

Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline OP

Head Honcho
NH, USA
Too many to list here, but here are 3 major heresies that have ravaged the OPC and the PCA either in the same matter or in similar matters:

1. The doctrine of creation was debated for years and finally came to a head. In a nutshell, the GA ruled that all the various views were ALL compatible with the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Larger/Shorter Catechism. Thus, it was permitted to teach Theistic Evolution, Framework Theory, 6-Dary 24-Hour Creation, etc. HOW is this possible you ask? Because of the fundamental shift within the OPC due mainly to some professors of WTS in Philadelphia, e.g., John Frame and Vern Poythress, both of whom I had as professors personally. There was a critical change in biblical hermeneutics from the Grammatico-Historico method to "Multiperspectivalism". In short, no longer was the hermeneutical principle which had been approved and used for centuries acceptable and in its place was Frame's "Multiperspectivalism" was adopted and taught. Each person will read the Bible from their own "perspective" and thus come to a different understanding and application of that understanding. And, even though these various views may be antithetical, they are nevertheless deemed true and therefore acceptable. Do you see the basic problem here? It is a denial of the doctrine of the divine inspiration of Scripture which is thus inerrant and infallible... absolute truth, or as Francis Schaeffer liked to call it, True Truth. So, the OPC ruled and adopted what they call the "Hermeneutic of Trust".

2. The Norman Shepherd controversy, which was a forerunner of the later New Perspective on Paul and Federal Vision. Norman Shepherd was teaching a salvation (justification) by faith + works, a vastly different understanding of "covenant" and a form of baptismal regeneration. He was allowed to continue teaching these damnable heresies for years before resigning due to a large outcry from the denomination's members. The faculty and Board of Directors of WTS refused/failed to bring charges against Shepherd and thus hundreds of students were infected with these heresies (by their own decision to do so), graduated and most became pastors of churches where they also taught these heresies to their respective congregations, most of whom lovingly embraced them as well because a "pastor" was teaching them.

3. The John Kinnaird controversy. Kinnaird, an OPC Elder was brought up on charges by his own session for teaching damnable heresy; Federal Vision. He appealed the charge to the Presbytery which upheld the charge. And he then appealed to the General Assembly. As is typical within Presbyterianism, a committee was charged with examining the charges and the teachings of Kinnaird. After several years (typical) the matter came to trial in the GA but a clever move was made by some of his defenders who objected to some "procedural error" and in the end, Kinnaird was found not guilty, even though the OPC had publicly stated its rejection of Federal Vision.

I have mentioned several times on this board over the years that if you want a thorough understanding of the downward move of the OPC and the PCA, although the OPC is where the main light is focused, one read Dr. Paul M. Elliott's book, Christianity and Neo-Liberalism.

Here are a couple of articles which deal with the John Kinnaird case and the failure of the OPC to exercise proper discipline when confronted with the heresies being taught by him.

Orthodox Presbyterian Church Endorses Teaching of John O. Kinnaird

The Case of John O. Kinnaird Ruling...Presbyterian Church Oxford, Pennsylvania

If you do a search for "Elliott" on The Highway homepage using the provided search box, you will find several other salient articles on these matters as well.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 26 guests, and 119 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zishan Ladha, Luke, Sonshine, CNAPS, Owen J. Knox
939 Registered Users
Shout Box
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
979,900 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.047s Queries: 15 (0.003s) Memory: 2.8534 MB (Peak: 3.1338 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2019-09-17 00:43:39 UTC