John Lafayette Girardeau is the author of this month's "Article of the Month". This is a sermon that was preached in the First Presbyterian Church, Columbia, S.C., on Sabbath night, January 29, 1882. It was prepared at the request of the Ladies’ Benevolent Society, and was delivered in the interest of its work. The text from Scripture upon which he based his sermon was Matthew 25:40, “And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

The question now springs up and challenges attention, What sort of works are those which Christ tells us will afford the evidence of the justice of the judicial sentences? The answer is, works of charity; and it is an answer which merits our maturest consideration.

In this sermon the truth of the inseparable relationship between justification and sanctification is clearly expounded which simply dispels any such notions of many current heresies, e.g., NCT (New Covenant Theology), Hyper Grace, NPP/FV (New Perspective on Paul/Federal Vision), et al. But the majority of the sermon is positive in nature, i.e., good works, particularly works of charity to others will be greatly rewarded (which should not be one's motivation) in the last day when all shall stand before the throne of Almighty God and receive that which is due. Again, works of any kind cannot and do not justify a sinner before God. Salvation is by faith ALONE, but not by a faith that is alone. grin

You can read this wonderful sermon by clicking here: The Office of Works of Charity in the Last Judgement.

OR, you can always find this article and all past articles in the Article of the Month Library.

In His service and grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]