Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

I have to say that this is a thorough message on Regeneration. MacArthur explains this topic of new birth and it's importance
as well as I've heard. I hope you are blessed also.

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
For other thorough studies on this subject, see:

Regeneration, or the New Birth by A.W. Pink
Regeneration-The Nature, Causes and Means of Regeneration by John Owen
Thoughts on Religious Experience by Archibald Alexander

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Online Content
Needs to get a Life
MacArthur is pretty sound when it comes to soteriology. But not so much when it comes to eschatology.
I like how he is not afraid to say it like it is; but there are times he uses straw men against Amills, even going as far as calling them anti-semetic.
That gets my dander up.

Tom

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Tom, I think I should have said of MacArthur's message is that in this modern day " church " he displays an adequate understanding of regeneration and that it is necessary to true conversion. I do not agree 100 % with everything he said, especially " the new birth and conversion are instantaneous not a process lasting months or years ". Pilgrim, the 3 articles you posted links for are excellent! The new birth and conversion experience varies. Experimental conversion in true believers may take years as in my own case ( legal terrors and the such, very similar to John Bunyan ) down to a short time and could be instantaneous. Real conversion is not a cookie cutter experience. What is displayed in the 3 articles you posted Pilgrim, is to me a correct explanation of the true workings of grace upon a soul by the sovereign God. Messages like these articles should be preached in churches today. MacArthur gets close on the workings of soteriology and in this day of rampant false conversions this is at least a breath of fresh air. Pink's view on the new birth is comparable to the older writings. He is very experimental, especially as he got older and had a better handle on the truth. What can we say about Owen, Alexander and Edward's in Alexander's writing? Very Good Indeed. I have Joel Beeke's A Puritan Theology and he does a great job compiling various puritan's thoughts on theological and doctrinal matters including regeneration. One more thing Tom, I am Reformed Baptist and there are things I am not on the same page as MacArthur, for instance Eschatology. I try to glean the good from modern day men like Macarthur, Beeke and others who are basically straight on soteriology. It's great to be a part of this wonderful website to learn from my fellow believers and the archives of sound theological material. Many like the newer websites, I don't. I like the old paths and a highway that's been trodden on for many years by true believers.

Tom Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Rick
Welcome fellow Reformed Baptist!
By the way, through the years I have run into Calvinist believers of various stripes who believe either that new birth and conversion are instantaneous and those who disagree.
Also, I agree with you on your view, but I usually do not make a big deal on the issue. In the end, unless I am missing something the differences are really minor and not worth quibbling about.
When it comes to Baptist CT or Federalism if you prefer. I have a new favorite site. https://www.1689federalism.com/

Pilgrim, The Highway is still my favorite over-all site. peace

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:40 PM.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Tom,
I adhere to the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith. From, what I've been told, Federal Headship dated back to the 1400's and 1500's. I believe the Puritans refined this further in the 1600's in the Westminster and London Baptist confessions. I am in the process of learning more. Sorry it took so long to get back. I am starting to work on my firewood for next year. Rick

The Highway Rules claphands

Last edited by Rick; Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:16 PM.
Tom Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Rick

I am very fond of 'The Highway', in fact I cut my Calvinist teeth here. I can tell you when those teeth were coming in, they really hurt. If you get my meaning. wink

The site that I gave you https://www.1689federalism.com/, like myself also adheres to the 1689 LBCF and much like The Highway, is a gold mine. They have done their homework, with reading the writings of the people responsible for drafting the 1689 LBCF. One name that really stands out, is Nehemiah Coxe, who very likely was responsible for the editing of the 1689 LBCF. You said that you are in the process of learning more. Besides the Highway, you can't go wrong with learning more concerning the 1689 LBCF from that site I told you about. I have finished reading 'The Distinctiveness of Baptist Covenant Theology' by Pascal Denault and started reading 'Covenant Theology-From Adam to Christ' by Nehemiah Coxe and John Owen. You can find out about these books at the site I provided a link to.

Last edited by Tom; Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:00 AM.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Actually, the doctrine of "Federal Headship" dates back to here grin

Romans 5:12-19 (ASV) 12 Therefore, as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin; and so death passed unto all men, for that all sinned:-- 13 for until the law sin was in the world; but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the likeness of Adam's transgression, who is a figure of him that was to come. 15 But not as the trespass, so also [is] the free gift. For if by the trespass of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God, and the gift by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound unto the many. 16 And not as through one that sinned, [so] is the gift: for the judgment [came] of one unto condemnation, but the free gift [came] of many trespasses unto justification. 17 For if, by the trespass of the one, death reigned through the one; much more shall they that receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one, [even] Jesus Christ. 18 So then as through one trespass [the judgment came] unto all men to condemnation; even so through one act of righteousness [the free gift came] unto all men to justification of life. 19 For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the one shall the many be made righteous.
Kinda obvious, eh? giggle

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Brother Pilgrim,
Yes it is very obvious. bow The second Adam certainly is the Federal Head or Representative of those whom the Father chose before the foundation of the world and wrote in the Lamb's book of life and gave to His Son Jesus to as a Substitute die for the elect. We have many names for things like Calvinism, Federal Headship and such the like, but alas it is all scriptural truth and scriptural truth predates all the theological and doctrinal studies that have been developed down through the years

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth