Donations for the month of May

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,792
Posts54,932
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,464
Tom 4,533
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,867
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 5
John_C 1
Recent Posts
American Election
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 AM
Nouthetic Counseling
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 AM
N.T. Wright
by Pilgrim - Fri May 03, 2024 6:47 PM
The Righteousness of God - Horatius Bonar
by Pilgrim - Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#58947 Fri May 03, 2024 5:55 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Nouthetic Counseling
For years I have been a fan of Dr. Jay Adam’s and Nouthetic Counseling.
I have even taken a few courses in a former Church I attended.

I am having a discussion with someone whose husband was up until recently a trained Nouthetic Counselor. They abhor secular psychology, but no longer believe Nouthetic counseling is a good option, because they personally know people whom it has done more harm than good to.

I asked to person to give specific example and the following is the example I was given.

I was hoping to get some feedback. Before I respond.

Tom Hardy yes I agree anything can be twisted. But the way nouthetic counseling is done is twisted. I truly appreciate your response and willingness to not discount what I say.
I feel passionately about pointing out the issues because I’ve seen the self-righteousness it causes and the damage that it creates.

I’m posting a critique on Jay Adam’s book from a solidly constructed argument. I don’t know anything about the writer, but what I read of this article I completely agree with and might help you understand why this method isn’t biblical. Jay Adams is the guy that started the movement.

I would also recommend looking into the Eileen Grey case that happened in MacArthur’s church. Her family was provided with nouthetic counseling. It wasn’t twisted in the way the counseling was done, it’s just twisted in the process ACBC structured the process.

https://heresthejoy.com/2022/04/the...ounseling-works-sanctification-doctrine/

Tom #58953 Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Rebecca Davis
How Do We Get Godliness?
If I were to write a booklet for unsaved people called “Salvation through Bible Reading,” you might say, oh, but salvation doesn’t come through Bible reading, however good and helpful that might be. Salvation comes through faith alone in Christ alone.

This is what I say about sanctification/holiness/godliness. The so-called “Christian disciplines” of prayer, Bible reading, etc, are excellent and important things. But they are not the path to holiness any more than are the disciplines of physical exercise.

All salvation—including the salvation from daily temptations to sin and daily reliance on God that is called “holiness”—is through faith alone in Christ alone. This is where all the Scriptures point us.

This is the gospel, and it’s truly Good News. Grace—the divine inflow-outflow of God—comes through faith in Jesus Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit.

This is freedom. This is joy. This is Christianity.

After reading through Ms. Davis' critique and objection of Dr. Jay Adam's booklet Godliness Through Discipline she wrote a response to what she thinks Jay Adam's was wrong teaching; holiness via works sanctification. Too bad she didn't read more of what Jay Adam's wrote and the basis of his foundational views in regard to biblical sanctification which is known as historic 'synergistic sanctification" vs. "monergistic sanctification". Methinks Phil 2:11,12 is clear enough on this distinction: "So then, my beloved, even as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who worketh in you both to will and to work, for his good pleasure." We are monergistically predestined, regenerated, justified and glorified, but we are synergistically sanctified by the Spirit and our new nature created by the Spirit which has NO MERIT in regard to our salvation (justification). Ms. Davis thinks that "believing in Christ and His resurrection" is all that is needed to live a holy life, which indeed God demands; "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" (Matt 5:48). She takes issue with Adam's interpretation of 3 passages concerning the "old man" and claims that the old man no longer exists due to Christ's resurrection, but that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. IF that was fact, then why would Paul write for believers to "put off the old man" Eph 4:22ff. Notice all the injunctions for a believer, the person to DO this and that, i.e., stop living a certain way and begin living God's righteous and holy way IF that was already accomplished in Christ? The short of it for me is that she is not fully informed about Jay Adam's theological views re: sanctification and the work of Christ for whatever reason and her theology isn't biblically based, albeit shared by some others.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 59 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,515,657 Gospel truth