Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J_Edwards #8085 Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:23 PM
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Is Mr. Boettner still alive? I'd like to send him an e-mail and tell him what a wonderful book he has written. Chapter 17 was extremely helpful.

In the midst of your sadness and woe, when you are tormented and afflicted, have comfort! God's will is done.
ReformedThinker #8086 Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:36 PM
Veteran
Veteran
No, he died in 1990. That's what happens when you learn from old dead theologians like we do [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]<br><br>

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
MarieP #8087 Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thanks for that uplifting post Marie you'll excuse me now I need to go get measured for that pine box. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/eek.gif" alt="eek" title="eek[/img]

ReformedThinker #8088 Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Is GOD name JEHOVAH? iF SO THEN WHY DON'T WE CALL HIM BY HIS NAME? IS IT BECAUSE WE MIGHT BE LABEL "JEHOVAH WITNESS. NO I AM NOT A JEHOVAH WITNESS AND I AM NOT A PRESBYTERIAN.

#8089 Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:14 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, thebutler.<br><br>First of all, please do not shout! As for the Name of God, I use "the Lord" most often. I also use God if I am in a Christian context where they know Whom I am talking about. But I also use Yahweh when I want to use the more specific Name. Of course, I use Christ Jesus (the second Person of the Trinity). I know Jehovah is a proper name, but I do not use it often because of what you said- I don't want people to assume that I am Jehovah's Witness. I am a Christian, not a Jehovah's Witness! (Of course, I have gone on door to door evangelism trips, and thankfully no one thought we were JW's). We could use El Shaddai and I AM, but those are not as often used.

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
MarieP #8090 Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:26 PM
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
That's a shame. He wrote a really good book. I just found a Word97 copy of Roman Catholicism. I'll try to find the link again so I can post it up here.

In the midst of your sadness and woe, when you are tormented and afflicted, have comfort! God's will is done.
#8091 Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:42 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
thebutler,<br><br>Welcome to the Forum. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]<br><br>As sbc_and_reformed asked you.. "don't shout"! But she is assuming that you are aware that on the Internet, USING ALL CAPS is universally recognized as synonymous with vocally shouting. It is fine to use CAPS as a means of emphasizing something, but it shouldn't be done in the manner in which you have written your reply. So, please respect the accepted means of communication in this medium.<br><br>Now, to the issue you raised, i.e., "the name of God = Jehovah", are you aware that "Jehovah" doesn't actually exist biblically? It is derived from 4 consonants (with no vowels), thus making it unpronounceable. It is called the "Tetragrammaton". For the sake of bing able to pronounce that four-letter word 3 vowels have been added. Technically, it is the verb "to be", which is rightly translated, I AM (cf. Ex. 3:14). It is also acceptable to use either Jehovah or Yahweh.<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #8092 Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Sorry, but I don't know much about how people communicate on the internet.<br>My thoughts are why everyone are so stuck on denomination more than what the WORD of GOD says. If a person speak good of another religion then others think they are going to change over to that religion. I asked the question about JEHOVAH because a j.w. asked me how I would feel if the people I know and the ones that know me called me by something other than my name? I feel that if something is giving to you and it lines up with the WORD of GOD then we should line up with that. No matter what denomination it came from. Because we are suppose to follow GOD's WORD not man's denomination.?

#8093 Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:09 PM
Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
I don't have any problem saying Jehovah, but El ("God") is also a name of God. So are Theos ("God") and Kyrios ("Lord"). J. Witnesses, however, make an idol out of it, claiming that everyone who doesn't know God's personal name as "Jehovah" is lost in sin!

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
#8094 Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:29 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Simply replace the term 'Calvinism' with Biblical Christianity - they are one and the same.<br><br>howard

#8095 Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:24 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]I feel that if something is giving to you and it lines up with the WORD of GOD then we should line up with that. No matter what denomination it came from. Because we are suppose to follow GOD's WORD not man's denomination.?</font><hr></blockquote><p>Truth is truth no matter it's source. Isn't that what you are trying to say? Well, you won't get any disagreements from me or anyone else here, I would guess. However, this matter of the "real" and "only" name of God being Jehovah cannot be proven true from Scripture, which IS the truth. (Jh 17:17) It is a false doctrine and therefore, why would you want to follow it, especially knowing that it comes from a cult, not a "denomination", a cult that denies the Trinity, the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, the deity of the Holy Spirit, who denies justification by faith alone, eternal damnation, and a host of other cardinal doctrines of historic biblical Christianity? [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/flee.gif" alt="flee" title="flee[/img]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #8096 Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
JEHOVAH = self-Existent or Eternal. Jewish national name for GOD. The Tetragrammaton YHWH first appearance in the biblical record is GEN. 2:4.The divine name YHWH only appears in the Bible. GOD chose it as His personal name by which He related specifically to <br>His chosen or covenant people.

#8097 Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:25 PM
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
You know, for a discussion that started out as being about "double predestination" I think you called it, this has gotten waaaaaaaay off-topic.<br><br>PS. Could someone define double predestination for me? I'd never heard of it.

ReformedThinker #8098 Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:31 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I can do better than "define" the term... [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink[/img] And you could have done better by doing a simple search on The Highway website and you would have found these:<br><br>Double Predestination by R.C. Sproul.<br><br>The Double Predestination to Holiness and Sin by W.G.T. Shedd.<br><br>ENJOY! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
ReformedThinker #8099 Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:35 PM
Addict
Addict
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]PS. Could someone define double predestination for me? I'd never heard of it. </font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Here is an article on the highway by R.C Sproul that should answer the question.<br>Double Predestination<br><br>in Christ,<br>Carlos

"Let all that mind...the peace and comfort of their own souls, wholly apply themselves to the study of Jesus Christ, and him crucified"(Flavel)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 78 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,125 Gospel truth