Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#995 Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:57 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If any man thinks ill of you, do not be angry with him, for you are worse than he thinks you to be. If he charges you falsely at some point, yet be satisfied, for if he knew you better he might change the accusation and you would be no gainer for the correction. If you have your moral portrait painted and it is ugly, be satisfied, for it only needs a few blacker touches and it would be nearer to the truth. <br>C. H. Spurgeon<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Susan,<br><br>Ye-e-ow. I really wish I could say Spurgeon was being "overdramatic", but unfortunately he was correct about this, as he was about so many things.<br><br>Thanks for the quotes.<br><br>Theo

Theo #996 Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I found some more good quotes on another forum. <br>Here they are.<br><br>M'Cheyne and Spurgeon<br><br>Robert Murray M'Cheyne - <br>"For every look at self, take ten looks at Christ."<br><br>"Live near to God, and all things will appear little to you in comparison with eternal realities."<br><br>"The greatest need of my people is my personal holiness."<br><br>"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me."<br><br><br>Charles Haddon Spurgeon - <br><br>"I do not come into this pulpit hoping that perhaps somebody will of his own free will return to Christ. My hope lies in another quarter. I hope that my Master will lay hold of some of them and say, 'You are Mine, and you shall be Mine. I claim you for Myself.' My hope arises from the freeness of grace, and not from the freedom of the will."<br><br>"It is the will of God that saves. It is the will of man that damns. "<br><br>"Faith expects to hear the voice behind it saying, "This is the way, walk ye in it." Trusting our own judgment often means following our own whims; but faith seeks direction from infallible wisdom, and so it is led in a right way. God knows your capacity better than you do; entreat him to choose your inheritance for you. "<br><br>"It’s a good thing God chose me before I was born, because he surely would not have afterwards."

#997 Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:36 PM
carlos Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Susan,<br><br><br>Thanks for the great quotes from spurgeon and Murray M'Cheyne ...I especially the love one from spurgeon: "It’s a good thing God chose me before I was born, because he surely would not have afterwards." <br><br><br>Carlos

"Let all that mind...the peace and comfort of their own souls, wholly apply themselves to the study of Jesus Christ, and him crucified"(Flavel)
carlos #998 Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:29 AM
Here are some quotes I found at another site. All of these are posted somewhere in my house!<br><br>Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected. Jonathan Edwards<br><br>Ah! the bridge of grace will bear your weight, brother. Thousands of big sinners have gone across that bridge, yea, tens of thousands have gone over it. I can hear their trampings now as they traverse the great arches of the bridge of salvation. They come by their thousands, by their myriads; e'er since the day when Christ first entered into His glory, they come, and yet never a stone has sprung in that mighty bridge. Some have been the chief of sinners, and some have come at the very last of their days, but the arch has never yielded beneath their weight. I will go with them trusting to the same support; it will bear me over as it has borne them. C.H. Spurgeon<br><br>Knowledge is vain and fruitless which is not reduced to practice. Matthew Henry<br><br>You have heard a great many Arminian sermons, I dare say; but you never heard an Arminian prayer--for the saints in prayer appear as one in word and deed and mind. An Arminian on his knees would pray desperately like a Calvinist. He cannot pray about free will: there is no room for it. Fancy him praying, 'Lord, I thank thee I am not like those poor presumptuous Calvinists. Lord, I was born with a glorious free-will; I was born with power by which I can turn to thee of myself; I have improved my grace. If everybody had done the same with their grace that I have, they might all have been saved. Lord, I know that thou dost not make us willing if we are not willing ourselves. John Owen<br><br>Resolved to live with all my might, while I do live. Jonathan Edwards<br><br>I was not born to be free. I was born to adore and to obey. C. S. Lewis<br><br>There is no such thing as a solitary Christian. John Wesley<br><br>I believe a very large majority of churchgoers are merely unthinking, slumbering worshipers of an unknown God. Charles H. Spurgeon<br><br>Coincidences are spiritual puns. G. K. Chesterton

Grace is but glory begun;
Glory is but grace perfected!
- Jonathan Edwards
carlos #999 Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
When principles that run against your deepest convictions begin to win the day, battle is your calling. Peace becomes sin. You must, at the price of dearest peace, lay your convictions bare before friend and enemy with all the fire of your faith. [Linked Image]<br><br>Abraham Kuyper<br><br>There is no pit so deep that He is not deeper still. [Linked Image]<br><br>Corrie Ten Boom<br><br>

#1000 Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:28 PM
carlos Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Hi Mercedes,<br><br>I liked that quote corrie Ten boom. I've never heard of the name. Who is he?<br><br>Here's some good quotes from JI packer's Introduction to John Owen's Death of Death -<br><br>"Where the Arminian says, 'I owe my election to my faith', the Calvinist says, 'I owe my faith to my election."<br><br>Where the Arminian will only say; 'I could not have gained my salvation without Calvary', the Calvinist will say, 'Christ gained my salvation for me at Calvary.<br><br>Where the Arminian, therefore, will be content to say, 'l decided for Christ', 'l made up my mind to be a Christian,' the Calvinist will wish to speak of his conversion in more theological fashion, to make plain whose work it really was:<br>Long my imprisoned spirit lay <br>Fast bound in sin and nature's night: <br>Thine eye diffused a quickening ray; <br>I woke; the dungeon flamed with light; <br>My chains fell off : my heart was free: <br>I rose, went forth, and followed thee.5<br><br><br><br><br>Carlos

"Let all that mind...the peace and comfort of their own souls, wholly apply themselves to the study of Jesus Christ, and him crucified"(Flavel)
carlos #1001 Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
First Corrie Ten Boom is a she, second she and her family risked their lives hiding Jews during WWII. She wrote a book about it called the Hiding Place where she chronicled her life during that time and when she was in a concentration camp. I think too there was a film made with the same name but not sure.

#1002 Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:29 AM
carlos Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
PresterJohn<br><br>thanks for the info. <br><br><br>Carlos

carlos #1003 Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:39 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I'm reading a biography of Jonathan Edwards, and believe it or not, there is some good stuff in here. I came across this yesterday in my reading, and it really hit me as truth and reminded me of how much we need God in every single aspect of our lives. This is Edwards from Part 4 of his Thoughts Concerning the Present Revival.<br><br>"What a poor, blind, weak and miserable creature is man, at his best estate! We are like poor helpless sheep; the devil is too subtle for us. What is our strength! What is our wisdom! How ready are we to go astray! How easily are we drawn aside into innumerable snares, while in the mean time we are bold and confident, and doubt not but we are right and safe! We are foolish sheep in the midst of subtle serpents and cruel wolves, and do not know it. Oh how unfit are we to be left to ourselves! And how much do we stand in need of the wisdom, the power, the condescension, patience, forgiveness, and gentleness of our good Shepherd!"<br><br>Quoted from Jonathan Edwards, A New Biography by Iain H. Murray<br>

#1004 Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:27 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Dear RefBap,<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]I'm reading a biography of Jonathan Edwards, and believe it or not, there is some good stuff in here</font><hr></blockquote><p>Well, believe it or not...I believe it! The little of Edwards that I have read, and I hope to read more, conveys to me a tender-hearted, pastoral approach rooted in an awe of the mercy of God in Jesus Christ.<br><br>Just curious. Were you, like me, introduced to Edwards through an American Literature course taught by a public junior high school teacher with no more understanding of Christian theology than Organic Chemistry, who used as her sole excerpt--you guessed it: Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God?

In Christ,
Paul S
Paul_S #1005 Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:39 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Paul,<br><br>Actually, I don't recall hearing of Jonathan Edwards until a few years ago, and I was reading some sermons. I came across one much worse than Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, and I instantly disliked him. I still haven't reconciled how it is that "one of the most brilliant minds this country ever produced" could have written something like that. Like you, though, I am being exposed to some other things he has written besides all the morbid junk that I thought he was obsessed with. <br><br>RefBap

#1006 Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:59 AM
carlos Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Refbap,<br><br>[Linked Image]<br>I don't think J.E was obsessed with "morbid junk". He taught the whole counsel of God. He taught the love of God in it's sweetest form, and the Justice, HOliness, and Hell in it's most severe form. He held nothing back. I don't believe He was obsessed. Rather, He fully trusted in the sovereignty of God's word and the whole WORD of god. I don't think anyone who has the read a variety of his sermons or his 2 volume works could come that conlusion. You are probably thinking you've heard me say all this stuff before in the chat.<br><br><br>Carlos

carlos #1007 Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hi Carlos,<br><br>I'm learning that JE wrote some other stuff, but I do think some of it is morbid junk! <br><br>RefBap

#1008 Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:35 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
RefBap,
In reply to:
[color:"blue"]I do think some of it is morbid junk!

Hmmm....I recall being warned thusly in a different thread:

I know you know this, but I would be really careful about getting things in context
In that light, would you mind posting a sample of Edwards' material which elicited such a response from you?

(BTW, my attempt to do the same on the other thread is still "a work in progress" as my daughter tries to contact the person who read the material we questioned.)

In Christ,
Paul S
#1009 Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:21 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
RefBap,<br>That was a great quote and full of wisdom. I am glad that you are finding some "good stuff" in his quotes. Maybe the reason some people don't like Edwards' writings is because they don't want to hear the truth about themselves. It isn't too flattering! [Linked Image]<br>Susan<br><br><br>

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 47 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,469 Gospel truth