The Highway
Posted By: John_C On theologies - Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:13 PM
Are there basically only two theologies - Covenant and Dispensational. I mean they are the only two compared in resources. How long has Dispensational been around. I have always thought it be a relative new concept, maybe in the late 1800s with Chafer and I forget the other names.
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: On theologies - Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:27 PM
Originally Posted by John_C
Are there basically only two theologies - Covenant and Dispensational. I mean they are the only two compared in resources. How long has Dispensational been around. I have always thought it be a relative new concept, maybe in the late 1800s with Chafer and I forget the other names.
Yep, classic Dispensationalism appeared in the mid 1800s via John Nelson Darby and made popular by C.I. Scofield. It was during that period of history that most of the sects and cults appeared too.
Posted By: JesusFan Re: On theologies - Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:28 PM
't there in some of the Early Church Fathers though a premil viewpoint in their views regarding the end times, and so Dispy built upon that foundation in some fashion?
Posted By: JesusFan Re: On theologies - Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:29 PM
darby was the father of it, and the schools such as Dallas theological seminary under Dr Chafer really pushed it forward...
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: On theologies - Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by JesusFan
't there in some of the Early Church Fathers though a premil viewpoint in their views regarding the end times, and so Dispy built upon that foundation in some fashion?
1. The History of Chiliasm by William Masselink.

2. Dispensationalism may have some things in common with the early premil view but it is decidedly different and extreme. Classic Dispensationalism is heretical for it posits two different means of salvation; one for the Jews and one for the Gentiles, among many other errors.
Posted By: JesusFan Re: On theologies - Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:00 PM
That would be true of Scofield version, but the progressive wing seems to hold to just one means of salvation in the bible...
Posted By: Tom Re: On theologies - Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:00 AM
JesusFan
You are correct about not all Dispensationalists believe that there are two different ways of salvation. One for the Jews and one for the Gentiles. Progressives such as John MacArthur, do not hold to that view yet their are still problems with his form of Dispensationalism. You might benefit in reading the following article. http://kimriddlebarger.squarespace.com/a-reply-to-john-macarthur/

Tom

Posted By: JesusFan Re: On theologies - Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:40 PM
Just seems that there is a movement among sincere Christians in the New Covenant theology and progressive Dispy to try to reach a common ground point!
© The Highway