Donations for the month of May

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,792
Posts54,932
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,464
Tom 4,533
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,867
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 12
Pilgrim 11
John_C 1
Recent Posts
American Election
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 AM
Nouthetic Counseling
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 AM
N.T. Wright
by Pilgrim - Fri May 03, 2024 6:47 PM
The Righteousness of God - Horatius Bonar
by Pilgrim - Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum Jump to new posts
Re: American Election Pilgrim Sun May 05, 2024 11:03 AM
See above. crazyeyes
6 567 Read More
Re: Nouthetic Counseling Pilgrim Sun May 05, 2024 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Rebecca Davis
How Do We Get Godliness?
If I were to write a booklet for unsaved people called “Salvation through Bible Reading,” you might say, oh, but salvation doesn’t come through Bible reading, however good and helpful that might be. Salvation comes through faith alone in Christ alone.

This is what I say about sanctification/holiness/godliness. The so-called “Christian disciplines” of prayer, Bible reading, etc, are excellent and important things. But they are not the path to holiness any more than are the disciplines of physical exercise.

All salvation—including the salvation from daily temptations to sin and daily reliance on God that is called “holiness”—is through faith alone in Christ alone. This is where all the Scriptures point us.

This is the gospel, and it’s truly Good News. Grace—the divine inflow-outflow of God—comes through faith in Jesus Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit.

This is freedom. This is joy. This is Christianity.

After reading through Ms. Davis' critique and objection of Dr. Jay Adam's booklet Godliness Through Discipline she wrote a response to what she thinks Jay Adam's was wrong teaching; holiness via works sanctification. Too bad she didn't read more of what Jay Adam's wrote and the basis of his foundational views in regard to biblical sanctification which is known as historic 'synergistic sanctification" vs. "monergistic sanctification". Methinks Phil 2:11,12 is clear enough on this distinction: "So then, my beloved, even as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who worketh in you both to will and to work, for his good pleasure." We are monergistically predestined, regenerated, justified and glorified, but we are synergistically sanctified by the Spirit and our new nature created by the Spirit which has NO MERIT in regard to our salvation (justification). Ms. Davis thinks that "believing in Christ and His resurrection" is all that is needed to live a holy life, which indeed God demands; "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" (Matt 5:48). She takes issue with Adam's interpretation of 3 passages concerning the "old man" and claims that the old man no longer exists due to Christ's resurrection, but that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. IF that was fact, then why would Paul write for believers to "put off the old man" Eph 4:22ff. Notice all the injunctions for a believer, the person to DO this and that, i.e., stop living a certain way and begin living God's righteous and holy way IF that was already accomplished in Christ? The short of it for me is that she is not fully informed about Jay Adam's theological views re: sanctification and the work of Christ for whatever reason and her theology isn't biblically based, albeit shared by some others.
1 180 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum Jump to new posts
Re: N.T. Wright Pilgrim Fri May 03, 2024 10:47 PM
N.T. Wright was and still is a damnable heretic. Stay away from this man and all who support him. flee
1 173 Read More
What's New on The Highway website? Jump to new posts
The Righteousness of God - Horatius Bonar Pilgrim Wed May 01, 2024 11:44 AM
"It is of sin and righteousness that the apostle speaks so fully and so minutely throughout this whole Epistle. Up to the verse from which our text is taken, he has been settling this point, that man is a sinner, and needs a righteousness, else he cannot stand before God. Circumcision cannot give a righteousness; it merely tells us that a righteousness is needed, no more. The law cannot give a righteousness; it is merely a declaration of what righteousness is, and that the unrighteous shall not stand before God. It condemns, it cannot justify. By the law is the knowledge of sin, and thus every mouth is stopped, and the whole world brought in guilty before God. But notwithstanding this, there is a righteousness; a righteousness which meets the case of the unrighteous in every part; a righteousness which can reverse even the verdict of the law against the unrighteous; a righteousness on the footing of which we can stand with boldness in the presence of the holy God without either shame or fear. It is of this righteousness that he proceeds to speak in the words before us. Let us hear what he affirms regarding it."

Nice primer on what the "righteousness of God" means and it's primary application to those who are in need of it... ALL.

Read this month's article now by clicking here: The Righeousness of God

For later reading visit The Highway website and click on the "Article of the Month" logo on the main page.

In His service and grace,
0 85 Read More
Re: Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training Tom Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:50 AM
I do not need to agree with people like Peterson on everything, in order to agree
with him on others.
Especially, when he says some of the very same things on the issues of our day as many
of the pastors and theologians I follow.

Theologians like Voddie Baucham and Tom Ascol annd Sam Waldron and others who are Reformed Baptists.

Most of whom are Amillennials.
26 9,150 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
Do not cast me away when I am old chestnutmare Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:40 AM
Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone. Psalm 71:9

“I am drawing nearer and nearer to the season which the Psalmist either expected or felt. Many reasons teach the aged believer the need of this prayer. As his graces are still imperfect — so his powers are feelingly upon the decline. It was but little he could do at his best — and now less and less!

He feels other props and comforts dropping off apace. When he was young, he had warm spirits and pleasing prospects; but now, what a change of the friends in which he once delighted! In some he has found inconstancy — they have forsaken and forgotten him; and others have been successively taken away by death. They have fallen like the leaves in autumn — and now he stands almost a naked trunk. If any yet remain, he is expecting to lose them likewise — unless he is first taken from them.

Old age abates, and gradually destroys the relish of such earthly comforts as might be otherwise enjoyed. Pains, infirmities, loss of sleep, the failure of sight and hearing, and all the senses — are harbingers, like Job's messengers arriving in close succession, to tell him that death is upon his progress, and is not far away!

If youth has no security against death — then old age has no possibility of escaping the grim monster. But though friends fail, cisterns burst, gourds wither, strength declines, and death advances — if God does not forsake me — then all is well.

"Even to your old age and gray hairs — I am He who will
sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will
sustain you and I will rescue you
!" Isaiah 46:4

From Letters of John Newton
0 93 Read More
Re: David Engelsma Pilgrim Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 AM
Kuyper was a "mixed bag"... he had some good and some bad. One of the most infamous views he held was "Sphere Sovereignty" which you read a decent polemic against the whole idea here: Sphere Sovereignty and its lack of Scriptural basis, It is also my view that his view on "Common Grace" was flawed ex facie (on its face) since he admitted that 'grace' was salvific in nature but then said it can be seen as being "common", i.e., owned by everyone albeit in less than a saving reality. This he tried to justify by using the additional term, "favor", i.e., God sheds his favor on everyone. But again, God's favor has the biblical meaning of being accepted by God which also belongs to the category of salvation. Neither'grace' nor 'favor' are synonyms of beneficence which the Bible describes is how the LORD deals with humanity in general. Making the rain fall on the just and unjust is not the same as saying God's 'favor' is upon all men. Scripture is perspicuous in stating that the wrath of God rests upon all men, even the elect and that the majority of fallen mankind is destined to eternal punishment. Such declarative statements such as "Jacob have I loved but Esau have have I hated", having been God's will from eternity surely eliminate any possible idea that all men are in God's favor or are loved by God and given grace. Grace is NOT common but specific and given only to those who are predestined to eternal life due to they being united to the Lord Christ due to the sovereign work of the Spirit and preserved to the end at which time they are glorified and will live on the new earth worshipping God and Christ.
7 1,090 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
You Have Been Warned chestnutmare Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:48 PM
We have a standing rule to govern ourselves in this matter. It is this: when the same sins are found in one nation that have brought down the wrath of God on another nation, it is an evident sign of judgment at the door. For God is unchangeable, just, and holy and will not favor in one people what He has punished in another, nor will He bless in one age what He has cursed in another. It was on this very ground that the apostle warned the Corinthians by the example of the Israelites whose sins had ruined them in the wilderness. Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted (1 Corinthians 10:6). It was as if he should say, ‘Look on those dead bodies which are, as it were, cast up on the scripture-shore for a warning to you. Do not follow the same course, or you will meet the same curse.’

~John Flavel , Preparation for Suffering, Chapter 3
0 141 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum Jump to new posts
Re: 1 Cor. 6:9-11 Tom Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:00 AM
Maybe I have missed it, but I have never actually heard/read a conservative Bible believing local Church or Christian state the kind of things DiscipleEddie has said.

I have however, heard those kind of arguments from liberals, such as Vines.
It reminds me of what is commonly called ‘Progressive Christianity’.
Unfortunately, my niece after leaving an abusive power hungry Church; jumped right into
Progressive Christianity.
She was brought up in that Church as a kid and she was hurt by them. As a reaction, started attending a Progressive Church, and says she has never felt such love

Tom
14 2,545 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 51 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,514,992 Gospel truth