Donations for the month of January

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Rick Bates
Rick Bates
Charlestown, R.I. US
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,136
Posts52,735
Members953
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,888
Tom 3,928
chestnutmare 3,049
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,803
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 29
Tom 19
042Dave 15
Susan 7
RJ_ 1
Recent Posts
Continuity in Old and NT
by Pilgrim. Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 PM
25th Anniversary
by chestnutmare. Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:47 AM
Did Trump Throw Pence under the Bus?
by Pilgrim. Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:50 PM
Roman Catholicism and salvation
by 042Dave. Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:40 AM
Is man required to "choose" in order to be saved?
by 042Dave. Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:35 AM
Free Will compatible with Sovereignty
by 042Dave. Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:16 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Theology Discussion Forum
Yesterday at 07:33 PM
I have already written to you that I will not get involved in any further 'debates' on baptism. There are myriad discussions/threads on this board that expand years of such discussions. And very few resulted in anything positive. This is not to be understood as a ban on such discussions on this board. nope What I am clearly saying is that "I" personally will not entertain any such discussions.

Now, to answer your question... I suspect due to your misunderstanding or lack of sufficient knowledge concerning the "covenant of grace" and/or covenant theology in general and more than likely a presupposition that the "NEW Covenant" is basically a different covenant you do not comprehend the continuity involved. shrug Since I firmly believe that baptism has superseded circumcision as the "sign of the covenant", it must be the case that every Jew that infant and children assumed that this "sign" would still include them. In fact, it would have been expected that such a radical change to exclude infants and children from receiving the covenant sign would are require a clear command and explanation of such a change. No such command is to be found anywhere in the NT. The emphasis in the NT is NOT the exclusion of covenant children but rather upon the inclusion of Gentiles into the covenant, focusing upon, as should be expected, upon the conversion of adults. The NT (covenant) is not one of EXclusion but of INclusion; Gentiles and females vs. Jews and males. The family structure is not abrogated but affirmed and strengthened as well and the universality and spirtuality of the New Covenant.

I am bowing out of this discussion but others, if there is any interest may continue. grin
153 964,214 Read More
Quotes
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:31 PM
It befits the servants of God in every age to observe the public events of their own day and to compare them with the predictions of unfulfilled prophecy. There is nothing commendable in an ignorant indifference to contemporary history. The true Christian should rather watch the career of governments and nations with a jealous watchfulness and hail with gladness the slightest indication of the day of the Lord being at hand. The Christian who cannot see the hand of God in history, and does not believe in the gradual movement of all kingdoms towards the final subjection of all things to Christ is as blind as the Jew!

~ J.C. Ryle (from his commentary on Luke, Chapter 12)
0 39 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:47 PM
Happy 25th Anniversary to The Highway!

This is our 25th year online. With the distractions of current events, we forgot to acknowledge and celebrate 25 years of service here on The Highway on January 6th. We thank the Lord for this opportunity and means to reach the saints throughout the world and provide means for growth in their walk with the Lord.

May the Lord glorify His holy Name and use The Highway for the upbuilding and strengthening of His saints.

And a highway shall be there; and a road, And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, But it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road, although a fool, Shall not go astray. (Isaiah 35:8)
0 92 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:50 AM
I believe that there is more than ample proof to show that there was deep corruption and fraudulence in the election. No court, as far as I know, allowed that evidence to be presented. The cases brought before every court, including SCOTUS were refused a hearing. So, the reports (fake news) claim that every court ruled against them. The truth is, they refused to hear them. There are 1000's upon 1000's of signed affidavits from people who worked in polling places who personally witnessed the fraud. There are videos that clearly show the fraudulence. And just today, we received a private communication that is more than reliable that there is a "whistleblower" who has come forth and has reported that the voting machines in the critical states were indeed used to change votes from Trump to Biden... and this was done overseas. This person has reportedly agreed to testify as to these facts.

Secondly, I have no clue why Pence would deny the evidence which has been accumulated. Surely, he would be privy to this fact. scratch1

Lastly, at this point, I cannot foresee the election overturned due to the unconscionable and widespread effort to completely discredit and destroy Donald J. Trump. Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, one of the most corrupt Democrats and hater of Trump has publicly stated that she plans on starting impeachment proceedings (again) against President Trump for sedition and tyranny, which is exactly what the Demonacrats have been guilty of for years, and particularly even before but especially after the 2016 election. Relatively speaking, this is a battle between 'good and evil' and the worst, I fear, is yet to come.

Addendum: It has also come to my attention that there is proof that the breaching of the White House was a choreographed plan by the Left with many members of Antifa identified on video cameras. Doubtless, there were a few Trump supporters who were drawn into the act(s) and they are no less guilty. But Trump indisputably did nor said anything to incite any type of act nor violence. This again is pure FAKE NEWS and deliberate lies from the Left, the media and other radical sources. The hypocrisy is beyond comprehension for one need only to go back a few months ago when Antifa, BLM and their duped pawns burned down buildings, cities, took over Seattle and Portland and assassinated police officers. And leftist governors, mayors and Democrat politicians turned a blind eye and in some cases, applauded the riots, looting and murders claiming they were justified to "protest".

And, I am convinced that all this is God's rightful judgment upon this once great nation who has turned its back on even acknowledging there is a good, never mind blaspheming and ridiculing the one true GOD. The visible church is much responsible for forsaking what they claim they once believed, casting aside the Word of God, and joining with the world and its vain philosophies and immorality. What does the sovereign LORD of the nations have planned for not only the United States, but the world in the coming days? Only He knows for He has ordained all things for His glory and for the purging and sanctifying of Christ's true Church, those for whom He secured redemption and reconciliation through the shedding of His blood and then clothing them in white raiment, His perfect righteousness, to the glory of the Father.
8 526 Read More
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:40 AM
If the Reformers and Protestants were right, the Papacy is the Antichrist (counterfeit Christ). And this would also mean that Catholics embrace a counterfeit Christianity that cannot save. In fact, any "free will" salvation is no different from theirs, resting on the same principles.
159 1,249,591 Read More
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:35 AM
People who must "choose" to believe don't believe but force themselves to give mental assent. Salvation is an experience that causes you to believe. Just as sitting in a chair needs no decision to believe that you are.

Faith (evidence, substance) is a fruit of the Holy Spirit that causes saved people to believe.
232 2,159,156 Read More
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:16 AM
Sorry. But for your info, scripture teaches degrees of suffering in hell as it does degrees of reward in heaven. Here's a couple of passages to consider; There will be degrees of punishment Mk 12:40 pp Lk 20:47 See also Mt 11:22,24; Lk 12:47-48

Manser, M. H. (2009). Dictionary of Bible Themes: The Accessible and Comprehensive Tool for Topical Studies. London: Martin Manser.
8 546 Read More
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:48 PM
Jesus preached Amillennialism in his gospel of the Kingdom. So the best place to grasp a deeper understanding is in a search of the 4 gospels for the characteristics of the Kingdom. It is one reason why the Pharisees rejected him. They expected the physical Millennial Kingdom based on a literal reading of the Kingdom Prophecies. Many do the same today.

But a physical kingdom did not show when Daniel said it would. It was instead a spiritual and hidden from all but the born-again.

So it remains hidden to all but the born-again even today.

Peter preaches the Amillennial gospel of the Kingdom at Pentecost where we can glean the details.
7 1,515 Read More
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:08 PM
Thanks. I agree.
121 867,038 Read More
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:10 PM
I see it more as a symbolic way to spot the non-elect. Not that it is possible for the elect to do this.
203 1,682,779 Read More
ExCharisma
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:50 AM
If you study Acts you will find that only the Apostles had the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, which included the Charismatic gifts. Called the signs of an Apostle. They alone spoke in tongues along with those they laid their hands on. Peter was present at the gentile outpouring linking him to that event.

The first clue that today's gifts are fraudulent comes from Paul when he says understanding what is said edifies. He then says those who speak in tongues edify themselves. This can only mean they understood what they were saying. None of today's "tongue speakers" know what they are saying.
4 11,873 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:19 AM
Originally Posted by Tom

Strong Statement

Tom

But, strong or not... it is true and needed to be said, IMO. It's about time someone has the courage to speak the truth, at least in defense of Christ and His "Bride". BigThumbUp
2 265 Read More
Open Forum
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:56 PM
Jump to new posts Re: TULIP [by Tom]
Pilgrim

Thanks, the Canons of Dordt were one of the documents I referred to and I did not get a response. Still trying to understand where they are coming from in thinking what I said about "irresistible grace" supports "free will". Funny thing though, I suspect that because I did not actually mention TULIP, they did not recognize me talking about "irresistible grace".

Tom
2 264 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:39 PM
It was much due to Susan, a member here in asking about an issue concerning the Trinity that motivated me to choose Dr. Bavinck's article, "The Divine Trinity" for this month's new year Article of the Month. It is one of major pillars of truth that upholds the biblical Christian faith.... thank you, Susan! grin

Bavinck concludes his article with the following words which is a nice summary of all that he wrote beforehand:

Thus the confession of the trinity is the sum of the Christian religion. Without it neither the creation nor the redemption nor the sanctification can be purely maintained.

Every departure from this confession leads to error in the other heads of doctrine, just as a mistaken representation of the articles of faith can be traced back to a misconception of the doctrine of the trinity. We can truly proclaim the mighty works of God only when we recognize and confess them as the one great work of Father, Son, and Spirit.

In the love of the Father, the grace of the Son, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit is contained the whole salvation of men.

This is NOT a dry, academic, philosophical, speculative article on the doctrine of God. nope Rather, it is one that is more pastoral in nature and design through seeking truth of God's own self-revelation found in Scripture. And, then seeing how this doctrinal truth applies to every aspect of life for the Christian. I am confident that you will be blessed and it will be instrumental in your growth into the image of the Lord Christ.

Rom 12:2 "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Colossians 1:9-23 (ASV) "9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard [it], do not cease to pray and make request for you, that ye may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, 10 to walk worthily of the Lord unto all pleasing, bearing fruit in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; 11 strengthened with all power, according to the might of his glory, unto all patience and longsuffering with joy; 12 giving thanks unto the Father, who made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light; 13 who delivered us out of the power of darkness, and translated us into the kingdom of the Son of his love; 14 in whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins: 15 who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 for in him were all things created, in the heavens and upon the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and unto him; 17 and he is before all things, and in him all things consist. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. 19 For it was the good pleasure [of the Father] that in him should all the fulness dwell; 20 and through him to reconcile all things unto himself, having made peace through the blood of his cross; through him, [I say], whether things upon the earth, or things in the heavens. 21 And you, being in time past alienated and enemies in your mind in your evil works, 22 yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and without blemish and unreproveable before him: 23 if so be that ye continue in the faith, grounded and stedfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel which ye heard, which was preached in all creation under heaven; whereof I Paul was made a minister."

You can go immediately to this month's article by clicking here: The Divine Trinity.

Or, to read it at a more convenient time, just visit The Highway website and click on the "Article of the Month" logo. There you will find not only this month's article but all past Articles of the Month.

In His service and grace,
0 117 Read More
Quotes
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:03 PM
Our sea may sometimes be stormy, but we have an infallible Pilot, and shall infallibly gain our port

“I heartily sympathize with you in your complaints, but I see you in safe hands. The Lord loves you, and will take care of you.

He who raises the dead can revive your spirits when you are cast down. He who sets bounds to the sea, and says ‘Hither to shalt thou come, and no further,’ can limit and moderate that gloom which sometimes distresses you.
He knows why He permits you to be thus exercised. I cannot assign the reasons, but I am sure they are worthy of His wisdom and love, and that you will hereafter see and say, ‘He has done all things well.’

If I was as wise as your physician, I might say a great deal about your melancholy complexion; but I love not to puzzle myself with second causes, while the First Cause is at hand, which sufficiently accounts for every phenomenon in a believer’s experience. Your constitution, your situation, your temper, your distemper, all that is either comfortable or painful in your lot, is of His appointment.

The hairs of your head are all numbered; the same power which produced the planet Jupiter, is necessary to the production of a single hair; nor can one of them fall to the ground without His notice, any more than the stars can fall from their orbits. In providence, no less than in creation, He is maximus in minimis (‘the greatest in the smallest’).

Therefore, fear not, only believe. Our sea may sometimes be stormy; but we have an infallible Pilot, and shall infallibly gain our port.

~ John Newton.
0 87 Read More
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:59 PM
Pilgrim

I believe he was pretty clear he was not a "hyper-Calvinist", in the quote I gave you.

He does not act in their lives to make them do evil, of course, but He does positively harden them. "Hardens" is a present, active, indicative verb in Romans 9, and there is no reason to assume it pertains to just some reprobates.

I did not say this earlier, because I did not think it was relative to this discussion. He actually called himself a "high Calvinist"; though he also said he does not believe these terms are helpful.
He also said he agrees with the Supralapsarian view of James White.

I did do some research into what James White believes and from what I read, he calls himself a modified Supralapsarian, similar to the views held by Robert Reymond.

Tom
4 442 Read More
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:52 PM
Quickly, the lady in the class is correct. The teacher's response is erroneous. Why? Man was created with both body and soul. The separation of the soul from the body is a temporary anomaly until the eschaton where the souls of the saints will be rejoined to their new spiritual body. The saints in heaven know this too for they cry out, Revelation 6:10 (KJV) "10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?" And, Romans 8:20-23 (ASV) "20 For the creation was subjected to vanity, not of its own will, but by reason of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the liberty of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 23 And not only so, but ourselves also, who have the first-fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for [our] adoption, [to wit], the redemption of our body."

The name for the human nature of the incarnate Christ, i.e., Jesus, wasn't given to Him until His inception (cf. Matt 1:21-25). God the Son wasn't joined to the human Jesus before the incarnation. The soul belongs to humans and is NEVER joined to deity. This is a perfect example of the "confusion of the two natures":

Therefore, following the holy fathers, we all with one accord teach men to acknowledge one and the same Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, at once complete in Godhead and complete in manhood, truly God and truly man, consisting also of a reasonable soul and body; of one substance with the Father as regards his Godhead, and at the same time of one substance with us as regards his manhood; like us in all respects, apart from sin; as regards his Godhead, begotten of the Father before the ages, but yet as regards his manhood begotten, for us men and for our salvation, of Mary the Virgin, the God-bearer; one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, recognized in two natures, without confusion, without change, without division, without separation; the distinction of natures being in no way annulled by the union, but rather the characteristics of each nature being preserved and coming together to form one person and subsistence, not as parted or separated into two persons, but one and the same Son and Only-begotten God the Word, Lord Jesus Christ; even as the prophets from earliest times spoke of him, and our Lord Jesus Christ himself taught us, and the creed of the fathers has handed down to us.

I would have to guess that this teacher would also reject the Creed of Chalcedon too?
4 404 Read More
Open Forum
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:02 PM
Dr. Paul Elliott has made available a series of articles on the Challenges to the 21st-Century Church. The first three are currently available and are accessible from the links below. I have found them very interesting and insightful. As with all non-biblical writings... read with discernment. grin

Challenges to the 21st-Century Church: Everything Old Is New Again
http://www.teachingtheword.org/apps/articles/?view=post&blogid=5449&articleid=147871

Challenges to the 21st-Century Church: Radical Environmentalism
http://www.teachingtheword.org/apps/articles/?view=post&columnid=5449&articleid=148028

Challenges to the 21st-Century Church: The So-Called LGBT Agenda
http://www.teachingtheword.org/apps/articles/?view=post&columnid=5449&articleid=148078
0 117 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tom

https://reformedreader.wordpress.com/2017/06/22/the-danger-of-biblicism/ This particular article although does not mention “Theonomy”. It does mention something that is common in those circles. I am talking about an over emphasis of “special revelation” at the expense of “general revelation”

I would like to see one or more examples of "an over emphasis of 'special revelation' at the expense of 'general revelation'."
3 403 Read More
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:59 PM
There are times that someone reads what someone else has written on a subject and misunderstands what they wrote. And upon that misunderstanding they voice an objection and strongly disagree. Now, I do NOT think that Jonathan Edwards nor Robert L. Dabney are infallible. But I do know personally, that those men's writings are not the easiest to comprehend.... know what I mean? grin

Now, with the possibility that this teacher isn't understanding what he read (I suspect he is more influenced in his opinion by the critics of either/both of those men which are floating around the Web), there is still the serious issue in his rejection of the Nicene Creed and perhaps the Athanasian Creed as well. Orthodox Christianity (not referring to Greek Orthodox or Russian Orthodox) has overwhelmingly gave a thumbs up to those creeds as being biblically sound. And personally, my reading of those creeds, agrees with that conclusion.
6 574 Read More
Quotes
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:42 PM

We live to fly as contrite penitents to Your extended arms!
We know that You will not cast us off--for Jesus brings us near.
You will not condemn us--for Your dear Son died in our place.
You will not mark the mountains upon mountains of our sins--for the Savior has removed them all.
His precious blood has washed out every crimson stain!
Christ's spotless robe of righteousness, covers all our deformities! We put it on by the hand of faith--and we rejoice that we are lovely in His precious loveliness, and beauteous in His matchless beauty.

Open widely the eyes of our faith, that we may see all our justly merited curse, expended on the faultless head of our precious sin-atoning Savior, and the sword of Divine justice buried in His sinless heart!

We come to You . . .
clinging to His cross,
sheltered by His side,
hidden in His wounds,
cleansed in His blood,
covered by His spotless robe,
beautified in His salvation!
0 125 Read More
Devotional
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:35 PM

I Look Not Back

I look not back; God knows the fruitless efforts,
The wasted hours, the sinning, the regrets.
I leave them all with Him who blots the record,
And graciously forgives, and then forgets.

I look not forward; God sees all the future,
The road that, short or long, will lead me home,
And He will face with me its every trial,
And bear for me the burdens that may come.

I look not round me; then would fears assail me,
So wild the tumult of earth's restless seas,
So dark the world, so filled with woe and evil,
So vain the hope of comfort and of ease.

I look not inward; that would make me wretched;
For I have naught on which to stay my trust.
Nothing I see save failures and shortcomings,
And weak endeavors, crumbling into dust.

But I look up--into the face of Jesus,
For there my heart can rest, my fears are stilled;
And there is joy, and love, and light for darkness,
And perfect peace, and every hope fulfilled.

By, Annie Johnson Flint
0 144 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:18 PM
Didn't realize you gave an example! bingo
3 515 Read More
Devotional
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:39 PM
Pretty good for an Arminian.

Tom
1 280 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:35 AM
This discussion is a great reminder of if not for the grace of God there go I. May He grant new life, repentance, and faith to those whom the devil has ensnared in his web of deceit.
3 764 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 64 guests, and 112 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
042Dave, Lotero, tomatoetom, tulsaep, PaulOR
953 Registered Users
Shout Box
January
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
1,192,870 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.047s Queries: 6 (0.005s) Memory: 2.5597 MB (Peak: 2.8249 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2021-01-16 08:17:04 UTC