Donations for the month of October

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,095
Posts52,597
Members949
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,842
Tom 3,882
chestnutmare 3,042
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,803
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 24
Pilgrim 20
John_C 3
Recent Posts
Fault Lines in American Evangelicalism
by Tom. Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:13 PM
Steep, Craggy, and Beset With Foes ~ Newman Hall
by Rick Bates. Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:56 AM
Steep, Craggy, and Beset With Foes ~ Newman Hall
by Rick Bates. Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:51 AM
Trump on Abortion
by Pilgrim. Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:46 PM
Real Repentance ~ Charles Spurgeon
by Rick Bates. Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:52 AM
Dispensationalist at Work
by Pilgrim. Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:54 PM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:13 PM
I thought some here might be interested in what is happening in 1689 Reformed Circles.

I am finding more and more, that there is a big difference between those who call themselves Calvinist Baptists and those who call themselves Reformed Baptists and those lines are becoming greater.

Watch the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsROYzaC_hE

Tom

0 40 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:56 PM
Steep, Craggy, and Beset With Foes!

(Newman Hall, 1816-1902)

There are many variations in the Christian's path. Sometimes it is smooth and flowery, with sunny slopes, and sylvan shades, and prospects which enter the soul with loveliness. There are seasons when no doubts perplex the spirit, and when our circumstances in life are in harmony with duty, so that the right path is an easy path.

But this is the exception,

Often the road is steep, craggy, and beset with foes! Sometimes it is a "Hill Difficulty" throughout, and Apollyon stretches himself across the way aiming his fiery darts at the pilgrim. Then some bypath attracts us by its pleasantness, while Satan whispers that a thorny and painful road, cannot be the true one.

But Jesus never promised to lead us only in smooth places. It is not necessary that we should always rejoice--but it is necessary that we always follow. Wherever He goes, rough or smooth--there we also must go.

"My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish--ever! No one will snatch them out of My hand!" John 10:27-28
0 42 Read More
Devotional
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:51 PM

Steep, Craggy, and Beset With Foes!

(Newman Hall, 1816-1902)

There are many variations in the Christian's path. Sometimes it is smooth and flowery, with sunny slopes, and sylvan shades, and prospects which enter the soul with loveliness. There are seasons when no doubts perplex the spirit, and when our circumstances in life are in harmony with duty, so that the right path is an easy path.

But this is the exception,

Often the road is steep, craggy, and beset with foes! Sometimes it is a "Hill Difficulty" throughout, and Apollyon stretches himself across the way aiming his fiery darts at the pilgrim. Then some bypath attracts us by its pleasantness, while Satan whispers that a thorny and painful road, cannot be the true one.

But Jesus never promised to lead us only in smooth places. It is not necessary that we should always rejoice--but it is necessary that we always follow. Wherever He goes, rough or smooth--there we also must go.

"My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish--ever! No one will snatch them out of My hand!" John 10:27-28
0 36 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:46 PM
1. Finding Trump "guilty" of what a RINO congress did or did not do is hardly a cogent nor fair charge. There were MANY things Trump wanted to accomplish but was unable to do because the RINO congress refused to pass the legislation or even come up with legislation. Most of what Trump has been able to do, and the list is extensive, was due to his executive orders or the shakey Senate getting behind him.

2. Re: "Roe vs Wade" was horribly wrong, which I have stated here on myriad occasions. The then SCOTUS legislated law rather than interpret the Constitution. Most judges refuse to overturn what their 'collegues' have done and set precedence. However, that court did leave open the door for further rulings since it said that it had not determined when life began. There are several individuals/groups who have hopes of presenting to the new SCOTUS a case on that very issue and that would be a good opportunity to at least change the current illegally created 'Roe vs Wade' decision. From what I have been able to determine, Trump fully supports those behind the petition.

3. Sounds like the typical rhetoric of the "Never Trumpers". In their estimation, there is absolutely NOTHING he could say or do that they would be commendable.

4. Trumps personal beliefs on abortion are not as conservative as mine or those of like mind. But he is most certainly not a defender of Planned Parenthood, nor does he want the government to fund that murderous group.

Just another example of when to simply ignore such people and walk away quietly leaving them to their own musings.
1 70 Read More
Devotional
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:52 PM
Pilgrim,
You make a great point in your reply. I find in my studying, there seems to be two camps that though they seek to make a clear delineation of the " truth ", one side seems to lean more towards a hard line explanation of God's word, while the other side leans more towards a more grace seasoned explanation of God's word. For example, you have mentioned that J.C. Philpot leans hard towards hypercalvinism, to which I agree, while I find men like Octavious Winslow, Thomas Boston, etc, lean more towards a grace seasoned message. When I feel despondent with guilt I read writings by more devotional and experiential preachers, which helps to refocus my standing in Christ. The section of scripture you quoted from Romans 8 is so encouraging. I read that John Owen had a major struggle with acceptance of God's forgiveness for quite a time. Martin Luther struggled the same way. Thank you for sharing a reply. " Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. " Jude 24, 25 ( ESV )
2 252 Read More
Open Forum
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:54 PM
Okay, so where is the PROOF in his tirade that supports a pre-trib rapture?????? scratch1 It doesn't make any difference whatsoever when this view originated. What matters is what Scripture says. All the hermeneutical gymnastics in the world can't make a case for the pre-trib pre-mil view. Even on The Highway, in the eschatology section of "Calvinism and the Reformed Faith", there are more than ample arguments which destroy classic Dispensationalism.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with this person on this subject. igiveup
1 85 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:57 AM
Pilgrim

Avoid philosophers at all costs.

That reminds me of a discussion a friend and I had today about WLC. He told me that WLC is "more committed to being philosophical than theological."

I told my friend that the way I see it, you must be grounded in theology to do philosophy. He said: "WLC, has explicitly said the exact opposite."

All that to say I agree with you.

Tom
6 626 Read More
Open Forum
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:49 PM
Well, you missed the point, unfortunately. Our (U.S.) Constitution does not forbid the government; local, state or federal from issuing edicts that everyone must wear a mask, regardless of the fact that SCIENCE has shown most of those used are ineffective. So, if your city/town or state or your buffoon Prime Minister requires masks be worn, then you should wear one in public. On the other issue, I brought in man-made Climate Change to simply illustrate the disagreement that exists among the "experts" and how the Leftists stifle those who have concluded contrary to them on this and nearly every other issue. Thus, like a 'banana republic' the populace hears mostly the Left's opinion about whatever the topic is along with the harsh denigration of those who hold to another opinion. Soooooo, like good little sheep who are so ill informed about facts whatever their "leaders" say, it is taken as truth.

No pity party about your possibly losing your job if you don't wear a mask..... igiveup However, if the government demands that all assembly by those who choose to worship God is illegal, then there is no room for bowing to the governmental 'gods', for the one true God DEMANDS that you obey HIM and not them.

Acts 4:15-20 (ASV) 15 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves, 16 saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been wrought through them, is manifest to all that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it. 17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name. 18 And they called them, and charged them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it is right in the sight of God to hearken unto you rather than unto God, judge ye: 20 for we cannot but speak the things which we saw and heard.

Remember Paul's penetrating words, "Yea, and all that would live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." 2Tim 3:12. Put in the vernacular, these are situations when one's professed faith are put to the test... where the rubber meets the road. [Linked Image]
7 737 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:31 PM
Excellent article. Thanks for posting.
1 218 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:47 AM
Of course I agree that if the Democrats get in the freedoms we have will take a nose dive.
That really was not the reason I posted this though.

Tom
5 496 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:07 PM

"Godly sorrow worketh repentance."-2 Corinthians 7:10
Genuine, spiritual mourning for sin is the work of the Spirit of God. Repentance is too choice a flower to grow in nature's garden. Pearls grow naturally in oysters, but penitence never shows itself in sinners except divine grace works it in them. If thou hast one particle of real hatred for sin, God must have given it thee, for human nature's thorns never produced a single fig. "That which is born of the flesh is flesh."
True repentance has a distinct reference to the Saviour. When we repent of sin, we must have one eye upon sin and another upon the cross, or it will be better still if we fix both our eyes upon Christ and see our transgressions only, in the light of His love.
True sorrow for sin is eminently practical. No man may say he hates sin, if he lives in it. Repentance makes us see the evil of sin, not merely as a theory, but experimentally-as a burnt child dreads fire. We shall be as much afraid of it, as a man who has lately been stopped and robbed is afraid of the thief upon the highway; and we shall shun it-shun it in everything-not in great things only, but in little things, as men shun little vipers as well as great snakes. True mourning for sin will make us very jealous over our tongue, lest it should say a wrong word; we shall be very watchful over our daily actions, lest in anything we offend, and each night we shall close the day with painful confessions of shortcoming, and each morning awaken with anxious prayers, that this day God would hold us up that we may not sin against Him.
Sincere repentance is continual. Believers repent until their dying day. This dropping well is not intermittent. Every other sorrow yields to time, but this dear sorrow grows with our growth, and it is so sweet a bitter, that we thank God we are permitted to enjoy and to suffer it until we enter our eternal rest.
0 139 Read More
Open Forum
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:28 AM
Originally Posted by Tom
Sorry, I am not following you're reasoning.

Tom

Trying to say

person A made 20,000 last year, but made 30,000 this year.
person B made 1,000,000 last year, but made 1,500,000 this year

In using actual money (income), person A gain in money
In using a percentage of money, person A percentage is less.

So, person A could be making 10,000 more than last year, but some will say he is more poorer because of what person B made.

Using the same rationale that some uses:

person A made 5,000 less this year than last year, but if person B made 250,000 less than last year, person A would have gain in wealth (even though with less income).
4 634 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tom
Would I be correct to say (although you did not use the word "revolution"), that what you said means that in some situations, a revolution would be ok according to Scripture and the Constitution of the United States?

yep The Second Amendment is the article which was included to protect all other freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution. The framers had gone through a revolution which began as political, then social and then finally as is always the case, the disarming of the citizenry so as to have total control, aka: no individual freedoms; only given by government permission. The Second Amendment prevents the government from infringing upon the God-given right of each and every citizen of the United States to keep and bear arms for self-defense against all aggressors, including the government of the United States should it turn tyrannical, which is at this point in history on the brink of doing so. A revolution is a revolt against tyranny, whether from without; foreign or within, domestic. There are numerous biblical passages which are foundational to what the founding fathers included in the Bill or Rights.

Here is a website with many quotes from those men who founded the United States of America which clearly show the true meaning and intent of the Second Amendment of the Constitution: Gun Quotations of the Founding Fathers. And if you are truly interested in the original intent of the founding fathers in regard to the Second Amendment... and the Fourteenth Amendment, see here: WHAT THE FRAMERS INTENDED: A LINGUISTIC ANALYSIS OF THE RIGHT TO "BEAR ARMS".

An armed revolution is hardly what the vast majority of citizens desire. But if that be the necessary means in order to preserve the individual rights and freedoms of this country, it shall be as it was in the beginning.
3 478 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:15 PM
Pilgrim if I may, I would like to add a bit that may or may not be relevant to the discussion.

I will say one thing about this debate, is although it has not made me change my mind.
It has made me look into the matter a little further.
I looked into what if anything other theologians such as RC Sproul said about the long ending of Mark 16.
What really stood out to me, in particular with what Sproul said is that the long ending really just reiterated what was said earlier.
It does not change any particular doctrine.
With that in mind, although I favour the long ending. Seeing it really does not change anything in the passage. I believe this getís overblown by many.
If however, adding the longer ending changed anything, I would took at the matter further.

Tom
5 731 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:08 AM
John, I thought I would add a link that I thought might be helpful in dealing with Woke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDuhs3zajGE

Tom
4 1,294 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 62 guests, and 30 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulOR, godrulez, Wood, David Clarke, CharlieFry
949 Registered Users
Shout Box
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
Dave U.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,151,164 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.038s Queries: 6 (0.004s) Memory: 2.4659 MB (Peak: 2.6632 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2020-10-31 15:50:44 UTC