Donations for the month of August

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,232
Posts53,057
Members962
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,986
Tom 3,999
chestnutmare 3,064
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,814
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 16
Tom 9
Robin 7
John_C 2
Recent Posts
"Holiness - Introduction" by J.C. Ryle
by Pilgrim. Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:42 AM
The New Birth ~ William Nicholson 1862
by Fred B. Smith. Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:21 AM
Mandatory Vaccines
by Pilgrim. Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:13 PM
Lying to save a life
by Pilgrim. Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:46 PM
The Imperativeness of the New Birth ~ A.W. Pink
by Rick Bates. Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:48 PM
What if...
by Pilgrim. Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:25 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Quotes
Yesterday at 10:47 PM
We all profess that we are bound for Heaven, immortality and glory. But is there any evidence that we really desire to go there if all our thoughts are consumed about the trifles of this world, which we must leave behind us — and we have only occasional thoughts of things above?
~ John Owen
0 6 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:42 AM
I have had a deep conviction for many years that practical holiness and entire self-consecration to God are not sufficiently attended to by modern Christians in this country. Politics, or controversy, or party spirit, or worldliness, have eaten out the heart of lively piety in too many of us. The subject of personal godliness has fallen sadly into the background. The standard of living has become painfully low in many quarters. The immense importance of “adorning the doctrine of God our Saviour” (Titus ii. 10), and making it lovely and beautiful by our daily habits and tempers, has been far too much overlooked. Worldly people sometimes complain with reason that “religious” persons, so-called, are not so amiable and unselfish and good-natured as others who make no profession of religion. Yet sanctification, in its place and proportion, is quite as important as justification. Sound Protestant and Evangelical doctrine is useless if it is not accompanied by a holy life. It is worse than useless: it does positive harm. It is despised by keen-sighted and shrewd men of the world, as an unreal and hollow thing, and brings religion into contempt. It is my firm impression that we want a thorough revival about Scriptural holiness, and I am deeply thankful that attention is being directed to the point.

The above is just a smidgeon of the Introduction of Bishop J.C. Ryle's famous (or infamous, depending upon where you stand) book Holiness. And that Introduction is what comprises this month's Article of the Month. In my view, and in the view of myriad others, this book qualifies for the "MUST READ" title among the many books that men have written. If you haven't read Holiness to this point in your life, then it is my hope that after reading the Introduction, you will be motivated to get yourself a copy and do so. Is it perfect? Of course not! But what book that man, without the Holy Spirit divinely directing every jot and tittle is without error?... None! Oh yes, but we do have such a book that has been divinely inspired and is absent of any error and is wholly true in its entirety don't we. grin Nevertheless, Holiness is much deserved to be read with your Bible as your guide. Why?

Leviticus 20:7 (KJV) 7 Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I [am] the LORD your God.

1 Peter 1:15 (KJV) 15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

1 Peter 1:16 (KJV) 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Ephesians 1:3-6 (ASV) 3 Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly [places] in Christ: 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blemish before him in love: 5 having foreordained us unto adoption as sons through Jesus Christ unto himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 to the praise of the glory of his grace, which he freely bestowed on us in the Beloved:

Romans 12:1 (KJV) 1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.

James 2:17-20 (ASV) 17 Even so faith, if it have not works, is dead in itself. 18 Yea, a man will say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith apart from [thy] works, and I by my works will show thee [my] faith. 19 Thou believest that God is one; thou doest well: the demons also believe, and shudder. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith apart from works is barren?

Read this month's article now by clicking here: Holiness by J.C. Ryle

Or, as it is for all Articles of the Month, for later reading, visit The Highway website scroll down the page and click on the "Article of the Month" logo.

In His service and grace,
0 25 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:21 AM
Good summary.
1 70 Read More
Open Forum
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:13 PM
Order 66, also known as Clone Protocol 66, was a top secret order identifying all Jedi as traitors to the Galactic Republic and, therefore, subject to summary execution by the Grand Army of the Republic. ... In secret, Order 66 was the means by which the Sith intended to bring about the long-awaited fall of the Jedi Order.
9 470 Read More
Open Forum
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tom

What I am dealing with is Reformed Christians who
tell me that in the case where if we do not lie, it will probably result in the murder of someone.

They told me that no matter how one slices it, if I did not lie
I would be complicit in the murder of someone.

And that view is the paradigm of "Situation Ethics" in which XXXX (insert your circumstance here) overrides the authority of Scripture. In fact, Joseph Fletcher who popularized "Situation Ethics" used a similar paradigm to discredit Christians who followed the law of God as their rule of life. Everyone is prone to sin but it is sin nevertheless and there are consequences to sinning, either temporally or eternally or both. Interestingly, the same is true to those who desire and strive to do what is right. "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." (2Tim 3:12) And, ironically, some of the most harsh persecutions come from those who profess to be believers against those who strive to live a godly life. rolleyes2
5 223 Read More
Quotes
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:51 PM

Arthur Pink: "Corrupt Christianity is more offensive to Christ than open infidelity!"
0 40 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:48 PM

"You must be born again!" John 3:7

The imperativeness of the new birth is evident from the fact that man is a fallen creature. Originally he was made in the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:26), fitted to enjoy fellowship with Him. But upon his apostasy, he . . .
was alienated from his Maker,
became unsuited unto the Holy One,
and fled from Him.

The natural man is . . .
totally depraved,
a slave of Satan,
dead in sin,
and, therefore, it is no marvel that he needs to be born again.

He is devoid of . . .
any love to God,
any delight in Him,
any relish for heavenly things,
any ability to perform spiritual acts.

A miracle of grace, then, must be wrought upon him before he is qualified to enter the Father's house. Heaven is a prepared place for a prepared people--for those who have been made "fit to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light" (Colossians 1:12), for without holiness no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14).

An unregenerated person would be entirely out of harmony with the ineffable purity of the celestial courts, and could no more enjoy their company and activities, than could a deaf man enjoy an oratorio, or a blind man enjoy the beauties of an exquisite sunset. A spiritual kingdom requires a spiritual nature, and in order to the acquisition of that, the natural man must be regenerated--divinely regenerated, for the creature can no more quicken himself than he could give himself a natural being.

Regeneration is no . . .
mere outward reformation,
process of education, or
even religious cultivation.
No, it consists of a radical change of heart and transformation of character--the communication of a gracious and holy principle, producing new desires, new capacities, and a new life. Then, do not marvel that in order thereto, a man must be born from above.
0 71 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:25 AM
Perhaps the definition of a "credible profession of faith" is not quite biblical and consequently unbelievers are admitted into membership. scratchchin After all, got to get people into the church to pay the bills, right? evilgrin
12 1,064 Read More
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:40 AM
Augustine had his nemeses too, e.g., Pelagius who epitomized the Devil himself whose hatred of Soli Gratia is inestimable for it displays the infinite mercy and grace of God toward His creation.
1 175 Read More
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by John_C
Would someone be considered to be a covenant child if both parents were unbelievers, but they were baptized in a Reformed church?

No... how could that be? What "covenant" would the child be associated with? It couldn't be the Covenant of Grace since neither parent is personally and intimately part of it. And what benefits would that child be privileged to since neither parent would nor is able to convey from their hearts the necessity of being reconciled to God through Christ Jesus through repentance and faith? Their prayers would not be heard since they are not God's adopted children and are living in rebellious sin before a God they hate. What "Reformed" church would ever baptize a child of unbelieving parents? scratch1
1 144 Read More
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:49 PM
AMEN!
3 239 Read More
Devotional
Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:24 PM

"Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will declare what He has done for my soul!" Psalm 66:16

No one word can fully express all that God has done for my soul, though in general it may be described as saved. Saved! Ah, that is a grand word worthy of being written in letters of gold! A saved soul includes many things--I can only mention them:

1. A saved soul is a God-pardoned soul. All its sins are forgiven, and its iniquities are drowned in that deluge of pardoning love that rises high above the topmost peaks of all its mountain sins!

2. A saved soul is a God-reconciled soul. Once at enmity, God and the sinner are now at peace. All differences are at an end. The prodigal sinner has been embraced and kissed by the father. The rebel has thrown down his weapons, and bent his knee to the Monarch--and the Monarch has raised him up, and with a smile of love, has put him among His children. If I may so express it, God and the sinner have met and shaken hands beneath the shadow of the cross! They are at at-one-ment there.

3. A saved soul is also a sin-delivered soul. This is something more than pardon, or reconciliation. It is a higher blessing. Pardon remits the punishment of sin, but leaves the guilt of sin. But justification acquits the person of every charge. Believer, your sins are not merely forgiven--but they are done away with, put out of sight, removed from you as far as the remotest east is from the extreme west! In the eye of God, you are as guiltless as His spotless Son! "You are altogether beautiful, My love; there is no flaw in you!" Song of Songs 4:7

4. A saved soul is also a God-arrayed soul. This is higher still. The former blessing was a negation of guilt, this is a possession of righteousness. A righteousness, mark you, that is not capable of improvement, but a righteousness that is superlative in its quality--it is the righteousness of God Himself! A saved soul, even to the omniscient eye of Deity, is not only without spot or wrinkle or any such thing--but it is altogether lovely and glorious, robed in the splendor of "Jehovah Tsidkenu"--"The Lord our Righteousness!"

5. A saved soul is a Heaven-entitled soul. This crowns all. Not merely am I delivered from Hell, but in my hand is placed a title-deed to eternal glory! This is no fiction or flight of imagination, but a blessed fact. Possessed by every saint, is a title to Heaven that God Himself will declare to be valid to all eternity.

Now believer, if all these things are included in what God has done for our souls, then did I not say rightly that many words were necessary to describe the work? Let us then, as God-pardoned, God-reconciled, Sin-delivered, God-arrayed, Heaven-entitled souls--call on all, far and near, to come and listen to our joyous tale.

God looks upon His redeemed people as the masterpieces of His love and power; and He will before assembled worlds exhibit us as the grandest trophies Heaven contains!
0 100 Read More
Devotional
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:54 AM
.... Jefferson was not a big fan of Calvin in particular.
2 260 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:36 PM
The "big" issues that were passed regarding the ordination of elders who confess to unnatural affections represent a change in the PCA's Book of Church Order (BCO), so the changes now have to be approved by two thirds of the presbyteries, and then adopted at next year's General Assembly, according to a PCA pastor I know. So I reckon we'll be hearing about this stuff for a whole 'nother year or so before it becomes officially "law" in the PCA. My friend can't say whether or not the presbyteries will approve the overtures passed by this year's General Assembly, but that's where the battle goes from here. Then to be finalized at next year's GA.
2 261 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 85 guests, and 65 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
winslowlady, Zach, Daverogk, Dani, timothywhite
962 Registered Users
Shout Box
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
1,273,642 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.039s Queries: 6 (0.005s) Memory: 2.4458 MB (Peak: 2.6533 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2021-08-03 19:47:08 UTC