Originally Posted by Newman
Anywhoo, back to a question I asked before…was the Jerusalem Council infallible? Or did it err? If it erred, how so?
1. I do not believe that the Jerusalem Council was infallible. God alone is infallible and those who were inspired in the writing of Scripture by the Holy Spirit.

2. There is no indication in Scripture that the decision reached by the Jerusalem Council was in error. Beyond that we know virtually nothing further. And thus I have no warrant to speculate what further pronouncements the Jerusalem Council made.

I’m also wondering if it is your position that whereas Christ bestowed divine authority on the apostles, the apostles, in turn, could not bestow apostolic authority on Apollos and Timothy and all the rest? I’m also wondering what kind of authority they were bestowed, if any.
1. The Apostles had no power nor authority to bestow divine (Apostolic) authority on anyone. The Apostles were of a set number established to accomplish the laying of the foundation of the Church, which they did. And it is upon that foundation that elders and deacons stand (Eph 2:19-22).

2. Elders are given the authority to "rule" over congregations consisting of professing believers and to administer discipline when necessary. And they are given the authority and responsibility to preach and teach the written Word of God for the edification of the saints. (Scriptural references can be provided if necessary)

Again, one could say all councils are unique and serve a particular purpose during a specific time period. Right? What’s not unique, nor temporal is that a group would misinterpret and/or misapply scripture. If scripture is perspicuous, I don’t see a need for councils, and if councils can and do err, I don’t see how they can be very authoritative. confused
1. Right as to the uniqueness of all councils, although the Jerusalem Council was uniquely unique. giggle If, for no other reason than the Canon was not complete at that time and thus the element of inspiration among some of the Apostles and others chosen by God to set down in writing that which was to be the standard for the Church.

2. Re: perspicuity... is it your view that Scripture as a whole, without exception is perspicuous? The Reformed churches surely don't hold that to be true. What we hold is that the major doctrines of the faith, particular in the matter of salvation are perspicuous. But there are many things which are not so clear and require serious study. This is one of the main reasons for a trained clergy. Of course, study alone is not sufficient apart from the grace of God and the gift(s) of the Holy Spirit. The body of Christ has many parts which are meant to compliment the whole.

3. The subsequent councils and the documents which were produced by them are of secondary authority, e.g., the Westminster Confession of Faith states in Chapter 1:X:

Chapter 1:X - The supreme judge by which all controversies of religion are to be determined, and all decrees of councils, opinions of ancient writers, doctrines of men, and private spirits, are to be examined, and in whose sentence we are to rest, can be no other but the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scripture.

Chapter XXXI:II - It belongs to synods and councils, ministerially to determine controversies of faith, and cases of conscience; to set down rules and directions for the better ordering of the public worship of God, and government of his Church; to receive complaints in cases of maladministration, and authoritatively to determine the same; which decrees and determinations, if consonant to the Word of God, are to be received with reverence and submission; not only for their agreement with the Word, but also for the power whereby they are made, as being an ordinance of God appointed thereunto in His Word.

III. - All synods or councils, since the apostles' times, whether general or particular, may err; and many have erred. Therefore they are not to be made the rule of faith, or practice; but to be used as a help in both.

Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Yet, there has always been a remnant saved by grace who have endured these things and kept the faith with sound doctrine and life.
And you can find this remnant in every age? 2nd century, 3rd century…..8th century, 9th century and so on?
yep

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]