Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#1939 Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Could the Westminster Confession of Faith contain error in it, or is it considered to be inerrant like the Bible? And if it can or does contain any errors. who would be the one to correct it?
Do those in the Presbyterian Church hold to the WCOF as being equal with the Bible or as a help added to it for understanding it.
just wondering.

God bless

#1940 Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:45 PM
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
utmostsinner

Of course the WCOF can contain error.
I have to wonder, why you asked a question like that?

Tom

#1941 Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:10 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
[color:"blue"]Could the Westminster Confession of Faith contain error in it, or is it considered to be inerrant like the Bible?

Here's what the Confession says about itself, albeit by inference, in Chapter I, Article X:

X. The supreme judge by which all controversies of religion are to be determined, and all decrees of councils, opinions of ancient writers, doctrines of men, and private spirits, are to be examined, and in whose sentence we are to rest, can be no other but the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scripture.
Clearly, the writers of the Confession did not consider it to be inspired nor the ultimate authority, but rather subservient to the Scriptures, which is the sole and final authority in all matters of faith and practice. In Chapter 31, Article III it says,
III. All synods or councils, since the Apostles' times, whether general or particular, may err; and many have erred. Therefore they are not to be made the rule of faith, or practice; but to be used as a help in both.

In reply to:
[color:"blue"]Do those in the Presbyterian Church hold to the WCOF as being equal with the Bible or as a help added to it for understanding it.

Well, as in any denomination, you are going to find a variety of views. Doubtless, there are some who act and speak as if the WCF was inspired of God and is the ultimate authority in all things. And, you will surely find that there are Presbyterians who haven't even heard of the Westminster Confession of Faith. It is hoped, of course, that the majority views and uses the Confession as it was intended, i.e., a subordinate authority, a true summary of the Scriptures' doctrines, a means to maintain uniformity of doctrine and order among the churches and as an aid to prevent the entrance of heresy, among other things.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#1942 Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:44 AM
Addict
Addict
A GREAT QUESTION!
Many Presbyterians HAVE admitted error, at least implicitly, by removing the section about the Pope being THE antichrist.
Similarly, many Reformed folks have footnoted Article 36 of the Belgic Confession, dealing with the magistrates and the relation to the church.

Of course, just because these sections are omitted or further clarified via footnotes casts no doubt upon the rest of the Confession. With 400+ years of usage, the Belgic Confession has stood the test of time (as has the WCF for nearly 400 years).

Steve

Grace is not common.
#1943 Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:52 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The main reason for asking about the WCOF is that I have heard that a certain sect within the Presbyterian Church had elevated the WCOF to equality with the Bible itself.
I believe that the WCOF contains the Word of God but is not the Word of God it self. In other words I do not believe it to be inspired or inerrant as some seem to do.

Peace

#1944 Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:47 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
The main reason for asking about the WCOF is that I have heard that a certain sect within the Presbyterian Church had elevated the WCOF to equality with the Bible itself.

As I pointed out to you in my other reply, you are going to find, not only in Presbyterian circles but in every realm of Christendom, e.g., hard Dispensationalists and Scofield's notes, Rome and its "Oral Tradition" (which has never been brought forth for examination, etc., those who elevate subordinate documents to a place equal to or even above the authority of Scripture. However, you said you have "heard" about an alleged "sect with Presbyterianism" and I'm curious 1) who told you this? and 2) the identity of this alleged "sect"?

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #1945 Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hi Pilgrim,<br><br>Maybe the term 'sect' is wrong. Not my place to judge, just going by what I have read/heard in different web forums and groups. if not mistaken, I believe that they are called Covenanter's or by others as Steelite Covenanter's.<br>Here is a url to one group that I have read most of my info about them: <br><br>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecalvinlivesclub/message/10271<br><br>Peace

#1946 Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:14 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
The Steelites or Social Covenanter's are a VERY controversial group to say the very least. Here are some exchanges:

STEELITE CONTROVERSY: CORRESPONDENCE

and here is an earlier exchange here at the Highway--Public, Social Covenanting

Reformed and Always Reforming,

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth