Donations for the month of December

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Meta4
Meta4
Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,320
Posts53,340
Members964
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,069
Tom 4,075
chestnutmare 3,087
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,820
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 24
Pilgrim 19
Meta4 4
John_C 2
Robin 1
Recent Posts
Spurgeon
by Pilgrim - Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:06 PM
Nero
by Meta4 - Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:18 PM
Gracious High Priest
by NetChaplain - Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:05 PM
A Discourse on the Cleansing Virtue of Christ's Blood
by Pilgrim - Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:44 AM
Renewed Strength
by chestnutmare - Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:56 PM
Faith-Trials (Jas 1:3)
by NetChaplain - Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:20 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#45532 Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 PM
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
My Christian Faith and Christmas!

Mike Jeshurun

So I claim to be the ‘elect’ of God for whom Christ died. I know enough theology to debate any Atheist or Evolutionist, Arminian or Amyraldian and prove him wrong. But could it be that I am just a spiritually dead Christian with a lots of doctrine in my head?

I have heard this for a long time now that Christmas is Pagan and an offence to the God I claim to love and obey, but I could care less. I don’t want to be that ‘oddball’ who shuns Christmas and preaches against it. I have no desire to go forth unto Him, outside the camp (of apostate Christianity) bearing His reproach like all the Elect! [Heb. 13:12,13].

“It’s not a moral issue” I reason! And where does the Bible say ‘don’t celebrate Christmas’? Ha, spoken like a genuine purebred goat, you say! Maybe you’re right! Maybe I need to "examine myself whether I am in the Faith" [II Cor. 13:5]. The true saint of God they say does not abstain himself only from those things which are morally wrong, but hates "every false way" [Psa. 119:104].

Could it be true that many such dry, dead, graceless head-knowledge Christians are burning in Hell right now who professed to know God but denied Him in works! [Titus 1:16]

Could it be that “Come out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing” is not just good advice but a command? Looks like my very affiliation and participation in the pagan festival of Christmas reveals my true identity. Maybe after all I am just a goat with a head full of theology, and the ‘root of the matter is not in me’! [Job 19:28].

Sometimes I wonder, “Why not go all the way and join the Pagans in celebrating all their other Babylonian festivals”?!

But wait a minute! Isn’t the Christmas season a great time to win the lost? At least they are more open to the Gospel during this season! Doesn’t the end justifies the means. I would love to organize a Christmas program, a Rock or Rap concert, do anything as long as I can lead folks to Christ and get them to pray and ask Jesus into their hearts. After all what better day for lost souls to make a decision and open their heart to invite Jesus in than his Birthday?!

And surely I can’t deny my kiddies a good time by being such a nonconformist radical. Yes Moses took all the little ones with him out of Egypt (Ex 10:9,10). But times are different now! There are times when I have to follow the multitude to do evil and allow my children to mingle with the present day Egyptians in their "pleasures of sin for a season"? (Hebrews 11:25).

But seriously here is the truth: “In the sight of God the circus and the theater are far less obnoxious than the "Christmas celebration" of Romish and Protestant "churches." Why? Because the latter are done under the cover of the holy name of Christ; the former are not”. [A.W. Pink]

The question is not whether I will lose my salvation if I join in this pagan abomination done in my Lord’s name, but whether I am saved to start with! I am smart enough to know who it is that celebrates "Christmas"! The whole "civilized world." Millions who make no profession of faith in the blood of the Lamb, who "despise and reject Him," and millions more who while claiming to be His followers yet in works deny Him, joining in the merrymaking under the pretense of honoring the birth of the Lord Jesus!

Putting it on its lowest ground, I must ask myself, "You claiming to be His friend, will you unite with His enemies in a worldly round of fleshly gratification?" Am I kidding myself that He whom the world cast out is either pleased or glorified by such participation in the world's joys? Verily, "the customs of the people are vain"; and it is written, "Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil" (Exodus 23:2)

Without labouring the point, I as a true child of God should have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness but rather exposes them [Eph 5:11], not that I might be saved, but because I am! It cannot be overstressed that ‘Christmas’ is a worldly festival, and everything connected to it - (the Christmas Tree, Santa Claus, the Mistletoe, the elves all of them) has a Satanic significance. And God’s Word makes it plain that if I am a friend of the world then I am the enemy of God! [James 4:4]

If the Master walked into my house this month and saw my decorated Christmas tree [Jer 10:2-4], the Satanic Pentagram (Christmas Star), Santa Claus etc would he commend me with a “well done thou good and faithful servant’ or “depart from me I never knew you”?! Surely I ought to know the answer to that! If as I claim, Christ has set me free, then it was not that I might be delivered to do all these abominations! [see Jer 7:10]

And I think it is high time that I stopped justifying my celebration of this paganism by quoting other blind Christian leaders who are leading their blind congregations into the ditch and see for myself what the Word of God has to say concerning this!

So I think for a start I am going to ‘Test everything (even Christmas) and hold fast to that which is good and Scriptural’ [1Thes 5:21]

I think I am going to quit justifying myself and seriously “Examine myself, whether I am in the Faith!” [2Cor 13:5]

[size:14pt][/size]

Mikejeshurun
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Mike

If you do a search on the Highway, you should notice that this topic is brought up at this time of year every year.

Tom

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Mike,

The problem with your argument and conclusion (implied), from what I read in your tirade against "Christmas" is that anyone who gives any type of special observance to the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ is outside the faith and probably in hell or destined to hell. Would that be an accurate assessment of your position?

As Tom replied, this topic is a perennial one here on the Discussion Board and there are those who stand on both sides of the issue. What an unfortunate thing it is too for there are some who would break fellowship over it because of what they think is "truth" on the matter. What is inconvertibly true is that if one chooses to display any "image" of any of the three persons of the Godhead, e.g., a baby Jesus, then this is a violation of the Second Commandment (also hotly debated among professing Christians). But that is one which has a solid, specific, direct prohibition despite those who would deny the commandment's application. There is no man-made fabrication of what some object "means" or represents, which is such a woefully weak argument.

If I choose, which I do, to give more time to reflect on the birth of Christ, His life, death and resurrection during some time of the year and you would deem that to be a damnable sin, that is your choice. But in this particular case, I think I will defer my mediations upon the Son of God's incarnation to redeem me from my sins to the judgment seat of Almighty God. And if it be found that such heart-felt loving contemplations are indeed a sin, then to be sure, my Christ has paid the penalty for that sin too and shall gather me to Himself on that last day.

Peace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley
Mike, if this is truly how you feel then YOU should abstain from any such celebration but, this is your imposition of meaning upon a day which many people celebrate without sinning at all. For you, it is sin. For others, who don't associate something negative with non-deciduous trees that are cut down and set up in someone's house and then decorated with various ornaments, it is perfectly fine and not evidence of an inferior spirituality, which by the way is what you seem to be saying. I have no problem with the person who celebrates this day or any day nor with the person who for personal preferences, determines that they won't celebrate a particular day. What I do have problem with is that a person would judge another as being less spiritual because they do celebrate.

There may not be a place in Scripture which tells us to celebrate the birth of our Savior that is true. What is also true is that if it were not for his birth, we would not have a Savior and the world would still be looking forward to the Messiah. Scripture does tell us about a remarkable thing which God has done out of His profound love for His people. He condescended to be born of a woman, fully God and fully man, born in the most humble of circumstances. The glorious God who created all things chose to become one of us in order that He might save us. To me, that is something worth contemplation, at this time or any time, it doesn't really matter. This happens to be a traditional time for people to consider the Messiah's birth. More likely that it took place in springtime but that is not what is important. What is important is that we know the Savior and worship Him.

I would hope that you might reconsider your hardline on Christmas and not judge so harshly those people who do celebrate Christmas. I have heard these arguments before and as before, I have considered them to be, well, weak at best. Wasn't it God who created trees? Surely it was not the devil. And didn't God express His pleasure at their creation? Did He not also create the stars and declare them to be good? How can you assign one meaning to trees and stars and not see that there isn't one meaning but many. Do not give more to the devil than is his due.

The Chestnut Mare
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
- - - -JRR Tolkien "Lord of the Rings"
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
Dear friends,
I did not post this article to educate you on the Pagan and Romish roots of Christmas, but to confirm where you stood in regards to the truth! Amazingly many Arminians who have not grasped the doctrines of Sovereignty have had their eyes open to this worldly Babylonian festival and are warning others to have nothing to do with it.

A few weeks ago Pilgrim chided A.W. Pink for withdrawing himself from the ‘Churches’ of his day and said that this was a ‘Sinful choice’ on his part.

This same Mr. Pink wrote in his article on Xmas –

"But the path of the just is as the shining Light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day." (Proverbs 4:18) Where there is a heart that really desires to please the Lord, He graciously grants increasing knowledge of His will. If He is pleased to use these lines in opening the eyes of some of His dear people to recognize what is a growing evil, and to show them that they have been dishonoring Christ by linking the name of the Man of Sorrows (and such He was, when on earth) with a "Merry Christmas," then join with the writer in a repentant confessing of THIS SIN to God, seeking His grace for complete deliverance from it, and praise Him for the light which He has granted you concerning it”.

Whether Mr. Pink was sinning in withdrawing from the compromised ‘Churches’ of his day, or whether those who know better but willfully choose to join Rome in celebrating ChristMASS and also justify their sin are sinning, The Day will declare!

As for me and my house, we choose to join A.W. Pink in his ‘sinful choice’!

Love

Mike!

Mikejeshurun
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Mike,

Your position has been made clear, which I do not find any BIBLICAL merit for it at its core. That the world and many (most?) churches err in dishonoring God and Christ by their "celebration" of what is known as Christmas I heartily affirm. However, the broad brush you use to condemn everyone who disagrees with Arthur Pink and yourself, I find totally unwarranted.

You still haven't answered my question I asked you which I think deserves an answer. Do you believe that anyone who gives any extra recognition to the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ on any particular day is destined to hell, lest they cease and desist (aka: repent) of this alleged "sin"?

That Arthur Pink was guilty of sin for his choice to be a recluse is well known, even among those who admire the man, even some who have published his works and written a biography of him. There is no doubt nor argument that there were many churches in his day that were far from the truth, no less than what is true today and which has been true perhaps since the first century. And it is also true that one should not join with such churches just for the sake of allegedly conforming to the injunction found in Heb 10:25. It isn't the abstaining from joining with seriously erring churches that Pink has been rightly criticized for, but rather his "attitude", aka: Elijah Syndrome: "I, even I only, am left". Therefore, let us be oh so careful not to deify/idolize any man, whether it be Calvin, Spurgeon, Pink, et al, for ALL are sinners and ALL have erred, yet these "great ones" have been raised up and used marvelously for the edification of the Church.

So again, will you consign me personally to eternal damnation because I choose to give more time in contemplation, prayer and praise to God for the sending of the Lord Christ to redeem me on any particular day of the year? Are you willing to go that far? Let's see where you stand on the matter AS STATED, which has nothing to do with whether one should have a Christmas tree, put up decorative lights on their front door, or give of oneself and/or food, clothing or shelter to those who are in great need, in the name of Christ. The issue is, is it a damnable heresy to give more contemplation on the birth of Christ and His redeeming love on any particular day of the year over another? scratchchin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
atdcross, NetChaplain, winslowlady, Zach, Daverogk
964 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,303,356 Gospel truth