Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
AC. #47141 Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:58 PM
Newman Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by AC.
Originally Posted by Newman
Ok, I see where you're coming from. So does that mean that a tare may never plow the hard ground and become wheat?

well, that's a whole other parable smile
Well...sort of. smile I don't know if you've ever read how Augustine related the two parables together, but, as usual, its pretty good stuff:

3. Accordingly I yesterday addressed "the way side," I addressed the "stony ground," I addressed the "thorny places;" and I said, Be ye changed whilst ye may: turn up with the plough the hard ground, cast the stones out of the field, pluck up the thorns out of it. Be loth to retain that hard heart, from which the word of God may quickly pass away and be lost. Be loth to have that lightness of soil, where the root of charity can take no deep hold. Be loth to choke the good seed which is sown in you by my labours, with the lusts and the cares of this world. For it is the Lord who sows; and we are only His labourers. But be ye the "good ground." I said yesterday, and I say again today to all, Let one bring forth "a hundred, another sixty, another thirty fold." In one the fruit is more, in another less; but all will have a place in the barn. Yesterday I said all this, to-day I am addressing the tares; but the sheep themselves are the tares. O evil Christians, O ye, who in filling only press the Church by your evil lives; amend yourselves before the harvest come. "Say not, I have sinned, and what hath befallen me?" God hath not lost His power; but He is requiring repentance from thee. I say this to the evil, who yet are Christians; I say this to the tares. For they are in the field; and it may so be, that they who to-day are tares, may to-morrow be wheat. And so I will address the wheat also. (Sermon 23 on the New Testament)

AC. #47142 Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:06 PM
Newman Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by AC.
Hey Brian, when taking the chapter as a whole it appears to me that 2Peter 2 is talking about false prophets and decievers who may have been taught (and have instructed others in) the way but never had spiritual life. The verse does not seem to be as potent of an endorsement of losing salvation when considering the whole chapter (unless I'm missing something?)

In fact, Peter seems to really be railing against those of whom he speaks in this chapter.....
I'm aware of the context. The fact remains that Peter says that these false prophets and deceivers had escaped the pollutions of the world. In order for it to mean what you think it means, you must introduce something into the text which is not there...you must interpret "they have escaped," penned by the divinely inspired Peter as "appearing to have escaped." Right?

Last edited by Newman; Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:13 PM.
Newman #47143 Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:47 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Well...sort of. smile I don't know if you've ever read how Augustine related the two parables together, but, as usual, its pretty good stuff: <cut Augustine's quote>
Methinks that Augustine has taken the parable and turned it on its head. There is not even a hint that the Lord Christ's interpretation of the parable to His disciples was intended to be taken as an injunctive counsel to the types of individuals symbolized in the four types of 'ground'. He was simply explaining how certain individuals result from hearing the Gospel. And, that those who do hear (spiritually), i.e., their hearts (good ground) which was created by the Spirit takes root and bears and will bear genuine good works.

In fact, if one wishes to do a valid comparison, one should read Mark's reporting of this telling of the parable and Christ's explanation in chapter 4:2-20. But the most telling part of that anecdote is to be found in verses 10-12:

Mark 4:10-12 (ASV) "And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parables. And he said unto them, Unto you is given the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all things are done in parables: that (Grk: hina) seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest haply they should turn again (Grk: epistrepho; be converted), and it should be forgiven them."
In short, the reason that Jesus preached in parables to the masses was so that, hina, with the intended purpose, the hearers would not comprehend the meaning and consequently not be converted. Parables were designed to keep the unregenerate in their current state, but to those who were regenerate (given ears to hear, a mind to understand, etc.) they were life-giving words (cf., 2Cor 2:6-16).

This certainly gives much weight to my interpretation, which is held among nearly all Reformed Protestants, both scholars, doctors, pastors and sheep alike.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Newman #47145 Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:24 AM
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by AC.
Hey Brian, when taking the chapter as a whole it appears to me that 2Peter 2 is talking about false prophets and decievers who may have been taught (and have instructed others in) the way but never had spiritual life. The verse does not seem to be as potent of an endorsement of losing salvation when considering the whole chapter (unless I'm missing something?)

In fact, Peter seems to really be railing against those of whom he speaks in this chapter.....
I'm aware of the context. The fact remains that Peter says that these false prophets and deceivers had escaped the pollutions of the world. In order for it to mean what you think it means, you must introduce something into the text which is not there...you must interpret "they have escaped," penned by the divinely inspired Peter as "appearing to have escaped." Right?

Hey Brian, what Peter says here is a correct....unlike the heathen they were recipients of the Gospel and made a public profession (and were most probably baptized in the name of Jesus)which especially in those days was no light manner (unlike many of the nominal Christians of recent times). Just like those infants who are baptized in the name of Jesus and are taught the Gospel/hearers of the word (Christ crucified....they have also escaped the pollutions of the world in a sense, as external recipients of the means of grace, however......

Let's consider these few verses of 1 John 2 -
19They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. 20But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

So considering all of what I wrote how do you take what Peter says? You don't believe in 'eternal security' for lack of a better term so what are you implying that Peter means when he says....'they have escaped the pollution of this world? that it was a conditional escape? They escaped from the pollutions on the condition that they don't go back to the pollution? I don't believe Peter is speaking about salvation here....he is speaking externally, Peter does not have divine insight and he is speaking as an observer, not as one judging the heart or teaching unconditional/conditional election or ir/resistible grace.....that is not the focus or the intent of his words here.....Reformed Christians believe that by the fruits you will know who the true Christians are (but even so we don't have the divine insight to know who the true child of God is with complete certainty). We also believe that man is accountable, especially those who have been taught/shown the way and know the truth...they will be beaten with more stripes than the heathen....as Matthew Henry comments....
A state of apostasy is worse than a state of ignorance. To bring an evil report upon the good way of God, and a false charge against the way of truth, must expose to the heaviest condemnation.

the next verse 2 Peter 2:22 states.....
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
we have no indication that these 'false prophets' 'deceivers' were regenerated....quite the opposite since these labels are pretty good indicators that they are under demonic influence and do not have God's protection.

Sorry for the long post....I probably haven't changed your mind but thanks for considering what I wrote, regardless!

Peace!

AC

Last edited by AC.; Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 AM.

The mercy of God is necessary not only when a person repents, but even to lead him to repent, Augustine

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 78 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,125 Gospel truth