Donations for the month of July

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,804
Posts54,994
Members970
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,483
Tom 4,562
chestnutmare 3,329
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,869
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 21
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Guns and the Population
by Tom - Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:08 PM
Religion and Politics
by Tom - Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:33 PM
Lex Rex
by Tom - Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:26 PM
The Real Evidence about Scripture and Homosexual Practice
by Pilgrim - Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:40 AM
Economics
by Pilgrim - Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:26 PM
Did Paul go to Spain
by John_C - Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:25 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#53307 Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:00 AM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
I am posting something here, mainly because it is something I may use in the future as a tool to proclaim the Gospel. However, because as I was trying to put in short form what I read in a booklet, I found my words to be a bit abstract and therefore may need clarifying and or correcting, before I become confident they convey truth. Hopefully you can help me with that. blush

Faith in Christ Alone-The grounds of our salvation

Recently I was reading a little booklet 'The Warrant of Faith' by CH Spurgeon that among other things teaches the dangers of how to and not to proclaim the Gospel.
Spurgeon rightfully believes that in order for someone to believe in Christ, regeneration needs to occur in the person's life. He also shows how repentance and faith go hand in hand.
He warns however that if we proclaim regeneration, or election, before faith in Christ, though being a necessary prerequisite before faith in Christ will occur. We need to be careful we do not make our focus on their regeneration, or election lest their warrant for their salvation become anything but their faith in Christ alone, thus becoming something they can boast in and not free-grace (pgs. 6-7).
The focus needs to be as the text of Spurgeon's booklet says: "And this is his commandment, that we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ."-1 John 3:23. We must endeavour to explain what it means to believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ. I. E who the Father is and who the Son is and what the Son actually accomplished. How in placing faith in Christ alone is the grounds for which the sinner is "accepted in the beloved". That it is not the mere knowledge of these facts that saves us, but the actual trusting our souls in the Redeemer's hands. "Faith must act in the wise: "I believe that Jesus came to save sinners, and therefore, sinner though I be, I rest myself on Him; I therefore, though ungodly, trust in him to be my righteousness:..". His righteousness is imputed to me. (my emphasis) "I know by faith that I have an interest in his perpetual intercession."
Spurgeon goes onto say that though the law is good and teaches the sinner God's perfect standard; without which we would have no knowledge of what we are saved from. Nobody can be saved by trying to keep it as though by keeping it, it can save. Rather it is faith in Christ alone that saves. Keeping His commandments becomes a fruit of whether or not we really have faith in Christ (see 1 John 2:3); not what actually saves us. This is clearly seen in Paul’s rebuke of Peter in Gal. 2:11-21. (emphasis mine)
Spurgeon says the following: (After quoting Romans 3:20) "The true believer learned to look away from the killing ordinances of old law...and lays hold with joy upon the hope set before him in the one commandment, contained in my text, "1 John 3:23"."And this is his commandment, that we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ."

Tom

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I'll be nitpicky here and say that faith is not the grounds nor warrant (right) unto salvation.

1. The Lord Christ is the ground of our salvation. Faith is nothing, in and of itself. In fact, true faith is a denial of self, a looking away from self and sin and looking unto Him and His perfect righteousness..

2. The 'warrant for salvation' is not faith, but the fact that one is born a sinner and by nature under the wrath and condemnation of God. The warrant to believe rests in this truth. (Matt 9:13; Mark 2:17). [hyper-Calvinism teaches that the warrant (the right) to believe is one's election. Therefore, one must discover whether or not they are one of the elect before they can (have permission) believe. nono

3. An important element which is hinted at but not really brought out clearly, is that the law which the sinner naturally and most willingly hates and transgressions is that which the Spirit uses to bring genuine conviction of sin. It is out of this conviction that repentance flows just as does faith flow from a denial of that sinful self and reaches out to the Lord Christ.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life

 Nitpicky is exactly what I wanted.

I was using Spurgeon’s description not my own. That being said, I think he was pretty clear that the person (Jesus) who is the object of our faith is what he was referring to. Nothing in ourselves, not the law, or anything else.
To check if I understand Spurgeon properly, please go to the following.
http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0531.php
Or if you prefer the YouTube version

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:36 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
970 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,525,892 Gospel truth