Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,917
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#56259 Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:43 PM
OP Offline
Can anyone identify the source of this quote by Dr. Paul Elliott?
"We cannot tell people what God can do for them, unless we tell them what God in Christ has done for us."

I have googled and looked on his website to no avail. Thank you.

ATulipNotADaisy #56263 Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:53 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I can't give you the source of the quote, but I can give you Dr. Paul Elliott's contact information which you can find here: Teaching the Word Ministries - Contact Us.

Now, as to the quote itself... what are your thoughts about this statement? scratchchin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
ATulipNotADaisy #56264 Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:21 AM
OP Offline
The reason I posted this quote is that someone used the quote to say this about Dr. Elliott I was wanting to read his words in context

Paul Elliott: "We cannot tell people what God can do for them, unless we tell them what God in Christ has done for us."
“He makes many correct statements, but then this "slips out" in an unguarded moment. It always slips out sooner or later. Also, there was no real emphasis on the destitute condition of man, i.e., that he is totally depraved and therefore under God's wrath.
Another said, “You can tell it's unnatural for him to speak of doctrine. It is forced out, like vomit. But it's so easy for these Calvinists to belch out their heresies. "what God CAN do" if you make your decision, and, "God makes his salvation available to all who believe." Calvinism = Arminianism = unbelief.”

The statement of Dr. Elliott seems true to me. I think he meant that you don’t just present Christ to someone as the benefits He gives. You present Christ as Who He is and what he has accomplished.

Last edited by ATulipNotADaisy; Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:42 AM.
ATulipNotADaisy #56265 Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:51 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
The statement of Dr. Elliott seems true to me. I think he meant that you don’t just present Christ to someone as the benefits He gives. You present Christ as Who He is and what he has accomplished.
This is one of those rare occasions which I must take issue with Paul Elliott. Why? Because the Gospel must be OBJECTIVE vs. SUBJECTIVE. The Gospel, as per my A Gospel Summary is the proclamation of biblical facts and truth concerning the redemption of sinners according God's eternal plan through Jesus Christ. What God may or may not have done for you (pl) may not be and in most cases is in fact, what God may do for anyone else. The difference is as once described is the Gospel of the Changed Life vs. The Gospel that Changes Life. In modern 'evanjellicalism' one's testimony is often very positive. For example, once I was a drunkard, an adulterer, a thief, (add term here ________) but since I asked Jesus into my heart, I no longer drink, my wife has forgiven me for my unfaithfulness, my children are obedient, etc. etc. And God will do the same for you if you will believe on Jesus.

However, there are many testimonies from true believers which are the opposite of the above; see e.g., the 'heroes of the faith' found in Hebrews 11, the lives of the OT prophets, and the lives of the NT Apostles. For example, there are those whose testimony goes something like this... Before I became a Christian I embezzled thousands of dollars from my employer, I cheated on my wife, I spent little time which my children, etc. BUT, after God reached down and pulled me out of the miry pit in which I lived (cf. Ps 40) and I was drawn to the Lord Christ by the Spirit and through repentance and faith, my sins were forgiven and I was given a new name and adopted as a child of God, my life drastically changed. I confessed to my crime of embezzlement, was charged, brought to trial and was found guilty and sentenced to 5 years in prison. My wife divorced me and my children want nothing to do with me. And, after being released from prison, I walked out of the prison and across the street without looking and was hit by a car and spend 3 months recovering in the hospital. This is how my life began as a child of God.

Now, which testimony would most choose to be representative of what God can do for you? (cf. 2Tim 3:12) scratchchin

Methinks that personal testimonies are of some value but they are most definitely not to be used as a substitute nor even ancillary to the Gospel. I have found that they are most appropriate when shared amongst other professing believers so that God can be praised for His love and divine providence in salvation and in sanctification, sharing in Christ's sufferings and His blessings in preparation for the world to come.

Watcha think? grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
ATulipNotADaisy #56266 Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:17 PM
OP Offline
I totally agree. Great explanation.

Pilgrim #56272 Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:03 AM
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Agree 100%
A little while ago I read the following: https://www.ligonier.org/blog/your-testimony-not-gospel/ it reminded me of what you said.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Anthony C.), 154 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,509,838 Gospel truth