“Marvel not at this- for the hour is coming, in which all who are in the graves shall hear his voice- and shall come forth; those who have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and those who have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” John 5:28-29

These words are part of the defense which our Lord Jesus Christ makes for himself, when persecuted by the Jews, for curing the impotent man and ordering him to carry away his bed on the Sabbath; and for vindicating his conduct, when accused by them of having thereby profaned that day. On this occasion he professes himself not only the Lord of the Sabbath, but also Lord of life and death; declaring, in the words of the text, the resurrection of the dead to be brought to pass by his power. This he introduces with these words, as with a solemn preface, “Marvel not at this,”- at this strange discourse of mine - do not wonder to hear me, whose appearance is so very base in your eyes; for the day is coming, in which the dead shall be raised by my power.

If there ever was a condensed statement concerning the resurrection of Christ that explained it in plain and simple terms yet delved into the depths of this subject, this would have to be it, in my opinion. Here is what Boston writes about the resurrection:
- The doctrine itself.
- The Author of the resurrection.
- Who is involved, i.e., who will be raised.
- The division of the parties involved.
- The time of its occurrence.

Of course, as is the case with Boston and all the Puritan types, he finishes his discourse by making practical applications of the biblical truth.

Is there anything more pressing upon the mind of a child of God than the return of Christ, the resurrection, their glorification and the incomprehensible joy of seeing Christ face-to-face on the New Earth? grin

Read this month's article here: The Resurrection by Thomas Boston.

And, as always... for later reading, just visit The Highway website and click on the "Article of the Month" logo.

In His service and grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]