Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#57129 Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:26 PM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
I've been using a NASB Bible for 40 or so years. I don't know how this has not come to my attention before, but my Bible flipflops three verses. (Matthew 21:29-31)

NASB (my version - having to type as I cannot find it online)

29) "And he answered and said, 'I will sir'; and he did not go. 30) "And he came to the second and said the same thing. But he answered and said, 'I will not'; yet he afterward regretted it and went. 31) "Which of the two did the will of his father?" They said, "The latter." Jesus said to them, "Truly I say to you that the tax gatherers and harlots will get into the kingdom of God before you.

NASB 1995, (which has the same sequence as the ESV NKJ, KJV, & NIV)

29And he answered, ‘I will not’; but afterward he regretted it and went. 30The man came to the second and said the same thing; and he answered, ‘I will, sir’; but he did not go. 31Which of the two did the will of his father?” They *said, “The first.” Jesus *said to them, “Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you.

How did that happen, and did the NASB folks give a reason on the change?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi John, a quick check here: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mat.+21&version=NKJV;NASB;ASV;ESV;RSV shows NKJ, NASB, ASV, ESV, and RSV all have the order of your second quote (and you can check many other versions there as well). At the bottom of that page, it shows the NASB copyright from 1960 through 2020, and the edition being used is the 2020.

What edition is your NASB? Could it be just a single printing which reversed the text? It appears to be deliberate, rather than accidental, as in your reversed version, verse 31 correctly identifies "the latter" (or second), whereas the other versions correctly identify "the first".

Meta4

There is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. - C.H. Spurgeon
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
The 1977 NASB version. I have 3 NASB Bibles using the 1977 version, and they all say the same. It was changed in the 1995 version (edition).

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
John

I need to admit that I am not really a fan of the NASB. I realize it is considered to be one of the most literal English Bible versions.
However, there are times that I believe it uses the wrong word when the Greek can be rendered a few different words. Context determining what English word should be used.
For example: in 1 Tim. 3:11; the discussion on deacons, the Greek can be either rendered "wives", or "women".
The NASB, uses the word "women", where as all other Formal Equivalent translations that I am aware of use the word "wives".
So what is the problem?
The NASB, makes it look like "women" can be deacons in the sense that the chapter is talking about. However, the context almost certainly is not talking about "women deacons". It is talking about "deacons wives".

Tom

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Tom
John

I need to admit that I am not really a fan of the NASB. I realize it is considered to be one of the most literal English Bible versions.
However, there are times that I believe it uses the wrong word when the Greek can be rendered a few different words. Context determining what English word should be used.
For example: in 1 Tim. 3:11; the discussion on deacons, the Greek can be either rendered "wives", or "women".
The NASB, uses the word "women", where as all other Formal Equivalent translations that I am aware of use the word "wives".
So what is the problem?
The NASB, makes it look like "women" can be deacons in the sense that the chapter is talking about. However, the context almost certainly is not talking about "women deacons". It is talking about "deacons wives".

Tom

Tom, although I have mixed feelings about the NASB, I am most certainly in agreement with you on the example you gave. As can be seen here: 1 Timothy 3, the ASV and RSV also use "women", but the NASB goes even further, with a footnote that reads "I.e., either deacons’ wives or deaconesses".

Meta4

There is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. - C.H. Spurgeon
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Meta4
As can be seen here: 1 Timothy 3, the ASV and RSV also use "women",
1 Timothy 3:11-12 (ASV) 11 Women in like manner [must be] grave, not slanderers, temperate, faithful in all things. 12 Let deacons be husbands of one wife, ruling [their] children and their own houses well.

Yes, the ASV has "women", where in the Greek it is guna - goo-nay. The CONTEXT determines if it should be translated as woman, or wife. The very next verse, verse 12, makes it incontrovertibly clear that deacons are to be the "one wife's husband" (literally in the Greek as it is also found in verse 2. Thus, it really doesn't make a wit of difference if the translation has 'woman' or 'wife' IF the Spirit through Paul wanted to include women as deacons, would he not have also written that the women must be "one husband's wife"? scratchchin And as most of us know, there are several other passages that clearly forbid women to even speak in the Church, which really, IMO, is enough to show that elders and deacons must be biologically male (no transgenders allow)! drop

Your providing the footnote in the NASB where it has 'deaconesses' is appreciated. The text doesn't allow any such notion. nope

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Journeyman
Journeyman
BigThumbUp

Meta4

Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Meta4

Thanks for the information about the ASV and RSV. Especially the footnote in the NASB.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 78 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,125 Gospel truth