Silenced!
“Be silent, O all flesh, before the LORD: for he is raised up out of his holy habitation.”
Zechariah 2:13
When God confronts a sinner He exposes to him who he is, fear fills his heart. He begins to look for ways of escape. “And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself” (Genesis 3:8-10). Excuses fill their mouth, trying to blame anyone but themselves. Like Job, our mouths are filled with arguments, but when we get a right view of God’s holiness and our wickedness, our mouths are stopped. “Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth” (Job 40:4). All our excuses condemn us so that there is nothing in us to plead upon. The only thing we can expect is death. As we are silenced the ears of our heart are opened to hear the voice of God saying, “I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction: repentance shall be hid from mine eyes” (Hosea 13:14). Our eyes are lifted up to see Jesus, the eternal Son of God, hanging on the cross, who willingly gave Himself an offering for sin which He did not commit. “Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee? And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly” (Matthew 27:113-14). When this becomes a reality in our life, fear becomes worship and our lips are opened in praise and thanksgiving for His life giving blood to such unworthy ones as we are. “I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD” (Psalm 118:17).

Salvation is a personal experience, it is not enough to know that He gives salvation, but it must be for me! “The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation” (Psalm 118:14). He becomes everything and we become nothing. Our will is made to agree with His will. “I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted: I said in my haste, All men are liars. What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me? I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD” (Psalm 116:10-13). Have you been silenced by a view of your sin against a holy and righteous God, but also find the One who was silent and took your punishment of death to Calvary’s Cross as your substitute? Nothing less will do! “The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence. But we will bless the LORD from this time forth and for evermore. Praise the LORD” (Psalm 115:17-18).

Written by: Cornelius VanKempen