A friend and I started doing a study on Genesis 1:1.
I have actually never done a deep dive in this particular aspect before; but I have always been taught that Genesis 1:1, is talking about the creation of everything, material and spiritual and although the original readers would not have understood this to be the Trinity. Which is only revealed by progressive revelation, Elohim is referring to the Trinity.

A couple of things we noticed while reading so called experts on the subject.
Among Conservative commentators; there are differences of opinions regarding parts of this.
A few examples is whether it is talking about the creation of the “material universe”, or both the spiritual and the material universe.

Also, what is meant by the plural Elohim in verse one.
Then later in verse 26 “let us”.
Some believe that it could mean that because they think Gen. 1:1 is talking about the material universe, rather than the spiritual. Angels were at least present during the creation of the material universe that verse one talks about.
They believe the “us” in verse 26 are God’s Devine Counsel; and “the Sons of God” which are angels and is not referencing the Trinity.
While others, disagree saying that man was made in the image of God, not angels. Also the plurality cannot be addressing angels, since they are not in view in the “Creation Week”.
Here is something my friend took from one side of the issues view.

“The creation of space (“the heaven”), of time (“in the beginning”), and of matter (“the earth”), the Tri-universe, the space/time/matter continuum which constitutes our physical cosmos.”

He also included something he found interesting.

“Mainstream View - Though there has been some debate about the time of the creation of the spiritual realm, most Christians theologians think that it was created at the same time as the material world. The creation of angels, however, is not mentioned in the creation account of Genesis 1–2. It has often been held that Job 38:4–7 and Psalm 148:2, 5 reveal that angels were present at the creation of the material world, which might indicate that they were created prior to the first day of the creation of the material world. This seems to be the view held by at least some theologians in the Renaissance period: John Milton in Paradise Lost, for example, portrays the creation of the angels and the fall of the evil angels as having already taken place when God created the material world. It must be maintained, however, that because they are a part of the created universe and not separate from it, they were not created prior to the universe (understood as the sum total of all created things). Thus, Genesis 1:1–2 describes as much the creation of the spiritual realm as the creation of the material world. Other verses that may refer to the creation of angels include Psalm 33:6, Nehemiah 9:6, and Colossians 1:16.
It seems likely, based upon the words of Christ in Matthew 22:30 and Luke 20:36, that all the angels that have ever existed, and which will ever exist, were created at the same time. It would appear that there are an incredible number of angels, as the Scriptures describe their numbers as “innumerable” (Heb 12:22) and as “myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands” (Rev 5:11; cf. Deut 33:2; Ps 68:17; Mark 5:9, 15). It is also commonplace in Christian theology to portray the angels as forming a clear hierarchy (Eph 1:21; 3:10; Col 1:16, 21; 2:10; 1 Pet 3:22) and divided into classes.

Haines, D. (2018). The Spiritual World. In M. Ward, J. Parks, B. Ellis, & T. Hains (Eds.), Lexham Survey of Theology. Lexham Press.”

He added, “it would seem strange that all of the created universe fell under the curse but not the angels.”

This is obviously a fairly deep study; however if anyone thinks that have anything that would contribute to this study; I would welcome it.

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:16 PM.