Donations for the month of July

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,803
Posts54,986
Members970
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,482
Tom 4,557
chestnutmare 3,328
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,868
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 19
Pilgrim 13
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Religion and Politics
by Anthony C. - Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:06 PM
Lex Rex
by Tom - Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:26 PM
The Real Evidence about Scripture and Homosexual Practice
by Pilgrim - Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:40 AM
Economics
by Pilgrim - Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:26 PM
Did Paul go to Spain
by John_C - Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:25 AM
Antisemitism Awareness & Religious Liberty
by Tom - Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:02 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#59000 Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:39 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
I thought I would ask the board of what they think about Lex Rex?

"
Lex Rex," a Latin phrase meaning "The Law is King," is a principle that emphasizes the supremacy of law over the authority of rulers. This concept is foundational in Western legal thought and has significantly influenced the development of English law. Let's explore how the Bible underpins this principle and the broader framework of English law.

Lex Rex: The Law is King
The principle of "Lex Rex" was articulated by Samuel Rutherford, a 17th-century Scottish theologian, in his work "Lex, Rex: The Law and the Prince." Rutherford argued against the divine right of kings, which claimed that monarchs were above the law. Instead, he proposed that the law itself is sovereign and that rulers are subject to it. This idea helped lay the groundwork for constitutionalism and the rule of law, asserting that:

Law is Supreme: No one, not even the king, is above the law.
Government Authority is Derived from the Law: Leaders are accountable to the law and the people they govern.
The Bible as the Foundation of English Law
The Bible has had a profound influence on the development of English law, embedding principles of justice, morality, and governance within its legal system. Key aspects include:

Moral and Ethical Guidance:

The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17): These biblical laws have influenced Western legal codes, particularly in areas like prohibitions against murder, theft, and perjury.
Leviticus 19:18 (ESV): "You shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord." This principle of loving one's neighbor has informed the development of laws promoting social justice and the common good.
Principles of Justice:

Deuteronomy 16:18-20 (ESV): "You shall appoint judges and officers in all your towns that the Lord your God is giving you, according to your tribes, and they shall judge the people with righteous judgment. You shall not pervert justice. You shall not show partiality, and you shall not accept a bribe, for a bribe blinds the eyes of the wise and subverts the cause of the righteous. Justice, and only justice, you shall follow, that you may live and inherit the land that the Lord your God is giving you."
These verses emphasize the importance of fair and impartial justice, a cornerstone of English common law.

Equality Before the Law:

Galatians 3:28 (ESV): "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." This concept of equality has informed the development of laws that protect individual rights and promote equality before the law.
The Role of Covenants:

The idea of covenants, agreements made before God, has influenced the formation of legal contracts and treaties. Biblical covenants, such as those between God and Abraham or God and Moses, underscore the importance of faithfulness and obligation in agreements.
Historical Development
Magna Carta (1215):

This seminal document, often considered a cornerstone of English liberty, was influenced by biblical principles of justice and fairness. It established that the king was subject to the law, embodying the principle of "Lex Rex."
Common Law Tradition:

English common law has been shaped by biblical concepts of justice, morality, and equity. Judges often referenced biblical principles when making decisions, embedding these values in the legal system.
Reformation and Beyond:

The Protestant Reformation, with its emphasis on returning to biblical texts, further reinforced the influence of the Bible on English law. Reformers like John Calvin and later thinkers like John Locke drew on biblical principles to argue for governance based on the rule of law and the rights of individuals.
Conclusion
The principle of "Lex Rex" asserts the supremacy of law over rulers, a concept deeply rooted in biblical teachings. The Bible's influence on English law is evident in the emphasis on justice, morality, equality, and the rule of law. These biblical foundations have helped shape a legal system where the law is king, ensuring that all, including those in power, are subject to its authority.

Tom #59001 Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:56 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
What God has ordained is not synonymous with what God has commanded. Simply put, God has commanded that ALL men are subject to His moral laws and are accountable to Him to keep them perfectly. AND, not "but", God has ordained that not ALL men will keep those laws but One, the LORD Christ. For example, God commands "thou shalt not kill (murder)" AND He has ordained/decreed/predestinated that men will most surely murder his neighbor even the incarnate son of God which was done to the infinite detail (Gen 3:15; Ps 22:1-30; Ps 69:10-36; Isa 50:6; Isa 53:1-12; Zach 12:10; Acts 3:12-18, 1Cor 15:3,4; 1Pet 1:10,11). Even the relative 'good' that any man might do which is in accord with God's law is not of their own but ordained and orchestrated by the power and direction of God (Gen 20:1-7).

The point I am trying to establish is that "Lex Rex" as a principle that God's law, commands, precepts are sovereign and that ALL are subject and responsible to keep them. [Linked Image] God has not ordained/decreed that ALL will obey them. Thus, to extrapolate the idea of a "Theonomy of Christian Ethics" which demands that all Rulers must follow the law of God or face severe penalties, even death is not warranted. The ideal is that ALL would be in conformity to the law of God, i.e., that all men would think God's thoughts after Him. But the reality due to the Fall is that NO MAN will nor can keep the law of God as it is written and intended. That all will face judgment is also ordained and will be done for their every thought, word and deed. And ALL will face the punishment due for their disobedience; eternal death/punishment, either in themselves or by proxy in Christ Jesus.

See a good critique of Theonomy here: Another Look at Theonomy.

I suspect, and I could be wrong, the original poster whom you quoted was/is perhaps trying to establish the groundwork for legitimizing "Theonomic Reconstructionism"? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #59002 Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:53 AM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Actually he is not a Theonomic Reconstructionist.
He is however studying history, such as people like Rutherford.
Some of which is covered in Sam Waldron’s book (name escapes me).
Also another more recent book by a prof at the seminary Waldron is President of.

Tom #59003 Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:23 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Being a Calvinist, I am by nature suspicious and open to knowing what a person's motives and/or presuppositions are. Nonetheless, Theonomists and many Postmillennialists really like and use Rutherfords' teaching on this matter.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #59004 Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:42 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
My friend is actually a Reformed Baptist, who like myself holds to Amillennialism.

Lex Rex is a fairly new term for me; which my like for history wants to explore.

I may have mentioned this to you before; but I consider myself a 1689 Federalist.
Which is, basically what the people who wrote the 1689 LBCF held to.

They have a web site, where I found an interesting article on Lex Rex.

https://contrast2.wordpress.com/2020/03/20/rutherfords-lex-rex-summary/

Tom

Tom #59005 Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:55 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I am aware of your 'leanings' giggle Read the above nevertheless.You gave no particulars of the source so my general approach is definitely justified. smile

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #59006 Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:26 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
My friend is actually a Reformed Baptist, who like myself holds to Amillennialism.

Lex Rex is a fairly new term for me; which my like for history wants to explore.

I may have mentioned this to you before; but I consider myself a 1689 Federalist.
Which is, basically what the people who wrote the 1689 LBCF held to.

Samuel Rutherford’s ‘Lex Rex’ was written in 1644. He was Postmil, which was the most prominent view among the Reformers at the time.
It was also the most prominent view among the Puritans.
They focused a lot on the transformation of society, not just evangelism.
If my understanding is correct, this is a bit of a departure from Calvin’s views.

I look at the whole matter and while I do not focus so much on societal transformation like Postmils.
Yet, to me there is an element of that as well.
If Christ is King, then for the believer, that includes all their lives. From politics to whatever.
Christianity is a world view, that informs all of life.
Regardless of what I see around me, whether it looks like the Christian world view is rising or falling. I am to live life unto my Lord and Master, who is Christ the Lord.
If a Christian is a politician, their locality is first of all, to their God, as they seek to reflect that in their politics.
I am not of the view that says a Christian should not be a politician, because to be a politician they need to compromise. (This is actually the view of a good friend of mine, who actually was a politician early in his career; but left it.)
No, I believe that they should not compromise; they are to live by faith and let God take care of the results. Even if it means they are forced out of politics.

As I reflect on all this, I have found that I have been helped greatly by ministries like ‘The Highway’, Samuel Waldron
, 1689 Federalism, Founders Ministries and others.
All of which may differ on things like eschatology and how far Theonomy (not Reconstructionism) should go. However, all of them agree that the government went past their mandate in the last 4-6 years with things like Covid and Woke.

As opposed to ministries like ‘The Gospel Coalition’ who said that passages such as Romans 13 gave to right for governments to do what they did during Covid.
They went as far as to say that not obeying is not loving their neighbors.
Also that if the government tells you to wear a pinwheel hat on Tuesday. You should wear a pinwheel hat on Tuesdays.

This seems to be very prominent among Churches today. I even heard of a pastor in the town I live in who was fired for trying to counsel the congregation concerning the Covid Vaccine.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 67 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
970 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,523,836 Gospel truth