The Highway
Posted By: John_C Covenant child - Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:48 AM
Would someone be considered to be a covenant child if both parents were unbelievers, but they were baptized in a Reformed church?
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: Covenant child - Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by John_C
Would someone be considered to be a covenant child if both parents were unbelievers, but they were baptized in a Reformed church?
No... how could that be? What "covenant" would the child be associated with? It couldn't be the Covenant of Grace since neither parent is personally and intimately part of it. And what benefits would that child be privileged to since neither parent would nor is able to convey from their hearts the necessity of being reconciled to God through Christ Jesus through repentance and faith? Their prayers would not be heard since they are not God's adopted children and are living in rebellious sin before a God they hate. What "Reformed" church would ever baptize a child of unbelieving parents? scratch1
Posted By: John_C Re: Covenant child - Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:00 PM
At the time of baptism, one or both of the parents had a credible profession of faith; however over time, it became obvious they did not.

I see in an earlier thread that the term, 'credible profession' is in disregard; but how else are we to examine someone. I don't think you are, but are you saying baptized everyone (supposedly believer and infant) without any examination; then let them be a covenant breaker if that becomes the case.
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: Covenant child - Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:09 PM
Originally Posted by John_C
At the time of baptism, one or both of the parents had a credible profession of faith; however over time, it became obvious they did not.

I see in an earlier thread that the term, 'credible profession' is in disregard; but how else are we to examine someone. I don't think you are, but are you saying baptized everyone (supposedly believer and infant) without any examination; then let them be a covenant breaker if that becomes the case.
1. Question: What is a credible profession of faith? Depending upon what the examination entails, e.g., what questions are asked one could conclude that the applicant is qualified to be taken into membership when in fact they are not. Can we as mortals have an infallible knowledge of who is actually regenerate and who is not? nope But obviously, Christ gave the responsibility to Elders to have reasonable wisdom to make such a determination. Again, what the criteria is used will determine the result; bad, wrong or missing questions concerning doctrine and life will most always result in a wrong conclusion.

2. I am going to assume that the second part of your reply is not addressed to me personally because I would never, nor have I ever suggested that anyone applying to membership should not be examined by Elders. My position is akin to what Jonathan Edwards wrote about at length concerning membership in the church which doubtless the majority of people in our day would reject without hesitation. rolleyes2
© The Highway