The Highway
Posted By: Anonymous Reformed Association without hymn singing - Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:20 AM
Are there Reformed associations that prohibit or strongly discourage member churches from the singing of hymns with non-biblical texts? Or, is that something that all Reformed associations leave to the discretion of the member congregation?
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: Reformed Association without hymn singing - Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:27 PM
speratus,

There are some denominations which hold to "Exclusive Psalmody" and/or "Non-instrumentation". I'm sure someone else can give you a list of all of them. There are several members here to belong to churches which practice this. But one that comes to my mind immediately is the RCPNA (Covenanters).
Posted By: James Re: Reformed Association without hymn singing - Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:39 PM
Pilgrim means the RPCNA Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America www.rpcna.org They are the largest US body which takes this stance.

In Christ,

James.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Reformed Association without hymn singing - Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:23 PM
James,

Thanks, unfortunately the RPCNA has no congregations in TN.
Posted By: James Re: Reformed Association without hymn singing - Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:34 PM
I've drawn a blank looking at smaller exclusive psalmody denominations too. Sorry. You'll just have to sing a few hymns.

James.
© The Highway