Originally Posted by rachel
I am new to this web site and relatively new to Reformed Doctrine.

Welcome to The Highway, Rachel. grin

I said all this to ask something that has troubled me off and on. When I met Him it was or felt like the same God I knew in my heart of my childhood only I didn't know His name or His plan. How can this be if He is not able to fellowship with us until we are born again?

Well, it's certainly possible God was drawing you to Himself even then, but did not cause you to be born again until years later. It's difficult to judge such subjective experiences. It is certain, however, that before you came to faith, you were dead in sin & under the wrath of God.

I would love to ask someone I know here where I live but there are no reformed churches near me, (although we are soon moving).

If you know where you are moving, make a post in the Church Locator forum & it may be possible to locate a Reformed church for you.

Also while I have you... Doesn't Revelation seem like it says in some places (chapter3 vs 5) that it depends on our works? I love calvinisim. It is so freeing and fills me with awe at the thought He chose me and will keep me, but I get little nagging fears it is too good to be true, like when I read revelation 3-5. Thank you for your time if you care to answer me.

"He that overcometh shall thus be arrayed in white garments; and I will in no wise blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels" (Rev. 3:5, ASV).

We should note that this verse is part of the letter to the church in Sardis. It seems that many in this church were declaring themselves to have faith, but were failing to do any works indicative of their faith (vv. 1-2). They were living their lives, one might say, as "Sunday Christians," with nothing in their behavior or attitudes that was substantially different from unbelievers. Christ is warning the church in Sardis that they must strengthen what remains (v. 2) & remember what they have received & heard, or He will come to judge them (v. 3). Essentially, the church in Sardis needed to read & apply the Epistle of James to themselves, & start practicing instead of merely professing their faith! Christ goes on in vv. 4-5 to comfort those faithful believers in Sardis who have persevered in good works, demonstrating that their faith is a heartfelt reality & not empty words. I'll point out here that these are the very kind of saints of whom Christ says:

"All that which the Father giveth me shall come unto me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. For I am come down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the will of him that sent me, that of all that which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that every one that beholdeth the Son, and believeth on him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day" (Jh. 6:37-40, ASV).

Hope that helps. BigThumbUp

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.