Donations for the month of December

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Robin
Robin
Lake Park, Georgia USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,320
Posts53,340
Members964
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,069
Tom 4,075
chestnutmare 3,087
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,820
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 24
Pilgrim 19
Meta4 4
John_C 2
Robin 1
Recent Posts
Spurgeon
by Pilgrim - Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:06 PM
Nero
by Meta4 - Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:18 PM
Gracious High Priest
by NetChaplain - Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:05 PM
A Discourse on the Cleansing Virtue of Christ's Blood
by Pilgrim - Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:44 AM
Renewed Strength
by chestnutmare - Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:56 PM
Faith-Trials (Jas 1:3)
by NetChaplain - Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:20 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Theo Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
This is NOT intended to start a debate--I would simply like to know something: how do Reformed Baptists view the Lord's Supper? By that I mean do they generally hold what one would call a "memorialist" view of the Sacrament? Or would they be closer to Calvin's view (what I'd call a "spiritual presence" position)? Or does it depend on the individual Reformed Baptist?

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks and may God bless,

Theo

Theo Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
I may have answered my own question, at least in part--see chapter 30 of the 1689 London Baptist Confession at this link:

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/creeds/bcof.htm#part30

But I would still be interested in whether present-day Reformed Baptists would agree with this.

Theo

Old Hand
Old Hand
Theo said:
This is NOT intended to start a debate--I would simply like to know something: how do Reformed Baptists view the Lord's Supper? By that I mean do they generally hold what one would call a "memorialist" view of the Sacrament? Or would they be closer to Calvin's view (what I'd call a "spiritual presence" position)? Or does it depend on the individual Reformed Baptist?

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks and may God bless,

Theo

Theo typically it depends upon the individual person/congregation. I know of at least three different views in the RB groups and they seem to cover everything from the "memorial view" to the "spiritual presence" to a quasi view that seems to cover both and neither.

Personally I hold that communion like baptism are a "means of Grace" as Keach taught see here

Peter

If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself. Augustine of Hippo
Theo Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
Pete,

Thanks so much for that link--it is a really good resource! I had not realized before that Reformed Baptists could vary that much (THREE different views?) but then now that I think about it Anglicans are the same way. They can range from outright transubstantiation to consubstantiation to a view much like Calvin's. (I'm not sure I have ever heard of an Anglican "memorialist" unless John Stott comes close to that.)

Again, thanks so much.

Theo

Addict
Addict
Theo
I'm not Baptist or Presbyterian. Above all I consider myself a Christian.
Here is a comparison of sections contained in the 1646 WCF and the 1689 LBCF.

1646 WCF
2. In this [color:"FF0000"]sacrament[/color] Christ is not offered up to his Father, nor any real sacrifice made at all for remission of sins of the quick or dead, but a [color:"0000FF"]commemoration[/color] of that one offering up of himself, by himself, upon the cross, once for all, and a spiritual oblation of all possible praise unto God for the same; so that the Popish sacrifice of the mass, as they call it, is most [color:"0000FF"]abominably [/color] injurious to Christ's [color:"FF0000"]one, only [/color] sacrifice, the alone propitiation for all the sins of the elect.

1689 LBCF
2. In this [color:"FF0000"]ordinance[/color] Christ is not offered up to his Father, nor any real sacrifice made at all for remission of sin of the quick or dead, but only a [color:"0000FF"]memorial[/color] of that one offering up of himself by himself upon the cross, once for all; and a spiritual oblation of all possible praise unto God for the same. So that the popish sacrifice of the mass, as they call it, is most [color:"0000FF"]abominable[/color], injurious to Christ's [color:"FF0000"]own[/color] sacrifice the alone propitiation for all the sins of the elect.

The church we attend is a reformed Baptist church that holds to this part of the confession.
William

Theo Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
William,

Thank you so much for this! It is really helpful to see the side-by-side comparison of the two doctrinal statements--I had not realized the wording was practically identical except for the word "sacrament" being changed to "ordinance". (That was the change that caught my eye.) I had been curious about this since most Southern Baptists I knew would really seem to be "memorialist" and it had only recently occurred to me that there might be OTHER positions held by Baptists.

I appreciate your help!

Theo

Plebeian
Plebeian
hi Theo,

I am a Reformed Baptist that attends a Presbyterian Church, but a RB congregation that I used to attend held the 1689 confession as its creed, and represented the Lord's Supper as it is written there: as a memorial only, but an important means of grace nonetheless.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 34 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
atdcross, NetChaplain, winslowlady, Zach, Daverogk
964 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,303,324 Gospel truth