Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#42752 Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:41 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
I just got back from a 4-day vacation to Panama City Beach. One day I was wearing The Highway t-shirt I got a couple of years ago - Isaiah 35:8 one. A friend asked me to explain the verse on it. I read it closely for the first time (I think) and the last phrase on the t-shirt is confusing. I look at both the NASB and ESV translations and it does seem confusing. Please tell me what I am mis-reading.

t-shirt
"And a highway shall be there, and a road, And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, But it shall be for others. Whoever walks on the road, although a fool, Shall not go astray."
(Isaiah 35:8)

ESV
"And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness. The unclean will not journey on it; It will be for those who walk in that Way; wicked fools will not go about on it."

NASB
"And a highway will be there, a roadway, And it will be called the Highway to Holiness. The unclean will not travel on it, But it will be for him who walks that way, And fools will not wander on it."

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #42753 Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:07 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
John,

You are not "mis-reading", but simply being confronted with differences in translations. The one on the t-shirt is, I believe, from the NKJV.

Here are some O.T. scholars' translations of the passage:

Originally Posted by E.J. Young
"And there shall be a highway and a way, and it shall be called the way of holiness, and there will not pass through it the unclean, and it will be for them; the traveller and the fools will not err*."

*In other words, the way is so clearly defined that even a fool could not venture off it.
Originally Posted by H.C. Leopold
"And a highway shall be there and a road; and it shall be called the Holy Way, and an unclean person shall not pass over it; but it shall belong to those. He that passes along this road, though inexperienced, shall not err therein."
Originally Posted by Keil-Delitsch
"And a highway rises there, and a road, and it will be called the Holy Road; no unclean man will pass along it, as it is appointed for them: whoever walks the road, even simple ones do not go astray."
Okay, so does this help? giggle

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #42757 Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:22 PM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Okay, so does this help? giggle

Thanks. It helps me, but I am not sure if it would help my friend asking about the verse. I really do not know how to describe his biblical leanings except to say he definitely does not use systematics in his understandings. He takes things fairly literally and somewhat in isolation so the 'fools will not go astray' really threw him a curve. I read the verse from my NASB and it helped him.

On the subject of systematics, can someone understand the Bible without having a systematic, even a non-Reformed one?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #42758 Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:54 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
On the subject of systematics, can someone understand the Bible without having a systematic, even a non-Reformed one?
EVERYONE has a systematic (theology) who has read anything of the Bible and then has a "view" on a biblical subject. For example, if you asked someone, 'Who is Jesus Christ?' if they answer then they have a formulated Christology, albeit perhaps rudimentary. To reject the notable Systematic Theologies, e.g., Hodge, Calvin (Institutes of the Christian Religion), Dabney, Kersten, Berkhof, Shedd, Strong, Hoeksema, and others and formulate your own is sheer arrogance and an exercise in futility. Inventing the wheel is no easy task. wink

It is not unusual to hear someone brag that they don't adhere or even recognize any "Creed". But they are more than willing to tell you what they believe (aka: creedo). So, in essence they do hold to a creed; their own. giggle

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C #42765 Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:15 PM
Addict
Addict

Someone can understand the essentials of the Christian faith but creeds and cofessions promote a better unity within the church and keep her from swerving to the left or to the right, IF strictly adheared to and IF God the Holy Spirit is pleased to dwell there.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

BELGIC CONFESSION OF FAITH (1561)

Basically , the Belgic Confession of Faith follows what has become the traditional doctrinal order of Reformed systematic theology: the doctrines of God (theology proper, articles 1-11), man (ahthropology, articels 12-15), Christ (Christology, articles 16-21), salvation (soteriolgy, articles 22-26), and the last things (eschatology, articel 37). Articel 36 addresses the theocratic nature of civil government. Though it follows an objective doctrinal order, the confession has a warm, experiential, personal spirit, helped by its repeated use of the pronoun we

HEIDELBERG CATECHISM (1563)

The Heidelberg Catechism's 129 questions and answers are divided into three parts, patterned after the book of Romans. After a moving introduction about the true believer"s comfort, questions 3-11 cover the experience of sin and misery (Rom. 1-3:20); Questions 12-85 cover redemption in Christ and Faith (Rom. 3:21-11:36), along with a lengthly exposition of the Apostles Creed and the sacraments; questions 86-129 cover true gratitude for God's deliverence (Romans. 12-16), primarily through a study of the Ten Commandments and the Lord's prayer. The catechism presents doctrines with clarity and warmth. Its content is more subjective than objective, more spiritual than dogmatic. Not surprisingly, this personal, devotional catechism, as exemplified by its use of singular pronouns, has been called "the book of comfort" for Christians,

CANONS OF DORDT (1618-1619)

. . . the canons, which thoroughly rejected the Remonstrance of 1610 and scripturally set forth the Reformed doctrine on the debated points. These points, known as the five points of Calvinism, are: unconditional election, limited atonement, total depravity, irresistible grace, and the perseverance of the saints. Though these points do not represent all of Calvinism and are better regarded as Calvinism's five answers to the five errors of Arminianism, . . .

From "REFORMED CONFESSIONS HARMONIZED" Beeke & Ferguson
http://www.heritagebooks.org/bookst...0eoqstgkktq717v9d5ts2hn0&x=0&y=0

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Have a good Lord's day,
William

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth