Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#46998 Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:35 PM
rachel Offline OP
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me some input into a problem I am having and have had off and on. When I read the bible or any book and it speaks of the amazing attributes of God, such as His Holiness or Supremacy above all else, a really blasphemous thought comes into my mind. I am horrified and feel so bad. I ask God to take that little voice away,or to forgive me if it is something I don't see in my own heart, and sometimes it goes away, sometimes not. It seems the more horrified I am the worse it becomes. I don't think it is me because I do love the Lord very much. Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and what is the best way to handle it. Thanks so much, Rachel
P.S.I got R.C Sproul's The Holiness of God", it is wonderful, thanks

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by rachel
I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me some input into a problem I am having and have had off and on. When I read the bible or any book and it speaks of the amazing attributes of God, such as His Holiness or Supremacy above all else, a really blasphemous thought comes into my mind. I am horrified and feel so bad....
Rachel,

Welcome to the sheepfold of those who have been transformed by the working of the Holy Spirit. Christ's sheep having a new nature which loves God and desires to please Him in thought, word and deed ALL experience these types of thoughts. Because of this new nature, the remnants of the old nature (man), there is a constant war that is waged within and without (cf. Romans 7). While we suffer much guilt when these thoughts come, whether from our own remaining sin or from the influence of the 'powers of darkness', we must forever rest in the fact that there is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus (Rom 5ff; 8:1). ALL.... ALL our sins have been atoned for and thus nothing, no not even such blasphemous thoughts, can separate us from the One who called us and who declared us not guilty. Remember also that we have an advocate with the Father (1Jh 2:1) who ever makes intercession for us (Heb 7:25). He too was tempted in all ways such as we, yet without sin (Heb 2:18; 4:15). He knows our frame; He remembers we are but dust (Ps 103:14).

Therefore, we press on toward the goal unto the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus (Phil 3:14). And, "For our light affliction, which is for the moment, worketh for us more and more exceedingly an eternal weight of glory;" (2Cor 4:17)

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
rachel Offline OP
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
Did you see satan run out the door screaming how much he hated you and this site? Hmmmm- I did.... Rachel

The Boy Wonder
The Boy Wonder
Hi Rachel,

One scripture which always helps meis Galatians 5:16.

...walk by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.

It's not telling us what NOT to do ("don't you dare carry out those evil desires!"), but telling what TO do. The result is that we avoid the wrong thing.

Go East and you won't go West. Tell the truth, and you can't be lying. Think on things that are pure and lovely and praiseworthy and you won't dwell on evil things.

I know that's kinda oversimplified, but what I'm trying to say is that God has provided us not only instruction for purity, but the nature to live purely as well. Paul writes,

Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh (Galatians 3:3)?

Obviously, no. Here's a trick question I usually ask in an evangelistic endeavor, but it applies every bit as much to sanctification:

True or false: Salvation is based on perfect obedience to the Ten Commandments.

ANSWER: True!

But not our obedience, HIS obedience! The Lord Jesus was our Substitute in life as well as in death and resurrection. His obedience is accounted to us! Now it is our privilege and pleasure to render obedience as He gives us the grace to do so, even knowing that in these frail corrupt bodies in a corrupt culture we fail so often in thought, word, and deed.

REST, my sister, in His obedience, in the knowledge that He will finish what He has begun - recreating us in the image of His Son.

A work in progress until the resurrection,
Robin

AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hey Rachel,

Do not distress, this problem is more common then you think. I have heard of many Godly people who have cursed God in their mind, usually involuntarily or against their spiritual wills. This is one of the things that have usually brought these people in sorrow and humility before God, making them more dependent upon God's mercy and forgiveness. Even people as far back as John Bunyan have struggled with these types of inner conflicts. Never despair of God's mercy and grace. I know there are many good books on Spiritual Warfare that may help you. Also, try not to become to fixated on this because it can become a vicious cycle. If you feel it is becoming obsessive and you are becoming anxious/depressed there are medications to help with that. But take heart that God knows those that love Him and Jesus' blood has covered all transgressions and the natural enmity that lies in the flesh of the old man in whom we still dwell.

Also, remember Paul's struggles detailed in Romans 7

Originally Posted by rachel
I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me some input into a problem I am having and have had off and on. When I read the bible or any book and it speaks of the amazing attributes of God, such as His Holiness or Supremacy above all else, a really blasphemous thought comes into my mind. I am horrified and feel so bad. I ask God to take that little voice away,or to forgive me if it is something I don't see in my own heart, and sometimes it goes away, sometimes not. It seems the more horrified I am the worse it becomes. I don't think it is me because I do love the Lord very much. Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and what is the best way to handle it. Thanks so much, Rachel
P.S.I got R.C Sproul's The Holiness of God", it is wonderful, thanks

The mercy of God is necessary not only when a person repents, but even to lead him to repent, Augustine

AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
AND NEVER FORGET PRAYER, Praying & meditating on scriptures are great medicine and can be a replacement for sinful thoughts....the blasphamous thoughts may still come but allow them to go as quickly as they come while meditating on things that are pure and holy!

The mercy of God is necessary not only when a person repents, but even to lead him to repent, Augustine

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Rachel,

First of all I want to say thank you for this posting. It takes a measure of courage to lay your mind before others especially in matters of this nature. As you have seen here, you are not alone and it is an awesome reminder to myself as well. I have found in my own mind/heart or whatever it is, that clinging dearly to what the Scripture says has been key to defeating some of those thoughts, while others have and continue to plague my mind; sometimes more intensely than others.

In those intense times I continually plead with the Father to deliver me from such thoughts by renewing my mind with His word. I plead with Christ to firmly root & establish my heart - my soul in Himself by the Holy Spirit, through the Word. It is ONLY by faith that I believe that it will be so. While now, even as most recently as tonight and most of the day today sigh I don't see the answers to those prayers, I still place my hope in Him, and not my head.

Bless you in every way...

tj
"-that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection..."
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
As I was thinking about this thread, what came to mind is a blog I read not more than 15 minutes ago.
It is called 'Talk to Yourself', and it is based on quotes from Martyn Lloyd-Jones book 'Spiritual Depression- Its Causes and its Cure'.

http://www.challies.com/quotes/talk-to-yourself

Tom

rachel Offline OP
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
Have to say thank you to all of you who replied. After reading these the thoughts are about 90% better! Just to know other christians have struggled with it is so relieving. I suppose that is why confessing your sins one to another is so important, even if they are not willful sins. I do love my brethren even when I have yet to see them in person.
Rachel

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Meta4), 96 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,510,764 Gospel truth