Donations for the month of January

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,367
Posts53,540
Members968
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,120
Tom 4,120
chestnutmare 3,100
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,823
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 35
Tom 33
jta 26
Robin 2
Meta4 2
Recent Posts
Charismatics and Government Vaccine Mandates
by Tom - Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:43 PM
News Media in Canada
by Tom - Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:50 PM
Where are they now?
by Pilgrim - Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:24 AM
Like Father, Like Son
by NetChaplain - Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:15 PM
The Great Reset
by Pilgrim - Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:44 AM
Bill C-4 and Jan. 16th, 2022
by Tom - Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
As reading thru John Gill and AA Strong, any other ones?

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by JesusFan
As reading thru John Gill and AA Strong, any other ones?
Louis Berkhof's Systematic Theology... or the simplified Manual of Christian Doctrine, or the basic version Summary of Christian Doctrine. And, I would be remiss if I didn't highly recommend John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion (Ford Lewis Battles edition)

Be careful reading through John Gill. wink

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
Berkhof is not a reformed Baptist is he? Maybe I miss understood the header on 'reformed Baptist'.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
Berkhof is not a reformed Baptist is he? Maybe I miss understood the header on 'reformed Baptist'.
Berkhof is not a Reformed Baptist. And maybe "I" misunderstood the question?? shrug Regardless, Berkhof is one of the best systematic theology text books on the Reformed Faith and I'm certain that anyone will benefit from reading him. grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
I have read him, also Hodge, but was wondering about any other reformed baptist than Gill and Strong?

Addict
OP Offline
Addict
How about the ones by either John Frame or Michael Horton?

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
How about the ones by either John Frame or Michael Horton?
Avoid John Frame!! nono He was one of my professors in seminary and he is fraught with errors, especially his heretical concept of "multi-perspectivalism".

Michael Horton is a mixed bag, so to speak. He is solid on some things but not so on others, e.g., "Republication".

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I have read him, also Hodge, but was wondering about any other reformed baptist than Gill and Strong?
scratchchin You have read through Berkhof's Systematic Theology and Charles Hodges' 3-vol Systematic Theology??

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
What are those 2 concepts that you brought up here? "multi-perspectivalism".
"Republication

So best to stay with the older theologians than?

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
What are those 2 concepts that you brought up here? "multi-perspectivalism".
"Republication

So best to stay with the older theologians than?
1. "Multi-perspectivalism": briefly it is the idea that a particular passage in Scripture can be interpreted (vs. applied) in various ways on the basis of one's "perspective". And thus even though these various interpretations are contradictory, they can still be said to be true.

2. "Republication": briefly, that in the OT there was some 'merit' accrued by Israel before God according to their obedience to a command. This Republication/Two Kingdom model was popularized by the late Meredith Kline. Many have objected and rejected this view and it is currently being 'investigated/deliberated' by committee(s) within the OPC.

Re: reading older writers. Generally speaking, yes. Most of the Reformers and published Puritans are worthy of reading and far more reliable than most all modern writers. There have been some very excellent modern authors, however, e.g., Berkhof, Hendriksen, the early R.C. Sproul Sr., John Gerstner, and some others.

Remember, there is nothing "new" under the sun. But the old heresies that were introduced into the Church repeat themselves throughout generations and often taken different forms in order to deceive. Each successive generation needs to be alert and discerning and guard against these heresies. That is one of the main benefits of being Confessional. The old Evangelical Creeds and the Reformation confessions & catechisms are safeguards for the Church.

Last edited by Pilgrim; Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:17 AM.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
I read those, as well as Dr Grudem and dr Erickson before becoming one who now rests in Reformed theology, so tak about interesting reading, as was a Pentacostal moving into Dispy Baptist at that time!

After all that, got around to Calvin and His institutes...

Last edited by JesusFan; Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:40 PM.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I read those, as well as Dr Grudem and dr Erickson before becoming one who now rests in Reformed theology, so tak about interesting reading, as was a Pentacostal moving into Dispy Baptist at that time!

After all that, got around to Calvin and His institutes...
Soooooo, with all that reading how is it that you appear to have so little grasp of the essential doctrines of Reformed Theology, e.g., soverignty, free-agency, predestination, gospel, true conversion, etc.? scratch1

Berkhof especially covers these basic topics in great detail as does Strong and Hodge.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
Grudem has gotten into trouble recently with his views on ESS.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
I notice that RC Sproul has changed a few if his views in recent years, but besides in the area of eschatology were there other changes as well. Would you say early RC Sproul would be before 2000. Seems as if his son has had a negative impact on in some of his theology.

John Chaney

Addict
OP Offline
Addict
That would be due to several factors, such as was not formally trained in reformed theology in a school, but more reading andpicking up on my own, being a Pentacostal during some of that time, and trying to seperate myself from the heavy Dispy teaching also grew up on once saved.

So would see myself at present as one still learning much of this, and as one who holds to reformed and Baptist viewpoints, almost like a Covenant premil for lack of a better term!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 28 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John E, ManassehAmerican, jta, DiscipleEddie, atdcross
968 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
January
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,316,299 Gospel truth