Originally Posted by John Flavel
Chapter XI: The Love of God, as a Resting-Place to Believing Souls in Evil Times

Opening the sixth and last chamber, viz. The love of God, as a resting-place to believing souls in evil times.

Sect. I. THOUGH all the attributes in the name or chambers of this house of God are glorious and excellent, yet this of love is transcendently glorious: Of this room it may be said as it was of Solomon's royal chariot, Cant. 3:10. “The midst thereof is paved with love.” In this attribute the glory of God is signally and eminently manifested, 1 John 4:9, 10. And upon this foundation the hopes and comforts of all believers are built and founded, Rom. 8:35. “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?” He defies and despises them all, because neither of them alone, nor altogether by their united strength, can unclasp the arms of Divine love, in which belivers are safely enfolded. In this attribute God's people, by faith, entrench themselves, and of it a believer saith, Hic murus aheneus esto, this shall be my stronghold and fortress in the day of trouble. And well may we so esteem and reckon it, if we consider,

It should be obvious that we are living in an especially 'evil time' albeit the worst is yet to come upon this earth and upon the unbelieving church. Thus, I thought Flavel's section of his book, The Righteous Man's Refuge would be a source of much encouragement and hope for the true people of God in our present hour. Flavel, as was certainly true of many of his contemporaries who were of like mind, knew deeply of the greatness of God, His mercy and grace, and of His marvelous love for His own, having called them from darkness into light and rescued them from certain judgment due to their sins. The Lord Jesus made many promises that spoke to these matters, such as, "and I will not lose one" (Jh 6:39), "Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Lk 12:32. And the Apostle Paul also spoke in detailed terms "What then shall we say to these things? If God [is] for us, who [is] against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not also with him freely give us all things?...For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Rom 8:31,32,38,39).

Regardless how bleak and troublesome it appears to the Christian, know that God has ordained all these things AND His love will secure all of them through such trials and tribulations and bestow upon them the glory of a new body to live with Him on the New Heaven and Earth forever.

You can read this Article of the Month for October by clicking here: The Righteous Man's Refuge.

For later reading, visit The Highway website and click on the "Article of the Month" logo.

In His service and grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]