Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,788
Posts54,920
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,529
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 13
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
#595 Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:46 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>5) What comfort, if any, does this knowledge give you?<br><br>Scott replies: I do not seek "comfort," I only seek to know, love and serve my Lord in this world so that I may live happily with Him in eternity. <p><hr></blockquote><p>Scott, this is passing strange! According to your seemingly humble statement, your only goal in life is to know, love and serve your Lord, yet you apparently don't <font class="big">know</font> what He has said about how He views your righteousness in His sight: either your utter lack of it apart from faith in Christ, or [color:blue]the righteousness of Christ Himself credited to you</font color=blue> through faith in Christ?<br><br>That word "comfort" should be appropriated in its Scriptural sense rather than its shallow modern sense; it is no trifle to be lightly dismissed, but absolutely essential for all who must stand before the Thrice-Holy Jehovah. In that day, Scott, is your comfort going to be in what your zeal has accomplished?<br><br>

In Christ,
Paul S
Paul_S #596 Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:25 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Paul writes: That seems to be a clever, safe answer, Scott, but by replying in that manner you are in danger of denying the Word of God which has been revealed from heaven to you, so that you, with all men, are without excuse.<br><br>If your faith IS NOT IN Christ, then you have no righteousness in God's sight: "There is no one righteous, not even one...no one will be declared righteous in His sight by observing the law."<br><br>If your faith IS IN Christ, then you have been declared righteous in God's sight: "to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness...since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ...Who has become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption."<br><br>Which of these describes you, Scott? <br> <br>[color:purple]Scott replies: I'll not fall into your black and white fallacy - nice try. Make note Paul, your references are contrasting works of the law to attain righteousness or grace wherein righteousness is given us. Your initial question seemed to me to be a trap - and regardless of which way I answered it, you would have found fault with it. The fact is that if such righteousness is given me, then it is Christ's righteousness, not mine to be proud of. I am dirt, I am nothing, I deserve nothing from God - but God in His Mercy has provided for me a means of grace. So, if I were to speculate and pretend to have God's Eyes, then looking at me - I am dirt, I am nothing - but if I am given the righteousness of Christ - then when God looks at me, He will not see me - but Christ.<br> <br>Now, do I make the bold, prideful or presumptuous claim that I am Christ? No, by no means! If I make it to the Wedding Feast, then I will sit myself at the lowest place, and IF I am invited up to a higher place than someone else, THEN I will be thankful and honored by His Grace - but I do not presume I am "higher" than anyone else, here and now, I'll let my Lord decide that.<br> <br>As for your question about my righteousness being higher than the Pharisees: I assume you mean this verse: <blockquote>[color:red]Mat5:20 For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.</font color=red></blockquote> The context of that verse is not about us claiming righteousness greater than the Pharisees - it's about grace verses works of the law. In the context of this verse - we should not be claiming such righteousness at all! Rather, we should be reliant on His Grace - and that is the message of the context of Matthew 5:20.<br> <br>In JMJ,<br> <br>Scott<<<<br></font color=purple><br> <br>

#597 Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:48 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:

but God in His Mercy has provided for me a means of grace.

I marvel at this statement of yours for my local JW's, who are regular visitors to my house and who came to visit again today, make the same statement about their salvation. It's interesting how there are so many variations of semi-Pelagianism in the world, but that their views of salvation are so much alike.

But regardless, what is unquestionably true is that you believe that God in His mercy has provided a "means of grace", where I believe that the Scriptures emphatically teach that God actually and infallible "saves by grace"!! There are "means" used by God to call a sinner to Christ, but it is grace and grace alone, Sola Gratia that truly saves apart from any contribution that man could possibly do. Salvation is a monergistic work of God by its very nature; thus grace! You can use the word grace all you like, but we both know that your grace is ineffectual for as you have already stated, it is only a "means" which you must use to secure your alleged salvation. Baptizing works of any kind can never make them into grace. It's grace alone or it's not grace at all, as Paul clearly has written. (Rom 9:11; Eph 2:9)

Galatians 2:16-19 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, [is] therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God."
In His GRACE,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#598 Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:45 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Your initial question seemed to me to be a trap - and regardless of which way I answered it, you would have found fault with it.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Scott, you presume much! You earlier claimed ignorance of God's view of your righteousness, even though, as you know, He has clearly revealed that in His word; but now you are claiming to know what I would have done in a situation before it occurred! <br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The fact is that if such righteousness is given me, then it is Christ's righteousness, not mine to be proud of.<p><hr></blockquote><p> Who said anything about being proud of an alien righteousness, Scott? Not me! The question was: In God's sight, does your righteousness exceed that of.... The Scriptural view, which you seem to reject, is that [color:blue]the righteousness of Christ, which alone exceeds all others, IS RECKONED UNTO BELIEVERS AS THEIR OWN</font color=blue>. <br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I am dirt, I am nothing, I deserve nothing from God<p><hr></blockquote><p>Well, not totally true. What about: everlasting condemnation, wrath and anger, trouble and distress (Romans 2:8-9)? <br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Now, do I make the bold, prideful or presumptuous claim that I am Christ? No, by no means!<p><hr></blockquote><p>But you apparently have no problem with the bold, prideful and presumptuous, [color:purple]non-black and white fallacy</font color=purple> that God's eternal acceptance of you requires [color:purple]something more, less or other than</font color=purple> <font class="big">[color:white]the perfect righteousness of Christ reckoned to you and counted as yours in God's own sight</font color=white></font>.<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Then I will sit myself at the lowest place, and IF I am invited up to a higher place than someone else, THEN I will be thankful and honored by His Grace<p><hr></blockquote><p>You seem to have it all planned out pretty well for someone who does not claim to believe what the Scripture clearly teaches about justification and imputed righteousness!<br><br>Scott, true humility cannot be found apart from embracing both the Bad News of the Law and the Good News of the Gospel. From what you have said, I fear you have too low a view of both. This humility, this meekness, would never dream of thinking it a boast to own the righteousness of Christ, for it knows that such a gift comes totally, undeservedly from God alone; rather it would boast in the giver of that gift, and boldly rejoice in His salvation.<br><br>[color:blue]God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; <br>God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong;<br>He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--<br>to nullify the things that are,<br>so that no one may boast before Him.<br>It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus,<br>who has become for us wisdom from God--<br>that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.<br>Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."</font color=blue> (1 Corinthians 1:27-31)

In Christ,
Paul S
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Paul writes::<br>In reply to:<br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Your initial question seemed to me to be a trap - and regardless of which way I answered it, you would have found fault with it.<br><br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Scott, you presume much! You earlier claimed ignorance of God's view of your righteousness, even though, as you know, He has clearly revealed that in His word; but now you are claiming to know what I would have done in a situation before it occurred! <br><br>[color:purple]Scott replies: No Paul, I said it seemed to be a trap. And what God has clearly revealed in His Word is that Jesus has become our righteousness, He is righteousness for us. </font color=purple><br><br><br>In reply to:<br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>The fact is that if such righteousness is given me, then it is Christ's righteousness, not mine to be proud of.<br><br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Who said anything about being proud of an alien righteousness, Scott? Not me! The question was: In God's sight, does your righteousness exceed that of.... <br><br>[color:purple]Scott replies: I answered that Paul. I said that in reference to the context of Matt 5:20 (where you obviously got your question) that I don't claim ANY such righteousness! Paul, before you respond again - read the context of Matt 5:20 and see what I'm talking about. The context here is not about us attempting to claim ANY righteousness, rather to be totally reliant on the Grace of Christ Jesus! <br></font color=purple><br><br>The Scriptural view, which you seem to reject, is that the righteousness of Christ, which alone exceeds all others, IS RECKONED UNTO BELIEVERS AS THEIR OWN. <br><br>[color:purple]Scott replies: Again Paul, I plead to God for His Mercy and ask His Son to wash me in His Blood that I may be saved. Outside of THAT, there is no hope for my salvation. </font color=purple><br><br>In reply to:<br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>I am dirt, I am nothing, I deserve nothing from God<br><br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Well, not totally true. What about: everlasting condemnation, wrath and anger, trouble and distress (Romans 2:8-9)? <br><br>[color:purple]Scott replies: Well, I am not sure of what you're asking so let's look at the context:<br><blockquote>[color:red]<br>Rom 2:1 Wherefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest. For wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself. For thou dost the same things which thou judgest. <br>Rom 2:2 For we know that the judgment of God is, according to truth, against them that do such things. <br>Rom 2:3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them who do such things and dost the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God? <br>Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and patience and longsuffering? Knowest thou not that the benignity of God leadeth thee to penance? <br>Rom 2:5 But according to thy hardness and impenitent heart, thou treasurest up to thyself wrath, against the day of wrath and revelation of the just judgment of God: <br>Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his works. <br>Rom 2:7 To them indeed who, according to patience in good work, seek glory and honour and incorruption, eternal life: <br>Rom 2:8 But to them that are contentious and who obey not the truth but give credit to iniquity, wrath and indignation. <br>Rom 2:9 Tribulation and anguish upon every soul of man that worketh evil: of the Jew first, and also of the Greek. <br>Rom 2:10 But glory and honour and peace to every one that worketh good: to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. <br>Rom 2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God. <br>Rom 2:12 For whosoever have sinned without the law shall perish without the law: and whosoever have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law. </font color=red></blockquote><br><br>So Paul, more of what you're referring to refers to "works of the law." Sorry, but you're failing to make your point - or if you have made your point, it's not a very good one. If anything, this reference in Scripture supports what I am saying.</font color=purple><br><br>In reply to:<br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Now, do I make the bold, prideful or presumptuous claim that I am Christ? No, by no means!<br><br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>But you apparently have no problem with the bold, prideful and presumptuous, non-black and white fallacy that God's eternal acceptance of you requires something more, less or other than the perfect righteousness of Christ reckoned to you and counted as yours in God's own sight.<br><br>[color:purple]Scott replies: Paul, how am I being bold, proud or presumptuous in relying solely on the Grace of Jesus Christ and His Righteousness for my salvation? <br> <br>Secondly, there is no such thing as the "non-black and white fallacy" so that statement was either a mistyped comment or an uneducated statement. Well, "technically" there IS such a thing - for ALL fallacies that are not the black and white fallacy would be non-black and white fallacies. So, you could have mistyped or you could have made an uneducated assertion - or - you could be making a statement about every fallacy that is not the black and white fallacy, the latter being a rather nonsensical statement.<br><br>Thirdly here, yes! "the righteousness of Christ that is reckoned TO me..." I have no problem with that statement. I DO have a problem with the statement, taken almost verbatim from Matt 5:20, asking ME how *I* think God views MY righteousness. Again, MY righteousness is nothing, it is even OFFENSIVE to God, outside the state of Grace in Christ Jesus. Again, I ask you to read or reread the context of Matt 5:20 before responding further. I think you'll see that you've extracted your question to me from a point in Scripture that speaks out AGAINST righteousness (of works of the law) and FOR Grace for Christ Jesus.<br><br>In JMJ,<br> <br>Scott<<<<br></font color=purple> <br>

#600 Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:39 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Scott,<br>You are so completely and consistently missing the point of my earlier questions concerning your righteousness in God's sight that further discourse seems unprofitable. Any person who has despaired of believing that their own righteousness is an essential factor in satisfying the perfect justice of God, and has been granted saving faith in the perfect imputation of the perfect righteousness of Christ to their own person, would be able to answer those questions without hesitation. Your refusal, or inability, to do so speaks volumes about where your own ultimate confidence lies.<br><br>For the record, your prescience that I would find fault with whatever answer you gave (among "yes" or "no"), is simply, flatly, wrong. If you had been truly able to say merely "no", I would have gladly pointed you to the righteousness of Christ; if you had been truly able to say merely "yes", I would have gladly encouraged you to keep clinging to the righteousness of Christ as your only "comfort" (oh, how I pray you learn the meaning of the word) and your sole boast. But since you apparently were unable to do either without equivocating and ignoring the Scriptures, and, infinitely more importantly, since you cling to a system which knowingly promotes a non-Gospel, there is really nothing left to say beyond the Lord Christ's own words, which remain a testimony against your doctrine of self-righteousness:<br><br>For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.<br>Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Last edited by Paul_S; Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:50 PM.

In Christ,
Paul S
Paul_S #601 Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
[color:purple]Paul,<br> <br>I precisely caught your point, you seem to have missed mine. I fully agree that IF you're pointing to Christ's righteousness - then it certainly surpasses that of the Pharisees. However, Matt 5:20 is not talking about Christ's righteousness, is it? That's the point you seem to be missing. The context of Matt 5:20 is talking about rejecting works of the law and submitting one's self to the Grace of Christ. You had to jump around to other points of Scripture to make your point, but the context of Matt 5:20 does not support the point you have been attempting to make - and in fact, supports the position I took.<br> <br>For the record: I submit that the context of Matt 5:20, from which you (Paul) took your initial question, does not support adherence to any righteousness - for the context is condemnatious of attempting to acquire righteousness in accordance with the law, like the Pharisees attempted to do. And unless one fulfills the law even more than the Pharisees, one would not enter the kingdom of heaven. THAT is the point of Matt 5:20 (and context). Do you admit that much yet? If not, I agree, further discourse seems unprofitable.<br> <br>In JMJ,<br> <br>Scott<<<<br></font color=purple>

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
[color:purple]Pilgrim, your quotation from Gal 2:16-19 only furthers my point to Paul_S - again noting St. Paul is talking about "works of the law" again - which was my point of clarification for Paul_S. Matt 5:20 also mentions such "works" for righteousness - and thus is completely consistent with the answers I provided Paul_S.<br> <br>Thank you.<br> <br>In JMJ,<br> <br>Scott<<<<br></font color=purple>

#603 Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:24 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Cathapol,

In reply to:

Pilgrim, your quotation from Gal 2:16-19 only furthers my point to Paul_S - again noting St. Paul is talking about "works of the law" again . . .

Well, I have to second Paul)_S's remarks previously made that you didn't get the point at all. However, I'm not at all surprised that you didn't. grin Your RC theology demands that you reject any accusation of adhering to synergism (aka: works). I have heard this lament far too many times; i.e., "We don't believe in salvation by works, but by grace! The works we do are done while being in a state of grace, etc., blah, blah, blah."

It makes no difference where the works come from or in what state a person is in when they are done. They are still that which MUST be done and are complemental to grace. Thus a work by any other name is still a work. :rolleyes1: Even God's grace is of works; Christ's vicarious substitutionary work imputed to those who believe. It's either ALL OF GRACE; i.e., Christ's work! or it's synergism. That's what Paul_S was driving home and likewise myself. "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees . . .", which illustration was used by Christ to show the futility of man contributing anything to his salvation, with or without "grace". You are either declared righteous on the basis of Christ's substitutionary work (atonement) and thus inherit eternal life at the moment you believe, or you reject His work and add to it. It is grace that saves at the moment that faith reaches out to Christ.

Romans 8:1 "[There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (cf. Rom 4:7; 5:1; 7:14-25; Jh 3:18; 5:24; Gal 3:13; et al)
We, the sons of God and of the Reformation rejoice in our Saviour, Who has procured ALL that is necessary for our redemption. There is NOTHING we need do but rest in Him and His sufficient atonement.
1 Corinthians 1:23-31 "But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, [yea], and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord."
"Salvation is of the LORD!" Jonah 2:9

In His GRACE,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #604 Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:07 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Dear Pilgrim,<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>It's interesting how there are so many variations of semi-Pelagianism in the world, but that their views of salvation are so much alike.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Maybe I shouldn't say this--it may further my reputation for setting black-and-white fallacious traps[Linked Image]--but I have to keep a strangle-hold on the most basic of revealed truths: <br><br>There are really only two [color:green]"faiths"</font color=green> in the world, rooted in only two [color:purple]reckonings of righteousness</font color=purple>: <br>[color:red]that of religious, but nevertheless unrighteous Cain ,</font color=red> <br>[color:blue]and that of believing, and therefore reckoned righteous, Abel.</font color=blue>

In Christ,
Paul S
Paul_S #605 Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:13 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Paul,

Couldn't agree more.... !! BigThumbUp

And that's what I was saying, only in a round about way also concerning the myriad varieties of semi-Pelagianism that exist yet their doctrine of salvation is basically the same. Here's an excellent article that expounds on the truth you mentioned: There are Only Two Religions in the World!.

In His Marvelous Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Pilgrim said: It makes no difference where the works come from or in what state a person is in when they are done. They are still that which MUST be done and are complemental to grace. Thus a work by any other name is still a work. Even God's grace is of works; Christ's vicarious substitutionary work imputed to those who believe. It's either ALL OF GRACE; i.e., Christ's work! or it's synergism. That's what Paul_S was driving home and likewise myself. "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees . . .", which illustration was used by Christ to show the futility of man contributing anything to his salvation, with or without "grace". You are either declared righteous on the basis of Christ's substitutionary work (atonement) and thus inherit eternal life at the moment you believe, or you reject His work and add to it. It is grace that saves at the moment that faith reaches out to Christ.<br> <br>[color:purple]Scott replies: Pilgrim, it appears that you too have not followed the point I raised with Paul_S. I realize you've been taught that Catholics practice a works/salvation system - and I realize it's difficult to admit that all those who preach that nonsense are wrong - but that doesn't change the fact that they are wrong. I clearly laid out and echoed what the context of: "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees . . ." was, and that was that St. Paul was preaching against [color:red]works of the law</font color=red>. That, in fact, is the focal point of nearly all of St. Paul's references to "works," but especially this one. Catholicism is not about "works of the law" but, "works done in the state of grace." It goes without saying that grace preceeds such works. What is faith without works? Can such a faith save you? Please, answer me that.<br> <br>Try as hard as you want to apply "works of the law" to "works done in the state of grace" but you're just trying to put square pegs in round holes.</font color=purple><br> <br>Pilgrim continues: We, the sons of God and of the Reformation rejoice in our Saviour, Who has procured ALL that is necessary for our redemption. There is NOTHING we need do but rest in Him and His sufficient atonement.<br> <br>[color:purple]Scott replies: The "sons of the Reformation" are nothing but protestors against Christ's Church that He founded and existed some 1500 years prior to the revolt. That same Church exists today, and will until Christ returns in glory, just as He promised ith would.</font color=purple><br> <br>

#607 Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:37 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:

Scott replies: Pilgrim, it appears that you too have not followed the point I raised with Paul_S. I realize you've been taught that Catholics practice a works/salvation system - and I realize it's difficult to admit that all those who preach that nonsense are wrong - but that doesn't change the fact that they are wrong. I clearly laid out and echoed what the context of: "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees . . ." was, and that was that St. Paul was preaching against works of the law. That, in fact, is the focal point of nearly all of St. Paul's references to "works," but especially this one. Catholicism is not about "works of the law" but, "works done in the state of grace." It goes without saying that grace preceeds such works. What is faith without works? Can such a faith save you? Please, answer me that.

The fact is that I did follow the point which Paul_S made and your response to it. The fact is that you are either incapable of comprehending it and/or you are ensnared by your own obstinance against the truth of it. As I wrote before, and it shall be my refrain forever more, the Roman Catholic church speaks of "grace" but in fact it is works+grace=salvation that it teaches. And for your information and for the record, the fact is that no one taught me to believe that the RCC teaches synergism. It is fact that it is taught throughout its OFFICIAL documentation and was made most clear at the Council of Trent although it has been iterated profusely and in myriad ways before and since that document was written. In fact, you have spent some time trying to defend this fact even here over the past few weeks. grin

The fact is that Rome has consistently denied that faith alone, apart from works of ANY KIND, although truth faith is evidenced in "good works", contributes anything to justification. Remember the phrase:

simul iustus et peccator
It is Christ's "work" that is IMPUTED to the sinner; not the sinner's alleged "good works" that are appended to faith. Nor, is Christ's "work" infused into a sinner which is then co-mingled with faith unto justification. Your sophistry in trying to distinguish between "works of the law" and "works done in the state of grace" can never be defended from Scripture as has been shown by countless men over the centuries.
In reply to:

The "sons of the Reformation" are nothing but protestors against Christ's Church that He founded and existed some 1500 years prior to the revolt. That same Church exists today, and will continue until Christ returns in glory, just as He promised it would.

That the RCC is the Church that Christ founded is not fact but presumption on your part. For, Christ never founded His church on a teaching of a synergistic salvation, but upon Sola Scriptura, Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus and Soli Deo Gloria. The fact is that the Reformers never protested against the CHURCH, but against the horrid corruption which Rome had introduced into the CHURCH. And let's get the facts straight, shall we? There were many who lived long before Luther who held to the doctrines of GRACE. Rome tried desperately to annihilate all vestiges of those who held to the truth of the Gospel. But as Christ promised, "I shall build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." So, my friend, we who hold tenaciously to the hem of Christ's garment in faith alone are still here. And we shall oppose Rome and her abominable doctrines of works salvation until Christ returns to gather His elect from the four corners of the globe. We shall then co-judge with Him and see Rome and all those she has deceived cast into the Lake of Fire to the glory of God. That is a fact!! joy

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#608 Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:29 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Scott,

In spite of your refusal to answer my earlier questions, claiming a misapplication of the Scripture to which they referred (in which you are dangerously mistaken), I am submitting an additional set of questions--[color:blue]implying no acquiescence on the earlier set--using terms to which I cannot conceive you objecting, the terms being your very own, as you stated: [color:red]Catholicism is not about "works of the law" but, "works done in the state of grace."

Please answer the following questions:

1) At this moment, are you [color:red]doing works in the state of grace?

2) What assures you of the truth of your answer to #1?

3) Will you continue [color:red]doing works in the state of grace until the consummation of all things?

4) What assures you of the truth of your answer to #3?

5) What comfort, if any, does your reason for your responses to these questions give you?

Last edited by Paul_S; Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:10 AM.

In Christ,
Paul S
#609 Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:28 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Scott,
In reply to:

I realize you've been taught that Catholics practice a works/salvation system - and I realize it's difficult to admit that all those who preach that nonsense are wrong - but that doesn't change the fact that they are wrong

I, like Pilgrim, was also never explicitly taught "that Catholics ...", but it has been impressed upon me with every contact with Roman Catholic materials and "teachers of the Law".

Let the reader deduce the place of works in salvation from this [color:purple]official example, culled from the Baltimore Catechism, noting both what is AND IS NOT being said:

LESSON TENTH: On the Effects of the Redemption

Q. 452. What did Adam give away by his sin, and what did Our Lord buy back for him and us?
A. By his sin Adam gave away all right to God's promised gifts of grace in this world and of glory in the next, and Our Lord bought back the right that Adam threw away.

Q. 453. Which are the chief effects of the Redemption?
A. The chief effects of the Redemption are two: The satisfaction of God's justice by Christ's sufferings and death, and the gaining of grace for men.

:

Q. 456. What do you mean by grace?
A. By grace I mean a supernatural gift of God bestowed on us, through the merits of Jesus Christ, for our salvation.

:

Q. 458. What do you mean by "merit"?
A. Merit means the quality of deserving well or ill for our actions. In the question above it means a right to reward for good deeds done.

:

Q. 461. What is sanctifying grace?
A. Sanctifying grace is that grace which makes the soul holy and pleasing to God.

:

Q. 465. What is Faith?
A. Faith is a Divine virtue by which we firmly believe the truths which God has revealed.

Q. 466. What is Hope?
A. Hope is a Divine virtue by which we firmly trust that God will give us eternal life and the means to obtain it.

:

Q. 468. Why are Faith, Hope and Charity called virtues?
A. Faith, Hope and Charity are called virtues because they are not mere acts, but habits by which we [color:red]always and in all things believe God, hope in Him, and love Him.

:

Q. 475. What is actual grace?
A. Actual grace is that help of God which enlightens our mind and moves our will to shun evil and do good.

Q. 476. Is grace necessary to salvation?
A. Grace is necessary to salvation, because without grace we can [color:purple]do nothing to [color:red]merit heaven.

:

Q. 479. Does God give His grace to every one?
A. God gives to everyone He creates sufficient grace to save his soul; and if persons do not save their souls, it is [color:red]because they have not [color:purple]used the grace given.

:

Q. 482. Can a person merit any supernatural reward for good deeds performed while he is in mortal sin?
A. A person cannot merit any supernatural reward for good deeds performed while he is in mortal sin; nevertheless, God rewards such good deeds by giving the grace of repentance; and, therefore, all persons, even those in mortal sin, should ever strive to do good.

Q. 483. Does God reward anything but our good works?
A. God rewards our good intention and desire to serve Him, [color:red]even when our works are not successful. We should make this good intention often during the day, and [color:green]especially in the morning[Linked Image].

Last edited by Paul_S; Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:51 AM.

In Christ,
Paul S
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 90 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,513,637 Gospel truth