JesusFan,
re: "I mustbe misunderstanding you here, what was the gist of your question then?"

OK, let my repeat:
The Messiah said that 3 night times would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth".

There are those who believe that the Messiah died on the 6th day of the week and who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the time between the leaving of His spirit from His body and His resurrection on the 1st day of the week.

But this belief allows for only 2 night times to be involved between the time of His death and the time of His resurrection.

To reconcile this discrepancy some say that the Messiah was using common Jewish figure of speech/colloquial language.

I am simply asking for examples to support that assertion; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred. But in order to say that it was common, one would have to know of other instances where the same pattern had to have been used. I am simply looking for some of those instances, scriptural or otherwise.