Donations for the month of August

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,064
Posts52,498
Members948
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,802
Tom 3,842
chestnutmare 3,040
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,799
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 9
Recent Posts
1 Peter 3:15-16
by Tom. Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:49 AM
Sad Times
by Tom. Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:40 PM
"Homeschooling: A 5-Part Series" by Dr. Paul M. Elliott
by Pilgrim. Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:00 AM
Total Depravity
by Pilgrim. Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:51 AM
CH Spurgeon on Charles Finney
by Tom. Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:18 PM
He Will Never Come To Christ ~ A.W. Pink
by Rick Bates. Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Why did Christ came into this world? #56278
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:30 PM
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:30 PM
South Africa
Johan Offline OP

Enthusiast
Johan  Offline OP

Enthusiast
South Africa
Good day everyone. It has been many many months since I posted something here. The last couple of years were extremely busy. And still is.

Here in SA we are still in some kind of a lock down situation due to the Covid-19 pandemic. One of the things following from the lock down are spiritual messages on Whatsapp and FB. In one of these messages the following was said by the pastor (the original is in Afrikaans but my summary here is accurate enough):

We believe that God calls all believers. God loves his earth, this world which he created even if it is so different from the world to come which the Apostle Peter describes. Therefore, in his grace/mercy He does not leave this world to itself to sink further into corruption and decay. He intervened by sending his Son into the world to counter the corruption and meaninglessness, to bring the world again to its original purpose, which is to honour God.

My question is: did the Father send the Son into this world as an intervention to counter the corruption and to bring THIS world to its original purpose?

My own answer is no, this is not why Christ came into the world, but I would like to hear what others say about this statement by the pastor.

Re: Why did Christ came into this world? [Re: Johan] #56279
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:24 AM
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:24 AM
NH, USA
Pilgrim Online content

Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Online Content

Head Honcho
NH, USA
Originally Posted by Johan

We believe that God calls all believers. God loves his earth, this world which he created even if it is so different from the world to come which the Apostle Peter describes. Therefore, in his grace/mercy He does not leave this world to itself to sink further into corruption and decay. He intervened by sending his Son into the world to counter the corruption and meaninglessness, to bring the world again to its original purpose, which is to honour God.

My question is: did the Father send the Son into this world as an intervention to counter the corruption and to bring THIS world to its original purpose?

My own answer is no, this is not why Christ came into the world, but I would like to hear what others say about this statement by the pastor.

I agree. Christ was not sent into this world to stop the corruption of the physical earth nor to stop or curb sin. Scripture plainly states in myriad places that the Son came to earth taking upon Himself human flesh to redeem a people for Himself. These "called out ones" (the elect) are called OUT of this world, albeit they still live in this world (Jh 17:14; 1Jh 2:15, 5:18-21; 2Cor 6:14-18; et al) . They are separate and separated from this world being sanctified by the indwelling Spirit in preparation for the New Heaven and New Earth where righteousness dwells. Restoration of this world cannot be done by 'Social Justice', 'racial equality', 'gender identity', 'climate change', etc., etc., ad nauseam. Restoration will be done by God's hand by first destroying the present world by fire and then being re-made. The result will make the original world pale in comparison to its beauty and perfection (cf. 2 Pet 3).

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Re: Why did Christ came into this world? [Re: Johan] #56296
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:33 PM
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:33 PM
Los Angeles
G
godrulez Offline
Plebeian
godrulez  Offline
Plebeian
G
Los Angeles
John says for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son. However that is only one verse of many. We also hear Paul speak about God's purposes in election and that God is in fact electing certain people to salvation. We live among the fallen sinners the weeds and this is how it will be until the new heaven and earth.

It's all by God's grace we even have faith to believe. Dead in our sins and trespasses doesn't sound like we have much choice in the matter or that people will be reclaimed by our actions. We do come to trust Christ but first need to be drawn by the Father to the son. So, it's all grace no matter how you slice it.

This world is passing away and the way things look at the moment I would say it will be sooner rather than later.

The Westminster Confession of Faith says this about how active we are in our calling.

CHAPTER 10
Of Effectual Calling
1. All those whom God hath predestinated unto life, and those only, he is pleased, in his appointed and accepted time, effectually to call, by his Word and Spirit, out of that state of sin and death, in which they are by nature, to grace and salvation, by Jesus Christ; enlightening their minds spiritually and savingly to understand the things of God, taking away their heart of stone, and giving unto them a heart of flesh; renewing their wills, and, by his almighty power, determining them to that which is good, and effectually drawing them to Jesus Christ: yet so, as they come most freely, being made willing by his grace.

2. This effectual call is of God's free and special grace alone, not from anything at all foreseen in man, who is altogether passive therein, until, being quickened and renewed by the Holy Spirit, he is thereby enabled to answer this call, and to embrace the grace offered and conveyed in it.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 57 guests, and 36 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
godrulez, Wood, David Clarke, CharlieFry, Michaelpatrick
948 Registered Users
Shout Box
August
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
1,113,537 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.043s Queries: 15 (0.002s) Memory: 2.8300 MB (Peak: 3.1001 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2020-08-10 01:56:01 UTC