Donations for the month of May

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,792
Posts54,932
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,464
Tom 4,533
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,867
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 11
Tom 10
John_C 1
Recent Posts
American Election
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 AM
Nouthetic Counseling
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 AM
N.T. Wright
by Pilgrim - Fri May 03, 2024 6:47 PM
The Righteousness of God - Horatius Bonar
by Pilgrim - Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#34170 Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:28 PM
Wes Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
In another thread we've been discussing forgiveness and how it is looked upon by the Amish people after the recent tragedy in Lancaster County. Well, it made me think about something I've heard before. I've heard two schools of thought on forgiveness. One teaches forgiveness but don't forget, and the other promotes the idea of forgive and forget. Can we do one without the other or does it require both?

Michael Horton wrote: ”For those who believe, the church must show the (functional) forgiveness she preaches, treating them as those wiped clean. Forget the past? No. But promise not to drag it into the present! And for those who will not repent, who live stubbornly in their sins, the church must “worry them” like a child “worries” a loose tooth, refusing to give up until the issue is settled, reminding them always that God will not ignore unrepentant sin, but bind it to them like a deep tattoo on a sailor’s chest.”

Years ago when old Robert A. Cook from the Kings College was still on the radio I remember him saying that when it comes to forgiveness sometimes we like to bury the axe but still leave the handle sticking out of the ground. That way just in case we need to bring it up again we can find it. He would ask his audience, "Is that true forgiveness?" Then he would go on to say that true forgiveness should bury the axe handle and all so that it is truly forgiven and never to be brought up again.

When we forgive someone are we required to forget? Is keeping a record of wrongs a denial of true forgiveness?

Any thoughts?

Wes

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts
Wes #34171 Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:14 AM
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
What is the definition of 'forget' here? For instance, say if someone snipes behind your back in a gossipy, critcal way. You confront the person and he/she apologize and ask forgiveness. You forgive them, but later you find he/she doing the same type of sniping. Before confronting he/she again do you ignore the previous offense, and treat this as the first time.

IOW, what do you do with a person when he/she is willing to apologize and ask forgiveness for the individual offense, but do not see the need to repent (or get help) in their sinful pattern of behavior.

How do we discern if the person is genuinely sorry, or that they just got caught.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #34172 Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:57 PM
Wes Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
John_C said:

What is the definition of 'forget' here?

Putting the offense behind us and not bringing it up again. Not allowing it to be an ongoing obstacle in our relationship. Making a commitment to let go of the anger, hurt, and pain over this offense.

John C. writes:

For instance, say if someone snipes behind your back in a gossipy, critical way. You confront the person and he/she apologize and ask forgiveness. You forgive them, but later you find he/she doing the same type of sniping. Before confronting he/she again do you ignore the previous offense, and treat this as the first time.

IOW, what do you do with a person when he/she is willing to apologize and ask forgiveness for the individual offense, but do not see the need to repent (or get help) in their sinful pattern of behavior.

In my opinion we should always be ready to forgive (see Matt. 18:22) but if the individual continues to do what they previously confessed we should confront them and point out how meaningless their previous apology was. It's hard to put behind you what continues to happen. Their actions demonstrate an unrepentant attitude and that they cannot be trusted. In such cases it isn't a matter of remembering their former offenses so much as pointing out that they haven't truly repented of this offense. In fact it has become a habitual offensive action.

John C. Writes:

How do we discern if the person is genuinely sorry, or that they just got caught.

That's a really good question. It can be hard to tell unless we see a change in attitude and actions regarding the previous offense. Sometimes getting caught can be the pathway to true repentance too.

Wes

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,515,166 Gospel truth