Kyle,

Thanks for your post and future prayers.

Kyle said:
I do not see that Reformed theology has done wrong here, my friend. Indeed, were it not for the truth of Total Depravity which was the one thing I knew to be true, I would not count myself Reformed today.

Kyle I'm sorry but I can almost say that this is off thread.

The Lord knows that I know I am a sinner.

The issue remains on whether we are still free moral agents with total responsibility for our sins with punishment due in our own person, that is, unless our sins have been propituated. My charge is that if God had given us or even allowed a changed or corrupted "sinful nature", God logically then, becomes the author of sin.

And you were dead in your trespasses and sins

This is true because we are sinners of necessity in this world. We are born ignorant of what should be to us obvious. It is not that we are not still created "good" and in God's image but that we have been condemned to a world in which we are "on our own" and sinfully believing that we have no need of God's gracious justification, guidance and authority. This was the wish of Adam in his original sin. And this is why we must be born again.

Calvin agrees with this in his Short Treatise:

many inquire not to know the truth, but to get answers to their liking. And our Lord, in order to punish them for their hypocrisy, lets them find what they are seeking.

This is exactly what Adam did, as he was not deceived, and this is exactly what the Lord did in giving Adam and Eve their own world under their own administration that He had created. In His infinite wisdom He gave Adam and therefore Adam's children their heart's desire without changing their nature in any way.

Jesus also agrees that this is what God would do, in Matthew 5:40:

If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.

We must remember that the sin of Adam was in the legal context of the covenant of works. Adam's sin was therefore the world's first lawsuit.

Denny

Romans 3:22-24

Denny

Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." [John 6:68]