Adopted said:
The issue remains on whether we are still free moral agents with total responsibility for our sins with punishment due in our own person, that is, unless our sins have been propituated. My charge is that if God had given us or even allowed a changed or corrupted "sinful nature", God logically then, becomes the author of sin.
Denny,

1) ALL men are born as "free moral agents"! Calvinism not only denies the contrary but is the one system which stresses it more than another other, thus making ALL men responsible for their individual choices. However, there is a vast chasm between being a "free moral agent" and having a "free will", i.e., the ability to choose contrary to one's nature. A free moral agent has total freedom to choose according to his desires which flow from one's nature. If that nature is spiritual dead (corrupt, depraved), then it will and CAN only choose sin.

2) Let's take your proposition that if "God had given us or even allowed a changed or corrupted sinful nature, God logically then, becomes the author of sin" and apply it to another example. If a father sets defined parameters within his household to which his children must comply, else receive punishment and a child violates one of those rules, the child is legally subject to the punishment for that violation. Not many would argue that the father has no right to punish the child. But the punishment given does not make the father guilty of the child's transgression.

Likewise, God told Adam that in the very day he ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, he would surely die; i.e., he would suffer a tri-fold death: spiritual, physical and eternal. That spiritual death we call "total depravity", aka: a corrupt nature. This corruption effected Adam and Eve in their "predisposition/inclination" toward God. Where originally, they were predisposed/inclined to love God and to seek after perfect obedience before Him. Should they disobey the singular law given them, that disposition/inclination would be forfeited. Now, is it logical that God can be charged with being guilty of sin because Adam sinned? or that Adam received the just punishment due to his transgression? NO.... may God be true and all men liars. God did not CREATE Adam with a corrupt nature; he was created "very good". Adam suffered the punishment DUE as a result of his transgression. An earthly Judge is not guilty of some heinous crime for sentencing a convicted murderer to death. God could have vaporized Adam and Eve if He willed. Rather He chose to simply remove that which was given to Adam out of His own good pleasure.

Romans 9:14-24 (ASV) "What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that hath mercy. For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, For this very purpose did I raise thee up, that I might show in thee my power, and that my name might be published abroad in all the earth. So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will be hardeneth. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he still find fault? For who withstandeth his will? Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus? Or hath not the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor? What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering vessels of wrath fitted unto destruction: and that he might make known the riches of his glory upon vessels of mercy, which he afore prepared unto glory, [even] us, whom he also called, not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles?"

It was also God's perfect will to appoint Adam as the Federal Head of the human race. And, thus whatever Adam chose to do would have a lasting affect upon all his progeny. (cf. Rom 5:12-18) And it is upon this very principle of corporate solidarity (Federal Headship) that sinners are saved in Christ. To deny the former of necessity denies the latter. Deny Adam's headship, his transgression with the commensurate punishment of depravity and guilt upon himself and all who are born of him, is to deny Christ's headship and the blessing of salvation upon all those who are given to believe upon Him.

Lastly, I would still like to know who, what and/or where you have come upon this evil influence that has evidently caused you to fall away from the truth which is in Christ Jesus?

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]