But then who can just skim Owen?

No we can't skim, here is a quote by Owen that I just can not believe. Could someone check me out on this?

The works of John Owen - Vol 10
The Death of Christ
Chapter 4- Farther of the Matter of the Satisfaction Of Christ
Pages 270-271

First, The foundation of this whole assertion seems to me to be false and erroneous, namely, that God could not have mercy on mankind unless satisfaction were made by his Son. It is true, indeed, supposing the decree, purpose, and constitution of God that so it should be, that so he would manifest his glory, by the way of vindicative justice, it was impossible that it should otherwise be; for with the Lord there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning,James 1:17; 1 Samuel 15:29: but to assert positively, that absolutely and antecedently to his constitution he could not have done it, is to me an unwritten tradition, the Scripture affirming no such thing, neither can it be gathered from thence in any good consequence. If any one shall deny this, we will try what the Lord will enable us to say unto it, and in the meantime rest contented in that of Augustine: Though other ways of saving us were not wanting to his infinite wisdom, yet certainly the way which he did proceed in was the most convenient, because we find he proceeded therein.